<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 AM

Steve Vai used Evolutions on Gravity Storm Record?

So I just found out on dimarzio website -may be a fault but- it looks like he used evolution pickups on the track of gravity storm itself and some other tracks from his new album. Now... I am a little confused since Dimarzio put the gravity storm's original track as demo of gravity storm pickups at beginning. But noticeably, on his concert for story of light tour, I couldn't hear much of gravity storms, I did listen carefully for it and only a hss guitar he uses actually has it, and on most othet songs it was breed, evo or 7 string pickup ( dunno which one though). My concern is, how one can get this tone out of evo's ? I have been using them for a long time, but I mean they are not like this, way too much present for that.... and loose low end. What sort of amp he uses? I mean I know he has Carvin Legacy but I ask for character, mostly how is the mid range ? And for general, how he gets his burning sound with evos?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Re: Steve Vai used Evolutions on Gravity Storm Record?

Lots of people complain about the Evolution pups....I dunno why. I have them in a couple of my guitars and with a Boogie Triaxis/2:90 rig I can get them smokin hot. Not overly dominant in the highs/presence but nice tight lows and vowel-like open mids (nice lower mids as well)....
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Problem is being that it isn't so great in every setup. I use it on an Rg1570 and baswood body sounds loose a little on low end when combined with that much mid range and also I have a bad amp called AVT20, marshall. I also can't lower the damn pickups, direct mount and they have a ****ty protective sponge at down. Not for me actually.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:15 AM

evo`s and marshalls to me never work well together,both have a brightness to them which together become very cutting sound wise.
from experience i have also found out that evos sound better with an ebony fingerboard.
the legacy amps are very thick sounding and complement the evos nicely.
it might be time to replace the marshall amp as a starting point.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM

I actually love the sound of marshall's huh? What would be a better choice for heavier stuff to be played with marshall? Not that AVT20 is a good marshall but whatever. Uh any idea for a lower output, softer, tighter bridge pickup at least? But whatever the point is different here
Old 11-18-2012, 04:26 PM

tone zone or an at-1 could be worth a try.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM

I really need adjustable holes pole piece, there almost no space between strings and bridge pickup in my setup. ( Evos sound is still not that great when it is far away, but then guitar becomes unable to play). One thing I am looking at is mo' joe actually, but well, I think I might give my guitar to a luthier some time... Oh and I forgot to mention before thanks for all replies

Tags
dimarzio, evolution, gravity storm, ibanez, steve vai

Show/Hide Posting Rules