<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM

HSS 560 with single-size HB's?

Sorry if this has been discussed but I've been searching this for days and still coming up a little short. I hope some kind soul can jump in and help me out here.

I've got an rg560 project and would like to put Dimarzio Hum Canceling Singles in the neck and middle positions. I know it's possible to wire them standard using two wires but I want to wire it HHH using those along with an F2 bridge, 1 tone, 1 vol, 5-way switch.

I'm wondering if and how it is possible to make this work for me, having a full size HB at the bridge. I really like the push/pull for 'all-single' or 'all-HB'...

I read in a thread that a full size HB would overpower a single size HB in this situation without the use of a multipole switch and some parallel wiring, that convo ended abruptly here, http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/pe...ers-97229.html.

Then I found the following one, figured it could either be copied or adapted for my idea, but I'm not sure exactly how. Ideally I would prefer the capabilities of the first idea but I would fall back on this one if needed. This would be perfect if I could somehow incorporate a push/pull for 'all-single' / 'all-HB'...

(Note the middle here is a single sized HB and both sides of an OTAX are shown)

So, hopefully I can get some ideas shared here. At the end of the day I would be happy just to find a diagram for HB/HCSC/HCSC - 1 switch - 1 vol - 1 tone.

Last edited by axel_f; 05-06-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 AM

Reviews: 1

Re: HSS 560 with single size HB's?

Can you be more specific, I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do.
Do you want to wire all pickups as humbuckers and split them with a push pull pot? if so thats very easy.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Yes, that's pretty much what I was looking for, and verification that hum canceling singles are wired like HB's which I now find they are not all alike. Also whether or not I need to worry about output ratings when splitting one with a full size HB.

I decided to figure out how to wire a guitar before I even decided what pups I wanted, maybe that was backwards. Now I'm looking at "IBZ/USA F2 - Chopper - Chopper".

I've been digging around and this is the wiring I'm going with so far, using a multipole but no push/pull. I'd be happy to hear more suggestions...

Old 05-11-2012, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 1

There's another wiring diagram at dimarzio which is very useful as well.
Take a look
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...2areaVLX91.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1H2areaVLX91.pdf (39.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777 View Post
There's another wiring diagram at dimarzio which is very useful as well.
Take a look
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...2areaVLX91.pdf
Thanks, I think I saw that one when searching. So that's for virtual vintage like the Injector, right? Am I correct that a VV would not wire up the same as a twin-blade like the chopper or fast track 1?

Thanks so much for the replies.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Reviews: 2

I'm wondering, is it important for you to be able to split one hum with another?? If not, it would be very simple to go with a 3-way blade, one position for each pup, and a 3pdt (on-on) mini switch OR a push-pull pot for splitting. You'd then have 6 completely different settings.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I'm wondering, is it important for you to be able to split one hum with another?? If not, it would be very simple to go with a 3-way blade, one position for each pup, and a 3pdt (on-on) mini switch OR a push-pull pot for splitting. You'd then have 6 completely different settings.
Ok, it took me a minute to realize by "3 way blade" you meant a switch and not a pickup config.

So, if you're saying I can wire them to a 3 way and use a push/pull to switch them all from single coil to HB, that is perfect. I generally don't use the 2 and 4 spots on a 5 way with the standard bridge/middle, middle/neck combinations, I usually find 2 spots I like and stick with them, like neck and bridge.

By using twin-blades in place of the stock single coils, I thought I could get the best of both worlds and have HB's at the neck and middle, but still be able to switch them to single coils like the stock 560. Being able to combine separate pickups is not as important, I don't think. The role of this guitar will be my standard E or Eb tuned blues/metal axe where I can pound out heavy power chords at the bridge, and use the neck and middle for both clean twangy, or hot, overdriven blues licks.

Tags
hhh, rg560, wiring

Show/Hide Posting Rules