<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:32 AM

Are DiMarzios Tagged with Stickers now?

I got this DiMarzio Super 3 and on the back of it was a white sticker with "DP152" handwritten on it. So far I've only known DiMarzios to have the DP number engraved on it.
Anyone else get them like this?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:19 AM

Re: Are DiMarzios Tagged with Stickers now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar View Post
I got this DiMarzio Super 3 and on the back of it was a white sticker with "DP152" handwritten on it. So far I've only known DiMarzios to have the DP number engraved on it.
Anyone else get them like this?
i bought new ones a little under a month ago and they were ingraved

but thats not to say to save money they are using stickers now?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 AM
(a)

ive not seen that but... I have bought a few that have had no identification on them at all....
no stamping and no sticker either....
Old 11-26-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
ive not seen that but... I have bought a few that have had no identification on them at all....
no stamping and no sticker either....
hmm...usually the older dimarzios have no model markings.
it's just "dimarzio pickups,made in usa" engraved.
For instance,I have old PAF Pro somewhere in my room,and it has no model label as well.
On "new" models they started to engrave the model markings "DP XXX".

As for the sticker labeling,I dunno nothing about that,haven't seen it so far.
However,that doesn't sound like a good method to me.On that way it will be far easier to manipulate with models.Don't be suprized if you get an air norton instead of tonezone or similar,one day
Old 11-26-2006, 08:49 AM

The Super 3 is a new catalog item. They've always made it, but this is the first year that its a normal catalog item. Before this year they we made on a call only basis.
Its possible that some early production ones needed to be hand tagged to make or fill an order. The ones they make for my endorsement are hand tagged also.
If you go to the Super 3 page on the Dimarzio site, you'll hear my sound samples for that particular pup.
God bless,
Kevin
Old 11-26-2006, 11:41 AM

It's not a new catalog item. They just stopped putting it in catalogs. I have two older catalogs where it is featured. It isn't special order either. You could always get it on MF like any other pickup.
This is my 4th Super 3 and I've never seen one with a stickered, handwritten model # on it.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar View Post
It's not a new catalog item. They just stopped putting it in catalogs. I have two older catalogs where it is featured. It isn't special order either. You could always get it on MF like any other pickup.
This is my 4th Super 3 and I've never seen one with a stickered, handwritten model # on it.
right with ya.
the only new dimarzios i got that were hand written were red air norton, red tone zones. all the others were standard stamp. now, did you have to special order the super3? if you did, they had to custom wind it. thus meaning the sticker. the last super3 i got was in purple...it took a month to get it in due to having custom wind it. it was about a year ago, so i believe it was stamped, but then it has been a year since i dropped it in. i will be ordering a purple fred in the next few months and will know more then.

rich
Old 11-26-2006, 12:13 PM

brand new breed neck DP165. sticker. and the stickers are not even printed like SD. they are written by hand. it looks cheezy after seeing the engraved/stamped method all these years. but i suppose as long as that sticker doesn't fall off it's fine.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
right with ya.
the only new dimarzios i got that were hand written were red air norton, red tone zones. all the others were standard stamp. now, did you have to special order the super3? if you did, they had to custom wind it. thus meaning the sticker. the last super3 i got was in purple...it took a month to get it in due to having custom wind it. it was about a year ago, so i believe it was stamped, but then it has been a year since i dropped it in. i will be ordering a purple fred in the next few months and will know more then.

rich
Thanks for sharing the info guys! Blucher had told me back in September that they hadn't offered it in the catalog before that it was a "call" item. Crazy.
I do know that of the four pups I just got from them, 2 have hand written stickies on them and the other 2 have nothing on them at all.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
now, did you have to special order the super3?

rich
No, I got it from a dealer. I've been it contact with DiMarzio. They said they do use stickers occasionally. I was just worried it might not be a real DiMarzio, like a counterfeit.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:16 PM

I just got some DiMarzio single-coils that have stickers instead of being stamped ... but those are printed stickers, not handwritten ones. Looks like it will probably fall off after a few years.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM

I just got a new Humbucker from Hell and it had the sticker on it as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 AM

I recently puchased a FRED that was also tagged with a DP153 handwritten sticker. I guess it's ok since many of you guys have seen something like that. I too was afraid of counterfeit stuff.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 PM

the Evo i just put in my bridge was hand written as well...???
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 PM

I emailed Dimarzio and they say that they sometimes tag the pickups with handwritten stickers, nothing unusual. I guess we can be rest assured now.

Tags
air norton, dimarzio pickup, dimarzio pickups, paf pro, tone zone

Show/Hide Posting Rules