Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Strange static noises using sound font files

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  A_Paganini 
#1 ·
I get strange static "tics" on the master track after I recorded. I found out that I comes from my sf2 files. Whenever I attach an sf2 file to my project (cakewalk 2xl) and I playback the composed track, there's some kind of static on the track ; some "spits" and "ticks" here and there. Could it be because I have only a 900mhz processor? (I have 768mgRam so I guess its not a mem problem...) Or could it be something else? Anyone who has whatever knowledge on sf2 files, I would be VERY happy to hear from. Thanks for your help.
-Mathieu

#3 ·
I isolate the problem by mixing-down only the sf2 track (was a piano file downloaded from hammersound) and making a master track out of it. Then I listen to it and there was "ticks" and "spits". I cleaned it a bit but I can't get rid of them all. The master file is on "mp3.com" ; search for "Mathieu Bourgon", you should find me. (the approval takes about 2 week so my guess is by the second week of feb. you should see what I mean.
-Mathieu

#4 ·
That sounds like a clocking issue. What is the sample rate and are you feeding any type of digital audio or have any digital devices conected to your system? If not make sure that your sync reference is set to internal (probably somewhere in preferences)

Need more details, feel free to MSN me.

#7 ·
Here's my assesment...
It's either the sound font or...

Ive been using sound fonts for a few years (since the live card came out)
Since youre using the PC that has the SF loaded on it to record also... you may have a problem with memory usage... Since the SF takes up physical RAM, you may be short changing yourself when it comes to the actual recording. If you have the means (just as a test) play the tracks to some kind of external recorder (even a tape deck) and see if you get the problem.
If you find the track is clean, get some more RAM.
I was using a P2 450 with 256M and had no problems

Im doubting its a clockinig issue since the card converts the SF to analog and then reconverts it to digital to make the wav out of it.

If you want some SF's lemme know, I have about a gig and a half, I'd be more than willing to share! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.