Ibanez JEM Forum banner

replacement for ibanez rg1570

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  AlaskaBat 
#1 · (Edited)
hey everyone. Im refinishing my guitar and also want to get new pickups for it. It has a basswood body, maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard, edge pro and the pu's are direct mounted. i find the stock v8 and v7 pickups to sound pretty flat and boring in this guitar through any rig ive played through. Right now i have a rocktron pro gap and mosvalve poweramp and using my marshall mg100dfx's speaker since i dont have a cab at the moment. I want something more articulate and powerful, with better harmonic content but also have nice tight lows. Im looking for a more classic heavy metal to thrash metal tone, but could also handle low tunings if i ever decide to use it for that. i really like judas priests live tone lately along with eric peterson of testaments tone so i have been thinking an emg 81 and 85 combo with the 18v mod but i want to see if there's any passive pups you would recommend as emgs can be a bit pricey and im not too sure if they are really what i want.

#2 ·
The 81 - SA - 89 with 18 volt mod is an awesome combo. Buy some of the pickups used and you'll save a bunch.

DiMarzio Dominion bridge and neck are also awesome. I have a guitar with the same combo of woods/bridge and they are brilliant.

Also check out the Railhammer Chisel set, brilliant tight lows, heavy and articulate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.