<back   Jemsite > Guitars and Gear > Recording Studio

Recording Studio To discuss recording gear, home studios, home studio PCs, studio techniques and the likes.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 1

Re: Studio Monitors

1) every buck spent on trading the room acoustically will make every buck spent on monitors sound like 3 bucks.....

2) i prefer to use "sealed box" or "infinite baffle" designs..... as they do not exhibit the bass smearing due to port resonance that is inherent in reflex loaded designs.... (and that applies to passive radiators like the schmuckies as well.... ) the NS10 is an example, but although it has a really good time domain response, it SOUNDS horrible... it IS possible to achieve that kind of time domain response and still sound nice doing it.....

Sadly there aren't a lot of them around, and none are very cheap././.. probably the best value is the Acoustic Energy AE22 ....

I find most genelecs a bit brittle and harsh,

of the ported designs, i'm happy enough to use ADAM speakers.... I have a number of clients with assorted models of theirs.....

next step up the unported ladder from the AE22 is the Klein&Hummel (now Neumann) O300 ... a lovely, if a tad pricey near field 3 way sealed box design.....

you should hear the SPAcoustics SP1MLA set i have in the studio...... absolutely gobsmacking.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM

reading back on this thread, i noticed where i was at that time... i have since purchased the adam a7's and they are AMAZING speakers. i can't even believe i tried to mix with the RP8's before. those have been moved to tracking duty. since this post, many new studio nearfields have come out and i still recommend the adams over most, but the dynaudio and yamaha get mad love. i rarely ever have to remix due to a bad mix, i usually have to remix to dumb down my mixes for the real world. the a7(i have a sub so i don't need the a7x) have an incredible stereo spread and i can gauge the placement and levels so well, i find it hard to listen on other systems. spoil yourself and get good speakers. we as guitar players will spend tons of money on a new guitar or amp, but when it comes to putting our best foot forward to the outside world to hear us, we will cheap out on a set of behringer truths and a line6 guitar DI.

rich
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Mac View Post
1) every buck spent on trading the room acoustically will make every buck spent on monitors sound like 3 bucks.....

2) i prefer to use "sealed box" or "infinite baffle" designs..... as they do not exhibit the bass smearing due to port resonance that is inherent in reflex loaded designs.... (and that applies to passive radiators like the schmuckies as well.... ) the NS10 is an example, but although it has a really good time domain response, it SOUNDS horrible... it IS possible to achieve that kind of time domain response and still sound nice doing it.....

Sadly there aren't a lot of them around, and none are very cheap././.. probably the best value is the Acoustic Energy AE22 ....

I find most genelecs a bit brittle and harsh,

of the ported designs, i'm happy enough to use ADAM speakers.... I have a number of clients with assorted models of theirs.....

next step up the unported ladder from the AE22 is the Klein&Hummel (now Neumann) O300 ... a lovely, if a tad pricey near field 3 way sealed box design.....

you should hear the SPAcoustics SP1MLA set i have in the studio...... absolutely gobsmacking.
i hear nothing but good from those KH neumanns. i wanted the event opals, but i really want those neumanns....

rich
Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
reading back on this thread, i noticed where i was at that time... i have since purchased the adam a7's and they are AMAZING speakers. i can't even believe i tried to mix with the RP8's before. those have been moved to tracking duty. since this post, many new studio nearfields have come out and i still recommend the adams over most, but the dynaudio and yamaha get mad love. i rarely ever have to remix due to a bad mix, i usually have to remix to dumb down my mixes for the real world. the a7(i have a sub so i don't need the a7x) have an incredible stereo spread and i can gauge the placement and levels so well, i find it hard to listen on other systems. spoil yourself and get good speakers. we as guitar players will spend tons of money on a new guitar or amp, but when it comes to putting our best foot forward to the outside world to hear us, we will cheap out on a set of behringer truths and a line6 guitar DI.

