Pickups for an RG1570 (6 string basswood trem with maple neck/rosewood board) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Pickups for an RG1570 (6 string basswood trem with maple neck/rosewood board)

Hey guys,

I have an RG1570 Prestige Ibanez, Basswood body with a trem, tremol-no, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I'm looking to replace the Neck and Bridge pickups.

I'd like something similar to Tony Rombolas tone (Godsmack) in "keep away"
Link: https://youtu.be/1uvwGmRf5M8
Or: https://youtu.be/OYjZK_6i37M

I love that grind. Really I will have this Guitar tuned in anything between E standard and drop D. Not lower than that. I have a Schecter Hellraiser I will be using for lower tunings. That's a whole other thread though. I know Tony uses the JB a lot, but I've heard that basswood can make the JB sound like gabbage.

I'm running through a Blackstar HT5r and a Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo.

Last edited by NYCbRyder; 12-11-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:47 PM

Re: Pickups for an RG1570 (6 string basswood trem with maple neck/rosewood board)

check out the dimarzio dominions similar to the gravity storm but more bite more tightness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbmSzFdclok
nice play through
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Re: Pickups for an RG1570 (6 string basswood trem with maple neck/rosewood board)

That's a hell of a nice tone. That vid is with a mahogany guitar though. Any vids of it in Basswood?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 PM

here read this from brutha phantom....
DiMarzio Dominion bridge - WOW!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Well.... sh*t. Guess I'll give it a try
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Gotta ask, have you or anyone tried a PATB2? If so, how did it compare?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCbRyder View Post
Hey guys,

I have an RG1570 Prestige Ibanez, Basswood body with a trem, tremol-no, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I'm looking to replace the Neck and Bridge pickups.

I'd like something similar to Tony Rombolas tone (Godsmack) in "keep away"
Link: https://youtu.be/1uvwGmRf5M8
Or: https://youtu.be/OYjZK_6i37M

I love that grind. Really I will have this Guitar tuned in anything between E standard and drop D. Not lower than that. I have a Schecter Hellraiser I will be using for lower tunings. That's a whole other thread though. I know Tony uses the JB a lot, but I've heard that basswood can make the JB sound like gabbage.

I'm running through a Blackstar HT5r and a Mesa Rectoverb 50 Combo.
He was a Gibson guy, right? That's going to be the bigger difference here, a shorter-scale neck through mahogany guitar vs a longer scale bolt on maple neck on a basswood body.

The Tone Zone might not be a bad way to go if you're looking for a thicker, middier sound out of a RG. I've never tried a JB in basswood, but it's probably comparable based on my experience with it elsewhere (the stock JB in a Charvel San Dimas, JB7 in a Schecter, and a Wolfetone rewould JB7 currently in my Suhr) to a Tone Zone, with the major difference being a little less snarl, and a proven track record of working in 25.5" basswood guitars.

Tags
basswood , ibanez rg , metal , pickups , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode