<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 5

Best pickups for Swamp Ash?

Well, later in the year, I think I'm getting a Carvin. I've been interested in them since I've heard a lot of good things about them, and of how you can essentially design your own guitar. So, the kind I'm currently looking at getting is a through-body HSH guitar with a maple/koa neck and a swamp ash body, as well as a wilkinson tremolo. Now, after hearing samples of the Carvin humbuckers, I'm thinking I'll exchange them for some Dimarzio's, since they're so well-priced and I have the best experience with them (mind you, this is all hypothetical, I might end up loving the Carvin's).

Based on experience, one pickup combo I might end up going with is the Breed in the neck and Evo 2 in the bridge. The breed is warm and thick, while the Evo 2 (from what I read) is a more complex version of the Evolution, which is awesome, based on how Swamp Ash has random mid-range combing. However, I'm into trying new things, and the Crunch Lab has really caught my attention. I heard that with the metal bar facing the bridge, it sounds really clean, with thick lows and a mid-range that "sets it apart" (based on a review I read). Plus, I'm a huge Petrucci fan, so I might go for that. I also want pickups that sound pretty good when the coils are split.

But my question is what would be the best neck pickup for this type of guitar, based on this set-up? I'm looking for something really warm, but neither muddy of glassy-clean. A high mid-range would also be a plus. Also, which combination of pickups that I've chosen do you think would be best, or do you think I could do better? I love how Swamp Ash sounds, butI never messed around with it before, so a lot of this is new to me

Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Re: Best pickups for Swamp Ash?

In Swamp Ash? Joe Barden HB two tone and Strat pickups. You'll never look back.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Ouch. That looks sexy alright, but it's WAY out of my price-range. That's more than twice the price of any of the other pickups I listed... still, if price wasn't an option....lol

As for the Strat pickup idea, I was actually planning on replacing the middle Carvin stock pickup with a spare Strat pup I had if I was unhappy with it. So I'll take that into account

But I'm leaning towards Dimarzios mainly because of the price and because I want a pickup I can play around with (such as the Crunch Lab). I'm open to any pickup suggestions as long as they're in that price-range.

Last edited by EXshad; 09-16-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 AM

Reviews: 2

I haven't played with swamp ash alot, but my father built quite a few guitars with "regular" ash. One of them is mine, equipped with Tone Zone and Paf Pro. Sounds awesome. At least two of custom guitars were built with Evolutions and customers are very happy. I have Crunch Lab/Liquifire in basswood RG and they are awesome pickups, wouldn't hesitate to put them in any kind of wood.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Well then, I think that settles it for me! I'm definitely getting a Crunch Lab, since I have not heard one bad thing about it from anyone. I wanna try it with the metal bar facing the bridge though, just to experiment

For the neck though, I think I'll get a Fred. I love the PAF Pro, but for Swamp Ash, I want something with a bit more mid-range, and the Fred seems to fit that bill perfectly. Not to mention, I've heard it exudes some crazy harmonics and a truly unique tone, it almost seems too good to pass up.

Should I go for this set-up?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Don't forget to try Crunch Lab both ways.
As for the neck position, Liquifire is a great match for CL (obviously). It's all about midrange, it's got less bass and treble compared to Air Norton but a bit more power to compensate. It's also got harmonics...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Eh, I've heard plenty of the Crunch Lab in it's normal position. While I like the tone, I heard that (like the D-Sonic) it's even more clear and defined when the pole is reversed. I wanna try it

And I thought about the Liquifire, but I don't wanna completely go Petrucci! While it seems like an excellent neck pickup, the Fred is a pinch louder and seems to have a more balanced EQ, while maintaining some of the other features the Liquifire has, including great sustain and harmonics. Plus, it's a tried and true 20+ year old classic, and thus is cheaper than the brand new Liquifire
Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 AM

I just made a jem copy (swamp ash) and I put Villex pick ups...... (and a lot of other features - a thread is comin up soon)

Tomorrow I am taking her for the first time out in the world, for her first notes to sing and i'll post impressions
Old 09-25-2010, 12:01 PM

I actually have a hypothetical question... say the guitar is set-up as a HSS. Now, the pickups I would select for this setup would be a Crunch Lab in the bridge, a Chopper in the middle, and a Pro Track in the neck. Now, could this be wired in a way that allows the 5-way switch switch to each pickup in humbucker mode in positions 1, 3, and 5, while still splitting the coils in positions 2 and 4 like a Jem or most other HSH guitars?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I've got a Breed in my swamp ask Frankenstein replica, and it screams! Go to dimarzio.com and click pickup selector. Plug in you prefs and see what they recommend.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:07 PM

lol, I know about that feature, but there's so much to consider, like what kind of neck you have, if the body has a top, and the original tone of the pickups themselves which hardly is accounted for.

But I made my decision, I think... I just need to know if I can pull off that wiring configuration xD
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 AM

you can wire it like you described but you need a 4-pole switch (super switch)
Old 09-26-2010, 03:52 PM

What purpose would the 4-pole switch serve? Split the middle humbucker into single-coil mode? I forgot to say, another feature I was thinking of implementing was coil-splitting, via a push/pull pot in the volume knob, which would disable the uppermost coils of the 3 humbuckers, essentially creating a Strat-style setup. Would that do the trick in it's place?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Hmm, if you use a single master tone control you need only two poles, but standard strat switch has only 3 switched lugs per pole with outer two being connected to the common in positions 2 and 4. Since you need to ground coil taps of in positions 2 and 4 only you really need a switch with 5 lugs that will give you that without screwing up other positions. If you need separate tone controls like on the strat, you'll need another pole to do it.

You could split with a switch but you need a 3 pole switch and I don't know of any push-pull pots that have a 3 pole switch. There are toggle 3-pole switches that could do the job. Alternately, you could split only two pickups with a regular switched pot and have a HSS config.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Hmm... well, I plan on having one master volume and master tone switch, so I don't think that would be a problem. Btw, all this is hypothetical, nothing is set in stone yet. While I think I've found the pickups I wanna go with, I'm just playing around with ideas to have a pretty unique set-up compared to the norm. And I really wanna take advantage of the duel-coil sound of the Crunch Lab humbucker. If any of you guys have configurations you think I should mess around with, I'm open for ideas

Another question about both the Pro Track and Chopper pickups... I know they both are single-coil sized humbuckers, and can be coil-split, tapped, wired in parallel, etc... but can they be wired in as standard, hum-canceling single coils?

Last edited by EXshad; 09-26-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Tags
carvin swamp ash pickups

You may also search for:

Show/Hide Posting Rules