<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Reviews: 12

Jem7v pickup change suggestions?

Hi guys while I love my Jem 7v the evo's and icvs2 are not cutting it for me perfectly...

I do have an X2N and paf pro but would like to use them in another guitar that will be more of a metal machine..

Would an Evo 2 work in the bridge for me I dont hate the standard Evo in the bridge but I was thinking the reduced treble and output would just be more me. do you have something else that would work in the Alder maple/rosewood combo that isnt too harsh or high output.

I was thinking going for a HS-3 in the middle as I loved the hs3 in my 550 does anyone have any other suggestions for the middle I know a few guys have switched to a chopper in the middle but I would prefer a singlecoil.maybe a HS-4 would work.

Also a Liquifire is the top contender for the neck as it seems to be exactly what im after but I have only tried it in Basswood im guessing it will be fine in Alder as the EQ is quite balanced.
But would you guys suggest something different.

I will also be getting a black guard from Jeannies I also considered using the bourns 500k pot that has a notch that takes it straight to output like blower mod type deal seems abit overkill with the Evo 2....

The pickups will be white with black poles on the humbuckers and I will keep the white knobs and switch tip for a BW style i've allready swapped the nut tuners and edge to cosmo black I find the gold a bit too garish...

So if you have any suggestions feel free to post clips or videos I am currently between amps but will most likely be getting a Bugera 333xl unless I find a JSX for a great price for some reason I dont seem to like the xxx II, which is the JSX's replacement as much plus the infinium aspect is handy...

I also have my trusty Vamp pro for quiet practises...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 120

Re: Jem7v pickup change suggestions?

Gravity Storm bridge might be right up your alley, as might the new Steve Lukather Transition Bridge.

Same pickups, expect neck models might be good for the neck too.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 PM

I did contemplate the Gravity Storms, and the transiitions too, however I have read that the neck GS wont fully clean up while I love the L-fire's cleans It's an expensive error to make if I dont like the grav storm.

I do like the transitions but I dont think they will quite have enough kick...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 AM

I swear by Breeds with an HS-2 or HS-3 centre......
Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM

Are Breeds not more suited to basswood bodied guitars than alder?

I have also started checking out Duncan's as long as the Dimarzio elite promise not to Lynch me!

Duncan's I was considering were the Full Shreds neck and bridge and the YJM fury middle/neck for the single as this will get me a similar vibe to the HS3 I could opt for the bridge position model too.

I saw one of Keith Merrows demo's he played 7 string varients and this other guy with a sweet RG looking thing had the 6 the full shred and that had the sound and feel I preferred even over the custom 5 which I've owned...

I was contemplating going with a 250k tone pot to help tame the highs of the Full Shreds, I think the lower bass and Mid's 4/4/7 respectively, make the treble seem more pronounced than it is...

I inadvertently had a 250k tone on my 550 with C-lab hs3 and liquifire worked quite nicely as I'm not a fan of too much high end...

Looking through some threads recently the Evo-2 and liquifire seem like a combo that I would like however many seem to find the evo 2 is a bit lead oriented and not as good for rhythm.

There's also Bareknuckle and with the price of Dimarzio's from most UK sellers new they aren't much more expensive for the uncovered Humbuckers...

Holy divers or Rebel Yells I could possibly even get the bridge with a ceramic magnet.
I would go with a trilogy suite middle

I have given the Evo's enough of a chance I just don't suit them, and vice versa even with lowering them considerably and EQ'ing they aren't as smooth as I like. the one Meg volume pots is probably overkill too a 250k tone pot may smooth things out further but I think my main issue is with the neck pickup....

I wont be rushing into this plenty of time to decide but the Full shreds have definitely caught my attention the most...

Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM

I've recently installed and Evo 2 and Gravity Storm in my 7V and couldn't be more satisfied. I'm only keeping the original Evos just in case I have to sell that guitar one day.

As for your comment about the Evo 2 being solo oriented but not that good for rhythm, that sounds more like the original DP159. All my guitars including a J-Custom have an Evo 2 in the bridge.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
(a)

Dimarzio does that that exchange policy if you don't like your first choice. May I ask what kind of gear you got?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM

I put an Evo2 bridge and LiquiFire neck in my 7VSBL and absolutely love the combo. Seriously I think that combo in alder is unbeatable for me.

I have heard great things about the Gravity Storms as well but haven't completed the build I'm doing with them yet so I can't speak personally for them yet.

For my money you are on exactly the right track though man. Bring down the treble a bit, warm things up a bit... Outstanding tone and control. The Evo2 is very responsive to volume knob adjustments making it an extremely versatile pup.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 AM

I don't think the exchange policy applies to the UK/EU Thomann seem to have the best prices for the Evo-2 HS-3 and Liquifire. I doubt I would hate them and possibly change the bridge if I disliked it judging everything I've heard I cant see why I would...

I'm going on what i've seen reviewed, the few Evo-2 vids i've seen make me think i'd like it just fine for the rhythm I play.

As for my Gear a Bugera 333xl and a 212 cab loaded with V-30's and an old Bandit.

I suppose a third option is swapping the ceramic magnets to alnico but I don't really want to mess with the stock pickups like that im better of unloading them and getting something I know I like..

Still the Fullshreds have intrigued me I was even contemplating having the A5 swapped to an A2.

I have to sell some gear first then I Will get the new guard and decide what to go for.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzuk View Post
I don't think the exchange policy applies to the UK/EU Thomann seem to have the best prices for the Evo-2 HS-3 and Liquifire. I doubt I would hate them and possibly change the bridge if I disliked it judging everything I've heard I cant see why I would...

I'm going on what i've seen reviewed, the few Evo-2 vids i've seen make me think i'd like it just fine for the rhythm I play.
Just buy one.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM

I think ill risk it worst case scenario I don't love the evo-2 and have to find another pickup for the bridge.

L-fire is probably my favourite neck pickup so I cant see that not working out for me...

Will give an update as and when and get some pictures up and possible some clips too...

Will a 1550 guard fit a prestige 7v I want to get that ordered asap, and I don't want to fuss with widening the neck pocket area...
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzuk View Post
I think ill risk it worst case scenario I don't love the evo-2 and have to find another pickup for the bridge.

L-fire is probably my favourite neck pickup so I cant see that not working out for me...

Will give an update as and when and get some pictures up and possible some clips too...

Will a 1550 guard fit a prestige 7v I want to get that ordered asap, and I don't want to fuss with widening the neck pocket area...
Yes, if the trems are the same on both guitars.

FWIW..... the Gravity storm neck is NOT muddy in the slightest. It's the best neck pup I've ever had for guitar with a pickguard. Soloing is articulate and warm- even with high gain. The cleans are crystal clear and bell-like when tapped.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Ahh well the 1570's had the edge pro mine is a 2010 with Original Edge I will just send the pickguard off to Jeanies and get it done perfect....

Thanks for the suggestions but after doing some reading and listening to clips I think the Liquifire is more to my tastes than the GS.

The Transition would probably work well if I could order one from the place I plan to use, but I still haven't really heard read enough about it and given the fact i've had the Liquifire in two guitars its probably the better choice...

Will help if I can offload the original pickups and the other stuff I've got gathering dust.

Wll try and get some pics and clips up when its done...
Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

What type of sound are you seeking?
I love the Gravity Storms.
I'm also partial to Breeds--much warmer than Evos.
Try a medium output and let your amp do the work.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM

I don't dislike the bridge Evo's tone completely the Evo 2 sound exactly what I want less treble and output but similar sound, plus most of the clips i've heard sound like it suits me in the bridge.

I have ordered the Evo 2 HS-3 and Liqufire cant see me being unhappy....

Some of the samples I've heard from the Evo 2 did 80's heavy rock really well and im sure it will get heavy enough for my tastes...

There's a great clip of a guy with a premium RG 920 playing bark at the moon.

thanks for the suggestions though...

Tags
dimarzio, jem 7v, pickups

Show/Hide Posting Rules