<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 PM

DIMARZIO DP101 wiring

Hey yall .....Got this old Dimarzio dp101 in the guitar I just bought, the one I used a High speed grinder to remove most of the paint with? yeh that one lol ....so far so good. almost down to bare wood,just using a sanding block now though ...............ANYHOW- Wondering if anyone is familiar with the DP101 & how to wire it in a 2 humbucker, 1vol, 3way toggle guitar.
Supposedly it rates at 13.6 & is capable of a dual sound if wired that way, I just wanna hook it up for full signal, no fancy stuff. Its a 1974 pickup,so I cant imagine the output being much over 7, but the net says otherwise.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

Re: DIMARZIO DP101 wiring

Do you have a multi-meter? One will be ground, attached to the baseplate. Of the other two wires, the one with the highest resistance is the hot, lower resistance is the split coil.
Google search found this:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pick...wire-hell.html
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Do you have a multi-meter? One will be ground, attached to the baseplate. Of the other two wires, the one with the highest resistance is the hot, lower resistance is the split coil.
Google search found this:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pick...wire-hell.html
the guy on that site says he tied the CLEAR & black wire together (hilighted in red halfway down teh page) .... There is no CLEAR wire, theres a white and a bare, No clear. we know bare is ground, wonder if he confused CLEAR with White maybe.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
the guy on that site says he tied the CLEAR & black wire together (hilighted in red halfway down teh page) .... There is no CLEAR wire, theres a white and a bare, No clear. we know bare is ground, wonder if he confused CLEAR with White maybe.
In this case CLEAR = White. If you look at the install manual for your pickup on dimarzio's site they show the black and white wired together.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
In this case CLEAR = White. If you look at the install manual for your pickup on dimarzio's site they show the black and white wired together.
Oh Ok ... Black/white together taped off
Red/Hot
Bare/ground
Green? gonna have to see if I can find this pickup on the dimarzio site. Green probably gets taped off,not sure. But My huge issue will be how to hook up the Motherbucker(2 humbuckers on one plate) AND this Dimarzio to a 3 ways switch somehow. Im thinking just run both Motherbucker leads onto one Lug at the switch,maybe.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 AM

For the dimarzio bare and green are together. I did a quick google search and found this:

It's not the EXACT same thing, but pretty damn close.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 AM

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...e0Tone000.html

the colors for the wires that correspond to north and south are listed below.

red: north start
white: north finish
black: south finish
green: south start

simple as that, if you have blade style switch use this one

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...e0Tone000.html

if you need anything else you can pm me and will be more than happy to help.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
For the dimarzio bare and green are together. I did a quick google search and found this:

It's not the EXACT same thing, but pretty damn close.
^ **** TY dude. I appreciate it. I havent even done a search for the dimarzio yet. Cuz all my focus was on how to hookup 3 humbuckers when a 3 way switch is being used without having only 1 of the 2 MBs running by itself.Hoping I can run both hot leads from the MB onto one Lug without cancelling it out somehow. Thanx for the diagram. TYVM for the diagram. best easiest layout Ive seen so far. Cool
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 PM

The diagram basically shows both humbuckers of the motherbucker wired in series, so there's only one hot wire to connect to the switch.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
The diagram basically shows both humbuckers of the motherbucker wired in series, so there's only one hot wire to connect to the switch.

So wiring it in series will still make it full power & not just one of teh buckers? if so than thats cool. I'll do it that way.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
So wiring it in series will still make it full power & not just one of teh buckers? if so than thats cool. I'll do it that way.
Yes sir! You can test it with a multimeter too just to make sure before you put it in. I recall reading somewhere that it's in the neighborhood of 27k ohms when wired like this.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yes sir! You can test it with a multimeter too just to make sure before you put it in. I recall reading somewhere that it's in the neighborhood of 27k ohms when wired like this.
haha High Voltage MUD lol, hopefully it will sound good with a lil amp tweaking.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:59 AM

why not just wire it up using the 3 way switch like a traditional 3 way switch with neck, neck bridge in the middle position and then bridge then get a push pull volume pot to add the middle pickup to whatever position the 3 way switch is in?

If you are wiring two pickups in series it probably wont sound as good as you would hope and if they are in series it will cut resistance not increase resistance . wiring in parallel will increase resistance.

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/ohms-law
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
why not just wire it up using the 3 way switch like a traditional 3 way switch with neck, neck bridge in the middle position and then bridge then get a push pull volume pot to add the middle pickup to whatever position the 3 way switch is in?

If you are wiring two pickups in series it probably wont sound as good as you would hope and if they are in series it will cut resistance not increase resistance . wiring in parallel will increase resistance.

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/ohms-law
You got it backwards.

The Kent Armstrong Motherbucker is basically two dual-rail single coils to fit in a humbucker slot.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You got it backwards.

The Kent Armstrong Motherbucker is basically two dual-rail single coils to fit in a humbucker slot.

yes i did , as i was . Series is cumulative resistance and parallel is fractional (less)

my bad.

dimarzio also make the multi-bucker which is two stacked single coils (a Fast Track 1 and Chopper) put together

Tags
humbucker bucker esp

Show/Hide Posting Rules