<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 AM

żDiMarzio Breed on RGT3020?

Hi guys.

I have an Ibanez RGT3020 wich has a DSonic in the bridge position. The guitar is a neckthrough maple neck, mahogany wing body and maple top. With my previous amp, a Line 6 Flextone III XL (digital modeling) the sound was ok, but now I have a H&K Switchbalde (valve amp) and the sound is harsh and too trebly for me.

I want a more warm/fat sound with tone in the bridge position. I´ve thinking about Breed and Tone Zone, but I´ve read that the last one can be muddy in guitars like mine, but I don´t want to sound thin or harsh and the Tone Zone seems the best choice...żcould you help me?

I mainly play hard-rock covers, and I´m the only guitar player in the band, so I must sound BIG

I´ve read a lot of reviews and certainly is a very difficult selection...I was convinced to go for the Tone Zone, but the Breed Bridge option has grown on me...

Perhaps the Tone Zone is a very focused pickup and it´s an extreme option over the Breed...

I´ve read that the Breed has a very sweet rounded tone but capable of doing fat rythyms, isn´t it?

I´m not looking for an extreme metal sound, but I like a clear fat bottom end when I do palm muting and maybe the Breed is clearer than the TZ in that aspect...?

And by the way, I´m the only guitar player in the band and I can´t stand back in the mix...has the Breed enough to cut in the mix?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Reviews: 23

Re: żDiMarzio Breed on RGT3020?

IMHO the Breed Bridge is great for both lead and rhythm, and is great for what you're after.

Additionally, it's a very dynamic pickup especially with treble bleed and coil splitting.

Can't say exactly if the Breed is a cutting pickup, but so far I've been pleased with it in live situations.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:28 AM

The Breed is a very smooth pickup and it has the perfect output to balance with most other pickups. I used one in my mohagony RG for awhile and found it a bit too smooth, but it sounded damn nice. At the end of the day I opted for The Tone Zone (per usual) because I liked the added attitude. If you're the only guitarist in the band TTZ is probably going to make you stand out quite a bit more. Also, you can fake the Breed with TTZ but you can't fake TTZ with the Breed.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:27 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Hope this helps....... I have an RGT3120 that had the same troubles your describing. When I bought it, it had the TZ/AN combo. This combo did NOT work well in this guitar. It had the same "nasal" qualities your describing. I tried MANY different pickups in the bridge (Fred, Mo Joe, Mega-Drive, Evolution, Evo2) and none of them "evened" out the tone. I also tried a few different wiring options. What I found to work the best, and sound the most like an RG should sound was to go back to the original Paf-Pro's using a 3-way switch, 500k pots, the tone being a push-pull to split the coils, and a .068 mfd orange drop capacitor.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the answers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Hope this helps....... I have an RGT3120 that had the same troubles your describing. When I bought it, it had the TZ/AN combo. This combo did NOT work well in this guitar. It had the same "nasal" qualities your describing. I tried MANY different pickups in the bridge (Fred, Mo Joe, Mega-Drive, Evolution, Evo2) and none of them "evened" out the tone. I also tried a few different wiring options. What I found to work the best, and sound the most like an RG should sound was to go back to the original Paf-Pro's using a 3-way switch, 500k pots, the tone being a push-pull to split the coils, and a .068 mfd orange drop capacitor.
I think it´s the guitar construction...it´s a very harmonic instrument, very "breathing". With a bolt-on neck guitar I´ve discovered that my tone is way more controlled...

The only thing that I know is that I won´t back to the PAF Pro because it´s too bright for me and I need the extra output for certain type os solos...I think I´ll try the Tone Zone to make the tone darker and tweak a little to get the better response from this pickup.

Perhaps the Breed is a good choice too...but the Tone Zone is a reference and It´s difficult to figure out how the Breed will respond in tone (few and poor quality videos around the web...)

Tags
dimarzio breed rgt3020

Show/Hide Posting Rules