Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Gus 
#1 ·
Hi,
:!: i whish to install the EMG707 bridge pickup in my Ibanez RG6720 7-string guitar. 8O
Please, help me somebody,who has this pickup in his Ibanez RG7620 Guitar.Schematic and advices will be great for me. I whish that it works NOISELESS and correct. All i know for now, that i must file the corners of the pickup hole,because the EMG707 is bigger. And i whish not to damage the guitar lack around too much.
:eek: Thanks a lot,
Gus

#7 ·
Yeah. I'd highly recommend either disconnecting the neck pup or putting another 707 in, because otherwise, it's a huge bother. You see, active and passive pups are massively different when it comes to ohmage. You'd have to use seperate volume and tone pots for the pups, because passive pickups usually use around 250-500K pots, while active pups use 10-25K pots. I think there are other ulcer-inducing issues, too, but I can't think of them right now. Basically, it's not worth the trouble. Also, if you're buying EMGs, I'd say you probably don't care too much about clean sounds, so one bridge humbucker should work fine for you. By the way, what made you go with EMGs over the EVO or TZ? :wink:

#8 ·
:!: I went with EMG707 over the EVO,because i found it on Ebay for 90 $. Meanwhile,i have Duncan Distortion on my second 7-string, and it just lacks some power and clearness.And DD i think, is a similar pup as EVO. 8O

I saw lots of guitars that have EMG bridge and passive neck with stock pots and they all work correct. The passive pot works then like an on/off, not decreas./increasing volume like usual. 8O

So, i`m searching for somebody who actually has RG7620 with EMG707 bridge,that you help me. :!:

#9 ·
Perhaps what you saw were EMG HZs? If not, then the pots either weren't stock, or were only connected to the passive pickup, because I'm not kidding, normal pots WILL NOT work with active pickups. Anyway, I can't really help you, because I have no personal experience with EMGs. My recommendation would be to go over to www.tandjent.com/meshforum to the Meshuggah board, as I know that several people over there use EMG loaded 7620s. I know at least big drewbowski (or something like that) does, so you might give him a holler, or do a search. Either way, you should come across some useful info. Hope that helps.

#12 ·
As already stated, you need separate circuits for the EMG and the DiMarzio. You can't have the two pickups controlled by the same volume control, period.

Describe the exact control layout you want (switching, pots, etc.), and someone will be able to tell you in general terms how to do it (if it's possible). If nobody's responded with a detailed diagram, chances are it's because nobody here has experience doing what you want.

The diagram EKG posted is actually pretty good, and can be easily adapted if you know what you're doing with guitar electronics. If you've never wired a guitar before, you might want to take it to an experienced tech.

#14 ·
The reason I ask is I am somewhat close to EMG. Since you are over in Europe, I am willing to give them a call for you. If you were closer, I would have advised you to. It's too late now, but if you can wait til Monday, I'll give them a call for ya. Is this the rundown?

EMG707 Bridge
Single middle (Passive)
4 conductor Neck (Passive)
1 Volume
1 TOne
5 way selector

You are more than likely going to have to add a volume and go to a 3 way selector. The EMG can't be split like a passive humbucker.

#16 ·
Ibanez RG7620 Setup:

EMG707 Bridge
4 conductor DiMarzio Neck
1 Volume
1 Tone
5 way selector

I will keep my 5 way selector because i need neck split for my cleans. I think i can tie up the bridge split positions,to make them sound the same. :?: Schematic will be great, if you can do that for me,EKG. :p

#17 ·
Ibanez RG7620 Setup:

EMG707 Bridge
4 conductor DiMarzio Neck
1 Volume
1 Tone
5 way selector

I will keep my 5 way selector because i need neck split for my cleans. I think i can tie up the bridge split positions,to make them sound the same. :?: Schematic will be great, if you can do that for me,EKG. :p

#19 ·
I have posted this many times in the past, but I'll try and remember what i said... I did this modification to Slanman's guitar, as well as a couple of my Universes and one 1077XL.

To mix EMG's with another passive system, you can send a passive pickup to a PA-2 preamp (made by EMG). This is how I use Universes with the single coil in the middle and 707's or 35TW's in the bridge or neck. You cannot use the same pots for both setups without the preamp to change the passive levels.

This was a trick shown to me by the guys at EMG, and it's how you usually see a passive pickup with an EMG pickup. As for diagrams, the EMG site has many. There should be one for the PA-2 in a passive setup.

As for the 5-way, it's not gonna happen for more than 3 positions. The 707 will not split. So you have the option of 707, 707 with a coil of the passive pickup, and just the passive pickup alone on a 3-way. Either way, the 707 will completely overpower the single coil sound of the pickup in split mode. One other severe problem with the PA-2 on a passive pickup is that it also amplifies that pickup's inherent noise...

Good luck to ya' man! You're probably gonna have to sacrifice something here. So think before you start putting bigger holes in the guitar. :D

#21 ·
I honestly have forgotten myself...lol
But it works. I have it done on my favorite 1077XL right now with a 707 in the bridge, the stock single in the middle, and a EMG 35TW in the neck. The 35TW is like a 89; it's a splitable pickup. It actually doesn't split. It's an 85 and an SA in a humbucker housing. My volume pot is a push-pull pot and does the splitting. So in my 4th position on the 5-way, I can either have the humbucker and single or two singles. :D

Hope this guy has luck and gets it happenin'. My computer is freakin' out, so it's going in for service for a week or so...

#23 ·
OK....

I received an answer from EMG Tech Support.....this is the best I can do for ya ;-)

I need an e-mail addy to send you the .pdf file.

The message attached:

I'll try.

I do not recommend mixing active and passive pickups, but here's what you'll have to do:

1) Lose the tone pot, and have separate volumes for each pickup. Since you have pickups with different impedances, you'll need different pots.

2) Replace the five way switch with a three way. Our active pickup only have three wires, so you'll have a dead spot in position four if you use the five way switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.