<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 AM

HSH w/ single size humbucker-wiring

Despite scouring the wiring resources from DiMarzio, Ibanez, Guitar Electronics etc., I'm having trouble working this out on my 1991 540S. I replaced the single coil with an Air Norton S. The neck and bridge both have 4 conductor wire (Duncan neck; DiMarzio bridge). Through trial and error I got the ANS connected so that it's coming through as a humbucker in the middle position, and I'm getting some kind of split coil sound in position 4 with the neck humbucker (maybe not the correct sound). In position 2 however the volume drops to nearly nothing (more so than the usual pos. 2 & 4 volume drop- it's about half the volume of position 4) and the sound is even funkier than usual...not the most usable.

I just want the normal split sounds in position 2 & 4. Anyone point me towards the right diagram?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Re: HSH w/ single size humbucker-wiring

it depends on which switch you have as to what terminals will be activated and in turn what lead wires go where.

try www.guitarelectronics.com and also check the ibanez.com website for stock wiring diagrams if you are using the stock switch.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Check out the first sentence of my post...I've already looked in depth in those places. Not saying no one can find them, just not me!

And I do believe it's the stock switch.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM

Reviews: 15

Are you wanting the Air Norton to also be split in positions 2 and 4? As far as actual diagrams, it's a crapshoot since we don't know exactly which stock switch you have. Hopefully somebody here will know it offhand or maybe you can post a pic of the inside of the cavity to help us out.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 AM

well if it is a vlx 91 switch you may have a bit of a hard time finding the diagram you are looking for. If it is a vlx 51 then i dont think you can get the sounds you want.

My recommendation is to get a new switch that does what you want. Also can you clarify what combinations you are trying to get?

this looks like what you need.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pro...HH5L11-01.html

(___6___) neck pickup
(___5___)

(________) middle single coil air norton
(----3----)

(___2___) bridge pickup
(___1___)

if you are just trying to replace the standard single coil that came stock with the air norton you may need to reverse the phase of the pickup. You can do this by switching the hot red wire with the green wire that is usually paired with the bare ground. So it would be red and bare with green being you hot lead.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM

just in case that wiring diagram is the one you are looking for use the link below to make sure you get the right leads for the switch in the right place. As i am sure you already know that dimarzio and seymour use different color lead wires.

http://1728.org/guitar8.htm
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Switch is a YM-50.

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as pos. 2 & 4 I want the equivalent of the sounds I would get if I had a single coil in the middle. I don't know enough to say which coil of each humbucker I want engaged in each position, but whatever would get me closest to your Stratocaster type 2 & 4 tones.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
Switch is a YM-50.

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as pos. 2 & 4 I want the equivalent of the sounds I would get if I had a single coil in the middle. I don't know enough to say which coil of each humbucker I want engaged in each position, but whatever would get me closest to your Stratocaster type 2 & 4 tones.
The only way to do this with a YM-50 is to solder and tape-off the black and white on the ANS (not connected to any lugs)....... It will always be humbucking when on.

You may have a problem with your switch if the vol drop is that bad in pos.2

Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 PM

So glad you just posted this- I've been beating my head against the workbench for about two hours now!

I'll try it.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
So glad you just posted this- I've been beating my head against the workbench for about two hours now!

I'll try it.
tell us how it works out...............

This is how I had to wire my ToneZone S in my RG770.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM

If you want to use a different switch, VLX91, I have a schematic for it. I just did this in two different S guitars using the DP187 (cruiser) in the middle position. Let me upload to photobucket and I'll post here. You can get the switch from Rich at Ibanezrules.com
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Here's the schematic in jpg format. It's a pain to wire up. I really hate doing three humbuckers with the VLX but I don't have a killer soldering iron. I really need to invest in a decent one.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM

It totally worked...awesome. The only sort of issue I had was that it seems the bridge humbucker is fully engaged (both coils) when in position 2, as opposed to just one coil. Not really a problem, just not what I thought should happen.

I was so stoked when I wired everything up (just according to the stock Ibanez diagram, by the way...once I figured out you have to read the terminals backwards) and all three pickups actually worked in the positions they were supposed to, I decided to leave well enough alone!

I may be experimenting with pups though from here. I have a PAF Pro in the neck, which definitely does what it's supposed to do...creamy and clear at once. I put a Humbucker from Hell in the bridge, the only free DiMarzio I had. It is great and not great at the same time...extremely clear, but the other hand it's pretty thin sounding. May go with something bassier but not Tone Zone bassy.

In the middle the air norton S is okay...kind of has a weird compression thing going on that I'm not wild about... but overall, I'm pleased.

Curious in suggestions on pickups for an S series to maintain articulation but get a little fatter. May consider the CL/LF set.

Thanks again all for your invaluable input.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 PM

Right now I have a set of Gravity Storms in one guitar and Breeds in another. I prefer the Gravity Storms. I have a Fast Track in the middle of those (mistakenly thought it was a Cruiser) and really like that setup. The Breeds take a bit more work to dial in IMO, and maybe I just haven't found the right combo on them. They have more treble than the Gravity Storms.

I also have the Satriani humbucker set (Mo Joe/PAF Joe) in another S series (again with a Fast Track 1) but I'm waiting on one last damn part that's taking it's sweet time to get here (from an hour away no less) via USPS so I haven't had the chance to try those out yet.

My last s-series build in progress is using the Crunch Lab/Liquifire setup but again, they're just sitting there waiting to be installed. Might try them in the S1520 in place of the Breeds out of curiosity.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Let me know how the CL LF set works.

The S is interesting (mines a 91). The mahogany does give it a body and warmth I've never gotten out of RGs (except the mahogany 520), but not in that blah warm way you get from basswood (my experience). The thin body however makes it very crisp at the same time. I want to find something to accentuate the warmth and body more, but retain the clarity. Staying away from Tone Zone and Norton since I've mostly just used those in the past. The PAF Pro is cool for the neck, but I want a little more fatness. For the bridge I still want something bright, but with more punch than the PAF Pro which was originally in the bridge.

I actually have a Norton in the neck of my alder bodied RT, and I love the tone (thanks to RGTFanatic for that idea), but its output demands a high output bridge pickup to keep up with it. I don't want to go that hot.

Tags
5 way switch, air norton s, hsh, wiring

Show/Hide Posting Rules