rich
I also used Adam A7X personally, and they are great for mixing. The best monitor I have used so far have to be Genelec 1032A. I used the Genelec 1032A at work and by far it is the best monitor to mix on. The mix is very clear and accurate coming from Genelec 1032A. They are just out of my price range for home use.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:17 PM

I've been using the Yamaha HS80s, but am looking at getting some 5" Mackies possibly, the 8" are just way to large for my small room and only doing basic bedroom mixes and would like to try out a different brand.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 PM

I really liked the Mackie HR624's if you're looking for something small. A friend of mine has a pair of MR5's and really likes them. I didnt like them nearly as much as the HR's, but not bad on a budget.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM

Having never heard studio monitors before and recording solely through headphones, I just bought my first set of studio monitors, Tannoy Reveal 601a's, and they sound incredible! I have never heard music played so clearly. I'm well aware of where the Tannoy's Reveals stand in the hierarchy of studio monitors which makes me wonder what professional studio monitors that have 3 or 4 zeros at the end of the price tag sound like.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Having never heard studio monitors before and recording solely through headphones, I just bought my first set of studio monitors, Tannoy Reveal 601a's, and they sound incredible! I have never heard music played so clearly. I'm well aware of where the Tannoy's Reveals stand in the hierarchy of studio monitors which makes me wonder what professional studio monitors that have 3 or 4 zeros at the end of the price tag sound like.
listening to good monitors is like leaving the matrix. welcome to the really real world.

rich
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Also, check the M-Audio BXa8 Deluxes if you can get a pair since they've introduced a new model this year.

Jimmy
i got the M-Audios and they stink

too much top and mid mid - sounds rank . .

so im also looking
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 PM
(a)

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydonut View Post

so im also looking
What's your budget?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 AM

Just got the m-audio av40 pair for 150, and they work fine. not the loudest, but sounds real good. my studio is small 12x12 room and these are perfect.
I do metal, and techno type metal.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM

+1 to Max the Mac statement

Without any acoustical treatment you hear the room, not the speakers. The graphs and ''flatness'' speaker companies put on their boxes were produced in anechoic chambers, which have little to do with regular home studios.
My suggestion is to buy a good book on acoustic treatment, reading it, appling the princips to the extention of the financial capacity and only then investing in studio monitors.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydonut View Post

so im also looking
That sucks to hear....

I just picked up a mint pair of M-Audio BXa8 Deluxes for $200 to play my RP500 through and they sound freaking incredible compared to anything else I've ever played an effects unit through...

I guess if I was mixing tracks my results may be different, but using them for a "guitar amp" is tits
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM

mackie mr8 mk2 FTW. Best semi professional studio monitors out there!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

I'm probably going to regret resurecting this thread..... but here goes.

I'm starting to "gear-up" for some bedroom recording work again. My last efforts ended in a ridiculous amount of time going between my computer station, CD-player, and my car to check mixes. The end result still sucked. I was using my Klipsch Audio "desktop Pro 2.1" computer monitors..........talk about "color".

So now I'm starting the search for decent, value priced, powered monitors.

My room is an acoustic nightmare and will remain so. I have wood EVERYWHERE, windows and mirrors.....etc. I can't change any of this so I don't want to spend a ton of money on great monitors only to be used in a "tin room". Added to that, my budget is in the $300-$350 range for a pair.

I'm using CuBase-5le, EZDrummer for drum tracks, my Lexicon Omega for keyboard/mic'd tracks, and my Line6 HD500 for guitar tracks. As you can see- this is a budget system all around.

Now the question-

What set of monitors will give the best "bang for my buck" in my price range and, more importantly, WHY are they the best I can do?

There have already been a ton of suggestions in this thread, but "They're AWESOME!!" or "They sound great!!" doesn't help me. I need to know why they sound great and what environment they sound great in....... will they sound great in mine??

As a side note: I really need these for tracking and basic mixdown. I can do final mastering in a real studio.

Show/Hide Posting Rules