<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 AM

Hot Grinders in a RG

I snagged a set of pickups from an S5470 from ****. Hot Grinders for the neck and bridge and a Short Tracer in the middle. I just replaced the old Powersounds in my RG 270, but I'm not 100% sure I wired them correctly. They're noisy and not very powerful. Has anyone else tried this?

In general, I understand the HG's are supposed to be pretty hot. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Reviews: 12

Re: Hot Grinders in a RG

I still have my HG pups from my 5470 and the wiring is setup like this:
Green = hot
White + Red = series link/coil tap
Black + Bare = Ground

As for the pups themselves, they're not bad for stock Ibanez's... much hotter than the QM's. I haven't tried installing them in an RG but I did install the neck HG in my S540 for a short a while and it wasn't too bad... just not enough "flavor" imo
Also, try mounting the HG bridge with the bar towards the bridge.

Reg
Old 05-07-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the code. I'll have to check my colors and see if I did it right. I took a JEM wiring diagram I found and followed it.

I did turn my neck pickup around the other way according to the diagram I had. I'm anxious to hear how it sounds without all the noise... I don't have enough lead wire to turn around the bridge unless I solder on some extensions.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM

So last night I compared the HG's to the Powersounds in my SA160. The Powersounds were hotter, but not near as crisp and defined. Does that sound right? I thought the HG's were supposed to be really hot.

It looks like the wiring is right, but they're still a bit noisy. Could I maybe not have it grounded right? Would that effect the power output?

Tags
pickups rg hot grinder

Show/Hide Posting Rules