Identical 7vwh's sound entirely different! Why? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool Identical 7vwh's sound entirely different! Why?

I have a 2005 and a 2007 Jem. Both are 7vwh. (Yes its repetitive and foolish, and also financially crippling, please no judging.) But the problem is they sound entirely different. the 2005 sounds great, I bought it new and know it is 100% factory wiring. The 2007 is used and abused, probably had the pickups swapped. They are identical except for the 5 way switch. The 2007 has an 8 pin and the 2005 has the VLX91 24 pin.

1. Could the different switch make that much difference?

Then I thought maybe the phase is out on the 2007, and so I was getting:

pos 1: xx-0-00 neck
pos 2: x0-x-00 neck middle
pos 3: 00-x-00 middle
pos 4: 00-x-0x bridge middle
pos 5: 00-0-xx bridge

so I swapped the red and black wires from the middle pickup. But that didn't really effect anything. I still have poor sound.

2. How do I check the polarity of the HSH? to know for sure which is N or S other than just tapping the bobbins with a screwdrive and listening to which one is on.

I am going to replace the vol pot because it is grinding and doesn't feel right. perhaps this will give me the full sound that I'm looking for. I just want it to sound badass like my 2005 7vwh

I'm I on the right track or what, this is baffling me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Re: Identical 7vwh's sound entirely different! Why?

Have you tried dumping your 2005 pickguard into the 2007 guitar for experimental purposes?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

No I haven't done that. Mainly because I like they way my 05 sounds and don't want to end up messing with something that is all ready perfect.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vairulez View Post
No I haven't done that. Mainly because I like they way my 05 sounds and don't want to end up messing with something that is all ready perfect.
The only sure way to know would be to swap the entire pickguard with electronics. However, I totally understand you. If I had a guitar which sounded perfect to me, I wouldn't let anyone touch it!

So maybe you can try to find another 7VWH to swap and check.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:21 PM

Yeah having the opportunity to be able to narrow things down by switching pickguards would seem like a blessing to me, it's a case of a couple of screws and 3 solder points (input jack, and earth at the trem claw), I would do that first if it was me.

You said the 2007 probably had the pickups swapped, but that is extremely easy to test since the 7V comes with Dimarzio Evos with gold plated poles which is really hard to miss. If they are aftermarket they will also likely have longer wire, the bridge pickup on a Jem should have pretty short pickup wire as they are cut to length when installed by Ibanez.

I also don't see how a switch could make a difference like this, but the volume pot could be your issue. When you say you have "poor sound" it's pretty vague and not really very specific at all.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Swapping the red and black wires from the middle pickup should definitely give you a different sound at positions 2 & 4, not at the other positions. One of these two versions will be an out of phase sound, the other not. It is independant of which humbucker coil you are using.
If you cannot hear this clearly noticeable, you definitely have a wiring issue. Post a picture or better draw a wiring scheme and we can help you out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: Identical 7vwh's sound entirely different! Why?

alright sorry about the wait. Can't post from my phone for some reason. I will try to answer as many questions as I can.

The sound is not bad, it's just less powerful. It sounds weak and doesn't pack the same punch that my 05 has. When I swapped the single coil wires it definitely helped pos 2 and 4, but pos 5 is still lacking in that wonderful Evo tone I've grown so used to with my 05. Swapping the pick guard seems irrelevant to me as that only isolates the output jack and the earth ground as mentioned before. (I doubt a different chunk of alder wood makes that big of a difference, I'm no Vai here). The volume pot is my guess as the source of this difference and I am awaiting a replacement part. So I will fill you guys in when it is installed. Could the Evo's just be old and have windings that have degraded? I need to post I bit more before photos sorry. I'll get there
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
You said the 2007 probably had the pickups swapped, but that is extremely easy to test since the 7V comes with Dimarzio Evos with gold plated poles which is really hard to miss.
I'm not sure what you mean by poles. The 6 round bits (bobbins) in the middle of the pickup are steel coloured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
... but the volume pot could be your issue. When you say you have "poor sound" it's pretty vague and not really very specific at all.
The vol pot always grinds as it turns. Also now that I've been messing around soldering things on and off the vol pot casing it might not like me so much. Rather replace it and rule that out. The sound was like that from the day I bought the guitar. Its hard to describe, the neck pick sounds decent, but the middle and bridge sounds so distant. I've plugged into the same amp, same cord, new stings on each, same setup entirely and there is a noticeable difference in sound. My good guitar has a rich warmth even when wailing away on the bridge pickup and the 07 just sounds cold and thin.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

the diagram is how it is currently wired except the middle coil wires have been swapped

2007 (poor sounding jem with 8 pin selector)

My 2005 (aka good jem with 24 pin selector)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 AM

Easy fix. Change the wiring on the switch to the one in your diagram. Right now you are only using one coil of the humbuckers in positions 1 & 5.

Tags
7vwh , hsh , phase , vlx91 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode