Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Scott of Actual Time 
#1 ·
Hi, I need a real/working hehe, wiring for putting dimarzios properly. the guitar came with stock, i took em out, used some wiring diagram but the results are not good.

thanks

#5 ·
Rich said:
It works perfect, but it's a J Custom wiring scheme
and J-Custom wires are somehow different from MIJ or Korean? :)

LennyX said:
has anyone done this right by that wiring, I have tried it but its not working well,
what exactly is the problem? it's hard to be of help without knowing how it's not working for you.

that diagram should work fine for doing those "Special 5-Way" combinations only -- i did have to change the phase on one of the pickups from that diagram to wire a different combination in the middle position.

from checking the wire colors, i see that diagram has the neck pickup in the rotated, old Gibson style orientation. on a pickup with one coil of screw-head pole pieces and one coil of flat slug pole pieces, this puts the screw-head pole coil closest to the neck. this means that the big fat cable is coming out of the _neck_ side or coil of the pickup, not the bridge.

but in the neck position, the magnet in the pickup needs to be opposite polarity to make all the H/H positions hum cancel [is this the problem you're having?]. the catch with DiMarzios in the neck position like this is that DiMarzio doesn't make different neck or bridge versions of the same model pickup, like Duncan does, they only make a "PAF7." if you put it in the neck position, you have to open up the pickup and rotate the bar magnet that's under the coils, 180 degrees flat, or all the positions won't hum cancel.

BE VERY CAREFUL if you do this yourself. you'll need to unscrew the baseplate of the pickup, slide it off, pop out the magnet, rotate it, cram it back in, and close up the pickup. this used to be easy, but the last DiMarzio i tried it on had some extra glue between the magnet and the baseplate and it was a mess to get the pickup open.

if you don't want to do this, you can install the neck pickup "backwards" with the slug pole pieces closest to the neck, or if you have a neck pickup where both coils are the same pole pieces [like a Blaze] it doesn't matter since it looks the same way in any orientation.

#6 ·
the problem i have is that the original wiring has some of the "poles" or whatever they are called connected, if you look at the ibanez rg2020x or wiring. They are sodered together and the new diagram has a totally different combination. (for example there are 2 that are connected together... and in the new dimagram 1, 3 might be connected together while the 1,2 are not.

#10 ·
LennyX said:
the problem i have is that the original wiring has some of the "poles" or whatever they are called connected, if you look at the ibanez rg2020x or wiring. They are sodered together and the new diagram has a totally different combination. (for example there are 2 that are connected together... and in the new dimagram 1, 3 might be connected together while the 1,2 are not.
are you sure the diagram is really totally different?

they might be using a different 'bank' of poles to do the same thing. i.e. 1 and 3 might be connected together on the right side in the diagram but on the left side of your switch, making you think that the diagram is different, but the wiring is still doing the same thing in each of those 'banks' of poles.

first of all, you should make sure you're comparing the right 'face' or side of the switch -- one side says OTAX and the other says VLX.

Rich is right -- you should map your wiring to the diagram before you try anything else.

#18 ·
LennyX said:
just curious what exactlay is the difference between the parallel and serial pickup configuration ,
have you ever looked at the wiring for speakers in a 4x12 cab, or at rack power amps? parallel and series are two different ways to hook up two things, whether humbucker coils, speakers, the two power amps in a stereo rack power amp, etc.

parallel means you hook both of them directly to the output. this is what happens on a Strat in the 2 and 4 switch positions -- two of the single coils are connected directly to the output at the same time.

series means you link the two things together, you run one into the other in a chain, and then that second one is connected to the output. this is what normal humbucking sound is, the two coils are connected to each other in a chain and then the second one is connected to the output. this gives more or louder output, as you can tell from the way a humbucker is louder than a single coil [all other things being equal].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.