<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 AM

Wink

EMG wiring installation help

Currently i have a stock Ibanez Prestige RGA 121, and i want to swap out the pickups for a couple of emgs. The two pickups i want to put in my Ibanez are EMG 81 in the bridge, and a EMG 89R in the neck. I plan on purchasing them soon, but i have a few questions,

first off, anyone who could post a step by step on how to wire both pickups would be great, and would really help me out. As much detail as possible would be great. Second, can both pickups be installed in my guitar with no problems considering my guitar only has one volume, and one tone knob, and a 5 way selector. And third is there anything i should buy with the pickups, like a three way selector.

i am new at wiring pickups, so this should be a tough venture for me, but i do repair computers so it should be too bad.
IF you could help me out with as much detail as possible, i would be greatly appreciated.

thank you vary much, and sorry if this is a common thread posted, im also new to this site
Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 AM
(a)

Re: EMG wiring installation help

for starters you will get new pots and wiring instructions with the EMG's

they are very very easy to wire, only a couple of solder joints.

if you have a stock 5 way switch you may want to get a 3 way in its place or buy the new coil splitable EMG81TW
Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM
(a)
Vendor

I posted a little thing about installing EMG's in a Caparison Horus over at CaparisonForum.com and it's pretty similar to wiring up EMGs in an Ibanez. Here's the link

http://www.caparisonforum.com/forum/...read.php?t=815

As for buying stuff with your pickups, your pickups SHOULD come with new pots and a new jack, but you won't be able to use the new jack as you'll have to mod the output jack they give you and wire it to your existing barrel jack in the ibanez. You don't really need to buy a new 3-way switch, but it really depends on how you want it wired. I personally like simplicity in having just a 3-way switch and having the coils taps seperate.

If you need help with it just ask here or over at CaparisonForum. I know you're not installing it in a Caparison but I only drop by Jemsite once in a while now.

Oh yeah.. do yourself a huge favour and do the 18v mod while you're at it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm not 100% on the routing in a 121, but I'd check the measurements (depth particularly). EMG's are slightly thicker than Blackouts, and I just had a nightmarish experience with my RG2570 Prestige fitting blackouts in. It's going to require routing, and possibly a new Bridge blackout since I broke the screw tab off it.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 PM

thank you all vary much, if there are more ppl out there with advice, feel free to say

Tags
emg, pickup installation, pickup wiring

Show/Hide Posting Rules