Which pickups should I install on my RG? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Which pickups should I install on my RG?

Hey jemsite

After searching for a guitar that I would like to purchase, I have decided that I would like to purchase an Ibanez RG premium/prestige series guitar. I love the body and the feel of the RG series, however I worry that they might have a sub-optimal tone for the music I like to play. I was wondering if there were different pickups I could install that could change that? I play exclusively metal, this guitar would be in drop D tuning. I like to play fast palm muted riffs, and a lot of this is in the lower register. For a good example youtube Trivium - Rain. Which pickups would work best with a premium/prestige series RG to get the best tone possible?

Much Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Which pickups should I install on my RG?

Maybe D-Activators. There are a few others. Can you share any other details? What model Prestige is it?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM

I would find out what Matt from Trivium uses. I think its EMGs
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply!

I guess that would be my next question then, I'm not exactly sure which RG model i'm going to purchase. Would you happen to know which one is best for that style of music? I've heard negative reviews about Iron Label RG series so I don't think im interested in those ones.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 120

I don't know where you've heard negative reviews.

What everyone should do when loo king for a guitar is going to a music store and actually try guitars out. Work out which one suits you. Any Ibanez RG is capable of playing the music styles you wan, in fact most electric guitars are capable with the right setup and amplifier.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

The guitars im currently using now (an esp and a schecter) are both made from mahogany wood. The RG being basswood and as light weight as it is, im afraid that it might not be able to produce a nice clear tone for all the low end riffing I do. So I was curious if there was pickups which could help with that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericTCW View Post
The guitars im currently using now (an esp and a schecter) are both made from mahogany wood. The RG being basswood and as light weight as it is, im afraid that it might not be able to produce a nice clear tone for all the low end riffing I do. So I was curious if there was pickups which could help with that.
I think that has more to do with the amp, effects and pickups than the wood.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Oh okay

Both Matt and Corey from Trivium use EMGs. I wasn't looking to copy their tone in particular I was just wondering which pickups would work the best. I'm not even sure yet whether I want actives or passives.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericTCW View Post
Oh okay

Both Matt and Corey from Trivium use EMGs. I wasn't looking to copy their tone in particular I was just wondering which pickups would work the best. I'm not even sure yet whether I want actives or passives.
thing is, if you install Actives, you need room for the battery : /

for passive I would recommend the Bill Lawrence XL-500. Its what Dime used in his Dean From Hell. its chug-tastic!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Okay thanks

I have a couple of pickups to choose from now I'll add that one to the list.

Tags
ibanez rg , metal , pickup , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode