<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:58 AM
(a)

Reviews: 3

JS conversion: PU rings/Direct mounted

OK, I just decided it might be worth the small, and reversiable conversion of going from pickup rings to dricect mounted pickups on my main player JS1000. I wonder if it would be worth it tonally wise? I KNOW I like the looks better, granted it doesnt look as good as if it were MADE that way but its a player..... so ya.

I am wondering what exactly I will need to do to peform this mod. It will be very easy to reverse so I am not worried about being stuck with this. I know I will need a smaller screw than what goes into the pickups so I dont strip threads in the holes in the tabs of the pickups. I think I can use the same springs, now all I need to do is drill the holes right?

Any advice would be GRATELY appreciated here. and WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE TONAL VARIATIONS BETWEEN DIREC MOUNTING AND RING MOUNTING?

JR
Old 06-28-2002, 02:03 AM
(a)
Vendor

You won't need the springs, what Ibanez does is put a thin (1/4") piece black dense foam under the p/u, 2 strips, one under each coil. Some types of door insulation stripping work just as well.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:24 AM
(a)

soooo..... Rich....... how is the tone affected? To be honest I want to get rid of a little bot of treble.

JR
Old 06-28-2002, 03:29 AM
(a)
Vendor

That's a question for someone else, I just know how to do it, never played a JS with DM's though
Old 06-28-2002, 03:44 AM
(a)

well neither have I and that is why I want to try it!

HELLOOOOOOOO OUT THERE! Can anyone tell me what the typical difference in tone is between these two systems?

JR
Old 06-28-2002, 09:18 AM

None...IMO.
I've owned Florals with both setups, same pickups and can't tell the difference.

If you're looking to cut some of the highs out of your sound, try using a 250k tone pot. I know the JS uses a push-pull pot, but they make them in 250k ratings.

Rich...does the JS already have a 250k tone push/pull installed from the factory?
Old 06-28-2002, 12:24 PM

Rich and Jimm, if I may?

I believe both pots on a JS are 500k. IMO, there is a tonal difference with DM's. It is warmer tone. Very slight, but there none the less. And, that is correct about putting in a 250k pot. But doesn't the P/P high pass filter work well enough.
Old 06-28-2002, 07:15 PM

I have had extremely limited experience in this area, but I can tell you what little I know..
I have a bastardized rg550 that I bought new back in 88. Ive screwed with that thing so much its not even funny. I wanted to try the direct mount thing as well. It has a Duncan distortion in the bridge, and a jazz in the neck. (Both sound awesome) I took some small sheet metal screws and screwed them through the pickup mounting tab holes, and into the body. Since the pickups would sit too low if mounted hard againt the body, I kept small springs on them, to keep it pushed up. I suppose you could glue a small piece of wood into the little side rout (For the mounting tabs) to raise the pickup to the desired height, but I just screwed them in as is. So they arent "Hard" against the body, but they are mounted to the body. It is definitely more solid then hanging from the pickguard. If you try and move the pickup, it resists. Its extremely rigid, which is what you want. tone tranfer from the body.
Now, for the important part, which is what you really want to know-
how does it sound?
I noticed slightly more "Kerchunk" from the sound now. seems a little tighter and woodier on the low end. very subtle, but noticable to a trained ear. I think it is worthwhile tonewise. I would think the effect would be the same for one that is usually mounted from a ring.
You could put the ring back on after you hard-mount it. once the height is set, you wouldnt need to mess with it, so theres no reason to leave the ring off. the only difference would be that the pickup height screw holes would be empty.
hope this helps. let me know if you try it, and how it sounds!
later,
scott
Old 06-29-2002, 01:07 AM

You could also,besides changing the pot,change the capacitor to a .047(or 5) this will allow you to drain more treble.If you don't know,the capacitor is the little chip soldered to the tone pot.I did this to a 550 and it did help a bit.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:09 PM
(a)

Well guys, This next weekend I am going to the Alaskan 4th of July capitol and my band will be playing at the huge music festival. There is expected to be thousands of tourists in a VERY small town which we will be smak in the middle of playing. It should be a good expierence.

Anyway, I want old faithfull on stage with me so she will be going back togeather for the time being. Thanks for all the tips and ideas.

JR

Tags
duncan distortion, high pass filter, mounted pickups, pickup height, pickup ring, pickup rings

Show/Hide Posting Rules