<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:33 AM

Need advice: pickups for Ibanez RG470 MiK

Please, only qualified experts! Just kidding..

So, I have the following material to work with...

Guitar: Ibanez RG470 '97, made in Korea
Wood: basswood (a huge probability is that the wood is of lesser quality, than on RG470's made in Japan)
Neck: maple neck with rosewood fingerboard
Finish: black, looks pretty thick and strong, probably polyurethane

Now the main stuff...

Bridge: Floyd Rose, ORIGINAL
PUP's: stock Ibanez, INF1, INFS1 i INF2.

----------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, my guitar is not really the best material to make something out of it. But, I'm really defiant about this fact, and desperately want to make a decent guitar out of my RG, which can serve me in various situations. I'd like to get a best-possible-configuration, that is, to pull out a maximum from the given limitations.

The switch from terrible Lo-TRSII tremolo to Original Floyd Rose was unsurpassed, and the enhancement of the sound was at least 50%, with tons of sustain and tonal clarity. Now, the rest 50% of problem are terribly muddy and undefined stock pickups, especially for my intention to make a decent guitar out of this Ibby.

I've heard that DiMarzio pickups are generally more sterile and even sounding, while Seymour Duncans's are generally more warm and distinguished. But, I've also heard that SD's shed more light to the tonal quality of the guitar itself, namely the quality and type of wood, while DiMarzios are a bit less sensitive to that.

My styles of playing are not (as you could imagine by the type of guitar) metal or trash-metal, but rather classic rock, just a bit of old-school metal (early Maidens, Sabbath..), fusion, and also flirting with blues and jazz.

So, I'm asking you experts or experienced users, what PU's would you suggest to me?

Generally, I'm in quest for all-round sound, with emphasis on classic rock and NOT metal.

Thank you very much for any help!!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Re: Need advice: pickups for Ibanez RG470 MiK

DiMarzios are not "sterile" sounding! In fact, they have a nice organic tone. I'd go with a Tone Zone/Air Norton set for that 470...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Dimarzio Breeds are great all around rock pickups. I have them in a basswood guitar and they sound great.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Reviews: 6

+1 on the TOne Zone/Air Norton or See if you can find a older set of IBZ/USA F2 and IBZ/USA F4 pickups which is considered close to the tone zone (F2) and PAf pro(F4) which is also made by Dimarzio
Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM

Thank you very much so far!

Is Tone Zone primarily aimed at powerchord/trash metal players (very deep lows, with reduced trebles), or can be used in classic rock/blues too?

Also, how would you compare it to Super Distortion or Air Zone? (w/ basswood body)
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Reviews: 8

Hey cool kokyman, I was searching for pickup wiring diagrams, and found your post.

Hey I will keep you updated with my RG470, hopefully I will be able to give you my opinion of what a set of Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB sound like soon.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Richard,

thanx man!

I'm really, REALLY having a huge headache with choosing pickups.
I haven't made my mind yet.

I don't think I've ever waited for so long to make a decission while buying ANYTHING, in my whole life.

THe more I read posts of others, the less I know. I have never had that symptom in my whole life. And, it doesn't help the fact that almost no one, who gives his opinion on which pickup sets to install, doesn't specify for which music genre does he recommend them.

"Oh, buy a set of Breeds."... "You won't be happy until you instal Steve's Special and Paf Pro...".... Good, but for WHAT music genre exactly?????
1 of 10 guys will maybe wrote for which music style.

BTW, Richard, sorry with the other thread, I have no clue about wiring diagrams - yet! I'm sure some other experienced member could help you with it, who walked that path earlier...
Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM

Reviews: 120

Slap some PAF Pros in both humbucker positions. Medium output, great clarity, should be perfect for the styles you like to play.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
(a)
RGTFanatic  is online

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Slap some PAF Pros in both humbucker positions. Medium output, great clarity, should be perfect for the styles you like to play.
I agree with this as a great choice. I would also consider the AT-1 bridge with PAF Pro neck.

The AT-1 is a little more bass and mid oriented, which works well in the bridge of an Ibby with a trem to balance the tone. It also balances with a PAF Pro very well.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Thank you, once again, very much for your inputs!

I think Ive found a clip of guitar sound that perfectly resembles what kind of sound I'm after. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWhpFN9o38

It's the sound of Steve Lukather's guitar in this particular song. I really like that airy, creamy sound. That's the sound I'd like to accomplish with my RG470.

It sounds a bit like Vai, but more classic rock I'd say.

I know that he has here some custom made guitar, and a set of EMGs (definately not cold here, huh!), and I know it's impossible for me to get the exact sound with my set. However, I'd like to get to it as close as possible.

Thanks again, guys!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Again, I reckon PAF Pros. You mentioned Steve Vai, but more classic sounding. Vai used PAF Pros originally in the first few Jem models.

You could always go EMGs though, you can hear their versatility there. Lukater from memory has an 85 in the bridge, and SAs. You could go two 89s (which are essentially 85s with a split coil to SA sound), and an SA in the middle. I have all of these pickups in a couple of guitars, and they sound great for heavy, and more classic rock and bluesy stuff. I love the SA in the middle position too.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Again, I reckon PAF Pros. You mentioned Steve Vai, but more classic sounding. Vai used PAF Pros originally in the first few Jem models.

You could always go EMGs though, you can hear their versatility there. Lukater from memory has an 85 in the bridge, and SAs. You could go two 89s (which are essentially 85s with a split coil to SA sound), and an SA in the middle. I have all of these pickups in a couple of guitars, and they sound great for heavy, and more classic rock and bluesy stuff. I love the SA in the middle position too.
Thank you, LonePhantom.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:28 PM

No worries, hope it helps. :-)
Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Well, I will put these options on fence for some time, I just don't want to pay 200$ for something that doesn't suit me.

All these options have their weaknesses:

- EMG: body re-routing, also a bit more expensive than DM or SD

- Dimarzio: modern hi-fi co-sound that is always present there (they use thinner copper wire than others, and also they wire it more evenly around bobbins, which takes some classic rock character away. also, they suffuse pickups with a lot of epoxy)

- Seymour Duncan: very sensitive to wood type, and some people report that they hear Duncans on Ibanez always lacking something in sound.

I've collected these general statements, after reading thousands of posts.

So, I guess it will be a bit of trade of.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:11 PM

You do not need to reroute for six string EMG pickups, only the seven string ones. I have EMGs in my MiK RG470.

Tags
basswood, dimarzio, duncan, ibanez, rg470

Show/Hide Posting Rules