EMG Afterburner question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

EMG Afterburner question

Alright, I have an ESP F200, which has two EMG HZ's equipped, and has the Afterburner feature (for those of you who don't know what that is, you pull a switch up and you get a 20dB Variable Gain Boost). I was thinking of replacing the pick ups with an EMG 81 and a 85 or 60, but I'm wondering if the Afterburner would still work with the different pickups? ESP's Grynch model also has an Afterburner and is equipped with an 81 and a 60, so I'm thinking yes, but I just want to make sure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 03:07 PM

yes it should work fine
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:34 AM

I have an afterburner question also...so i thought i mayswell post it here instead of starting a new thred (hope you dont mind Break Zero ) I Have been looking to get volume boost for solos for a while now, and ive tried overdrive pedals, and a few other things reccomended to me by my local guitar shop, but nothing seems to work . I was condsidering one of these afterburner gadgets, but not knowing anyone with one, or being able to try one i am reluctant to part with my dosh .
Do any of you guys have one? if so is the volume boost you get noticable.
Also, could my whole hunt for this "boost" be in vain, because, infact, the overall volume of my setup is infact detirmined my my master volume control on my amp and therefore a volume boost is impossible without actually turning it up?
thanks
-better shred than dead- ANDY
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 PM

Reviews: 12
My friend has an F-200 as well with the HZ and Afterburner thing. The afterburner doesn't work well when you're using distortion as you'll end up getting more feedback. I'm sure it'll work as it was designed when you plug it in to a clean channel. Personally, I thought the HZ on my friend's guitar sounded pretty close to an 81.
I also installed an EMG Preamp booster switch a few years back and it's works the same as an Afterburner. The Afterburner is activated by pushing the tone knob up while the Preamp booster is activated by flipping a switch (duh).

Reg
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 12:00 PM

Jammy- if you're just looking for a clean boost, you might try a Fulltone FatBoost. It offers 30dB of CLEAN boost without any change to your EQ at all.

The Robert Keeley Time Machine Boost offers 23dB of boost, but is quite a bit pricier.

Tags
guitar shop , local guitar shop , overdrive pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode