New JS1000 and pickup question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

New JS1000 and pickup question

Hey guys,
New to the Jemsite forum. I just recentlly purchased an NOS 2002 model JS1000 and while I like the guitar, I'm finding that I'm not getting along with the FRED pickup at all. I thought I liked it at first, but now I barely stand to play the guitar because of it. It sounds really good for single note runs but I don't like it at all for palm-muted notes and chords. I do really like the PAF pro in the neck though. I plan to replace the FRED with something that suits me better but I need some recommendations. I've played with the pickup wizard thing on the Dimarzio website but I'm still having trouble deciding what to go for. What I'm looking for is something a bit higher in output, balanced and more full sounding with good harmonics. I also would like to stay away from artist spec'd pickups if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Re: New JS1000 and pickup question

I've got a Radius that I've had a Duncan Custom Custom (mod'd with Alnico 8 mags), Duncan Screamin Demon, and Duncan Custom Shop 78 in. All were great, and I've kept the Custom Shop 78. I didn't like the Duncan JB in that guitar, but others really love that one.

There's tons of great pickups out there. If I were you I would pick a few up on the used market and just try them out.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphosey View Post
Hey guys,
New to the Jemsite forum. I just recentlly purchased an NOS 2002 model JS1000 and while I like the guitar, I'm finding that I'm not getting along with the FRED pickup at all. I thought I liked it at first, but now I barely stand to play the guitar because of it. It sounds really good for single note runs but I don't like it at all for palm-muted notes and chords. I do really like the PAF pro in the neck though. I plan to replace the FRED with something that suits me better but I need some recommendations. I've played with the pickup wizard thing on the Dimarzio website but I'm still having trouble deciding what to go for. What I'm looking for is something a bit higher in output, balanced and more full sounding with good harmonics. I also would like to stay away from artist spec'd pickups if possible.
I'd suggest the Norton from DiMarzio, it's like a FRED but with a bit more output and is a lot fuller sounding without completely going over the top into something that wouldn't balance with the PAF Pro.

If you want to go more "metal", the Crunch Lab, although it's an "artist" pickup seems to be the default bridge pickup these days.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Seymour Duncan Custom comes to mind. It sounds fantastic in basswood. DiMarzio Dominion might be right up your alley as well. Sure it's a signature pickup, but it's a damned good one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 15

I think a Dimarzio Tone Zone might be another one to consider.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM

Dimarzio Air Zone is AWESOME too!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 PM

Reviews: 18

Can you sell me that Fred?

Jimmy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 AM

Reviews: 6

What are the propositions from the DM pickup picker?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
What are the propositions from the DM pickup picker?
I find the pickup picker difficult to narrow it down because I'm trying to cover too much ground I think. For amps I'm using a DSL 100 and a Jet City JCA100H, I want to cover blues, classic rock and 80's metal. I don't need over the top output. I want the palm mutes to be tight, fast response to pick attack and full sounding chords. The pickup picker did seem to be consistent on one pickup, the Gravity Storm, and I may check that one out at some point, but some other reading I've done has lead me to decide on the Super Distortion, so I'm going to go with that and see how it goes.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 6

the SD is, according to what I've read, very versatile. It was used by many players as replacement pickup in the late 70's and early 80's. I've never tested it though. I think you won't be disappointed
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Banned

i took a look to sd but which one do you mean ? sh5?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Reviews: 1

SD in this case means DiMarzio Super Distortion...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Banned

is it like a sh6?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode