<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 PM

Old Dimarzios' Equivalents?

What are the modern equivalents of these legacy Dimarzio pickups?

1. Megadrive
2. Double Whammy
3. Al Dimeola

?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Re: Old Dimarzios' Equivalents?

you can custom order those from Dimarzio man... so why would you need modern equivilents to those when you can just plain buy them?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
you can custom order those from Dimarzio man... so why would you need modern equivilents to those when you can just plain buy them?
Cuz they'll be a lot more expensive that way, my friend. If equivalents can be found in their standard line it'd save me a lot of money.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:51 AM

According to DimarzioTech.....

Megadrive = Steve's Special
Al Dimeola = Breed

You can e-mail them to confirm.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Guitars
According to DimarzioTech.....

Megadrive = Steve's Special
Al Dimeola = Breed

You can e-mail them to confirm.
Thanks, Angelo!!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 PM

double whammy is a tone zone, just to add.

rich
Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 PM

Bay: 7421551559

That's a Megadrive NIB. But if the modern equivalent is Steve's Special, then would they put these out just for the looks (that is, the bar pole piece)?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:22 PM

I've used the Double Whammy and a Tonezone... I think between the 2 of them, the Double Whammy does retain the TZ's modern slant, but iwth tighter bass. The DW has the most amazing chug of all the Dimarzios I've tried... the eq is just made for it! Its quite scary to have that kind of chug on a medium output pickup,

I've tried a Megadrive but not a Steve's Special, people on this forum have been saying the MD has a touch more mids than the SS. Since I did get to try an SS, I'll comment on the MD. I thought it was a very generic sounding pup in the bridge. Like, a very standard tone unlike an Evo2 or Tonezone. However, in the neck... Ah.. I liked it better (though still generic sounding) because the 2 different coils offer very different tones! I rem I liked the screw pieces facing the neck, and splitting to it for a more single coilish wet / hollow tone, while the bar coil had more muscle and punch.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
I've used the Double Whammy and a Tonezone... I think between the 2 of them, the Double Whammy does retain the TZ's modern slant, but iwth tighter bass. The DW has the most amazing chug of all the Dimarzios I've tried... the eq is just made for it! Its quite scary to have that kind of chug on a medium output pickup,

I've tried a Megadrive but not a Steve's Special, people on this forum have been saying the MD has a touch more mids than the SS. Since I did get to try an SS, I'll comment on the MD. I thought it was a very generic sounding pup in the bridge. Like, a very standard tone unlike an Evo2 or Tonezone. However, in the neck... Ah.. I liked it better (though still generic sounding) because the 2 different coils offer very different tones! I rem I liked the screw pieces facing the neck, and splitting to it for a more single coilish wet / hollow tone, while the bar coil had more muscle and punch.
i have used the DW and almost exclusively use the TZ, i can say that they are VERY similar. the TZ is more modern and agressive. yes, it does have a looser bottom, but i like that about it. sounds bigger. the DW has a touch more mids, but nothing significant. overall, they are damn near identical.
i have used a steve's special and a MD, the way i remembered the MD way like, hey!!! awake tone. with a bit more mids, but still alot of note clarity. the thing i don't like about the SS and the MD is it lacks the mid range sizzle that i like. the clarity is not a good trade off for the extra character given by the massive mids from a TZ or JB, at least for me.

rich
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

FWIW i heard that the breed and the custom wound EVH dimarzio in the music man EVH or axis guitar are the same coils/magnet/wire gauge
and the ONLY difference is the pole pieces they even have the black baseplates! LOL!!
I love the breed has a DW tone curve but with more output and bass
harmonics to die for on this puppy!

Tags
dimarzio pickup, dimarzio pickups, output pickup, tone zone

Show/Hide Posting Rules