<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Steves special in a s470 (wiring)

This Q has probably been asked before but I will take my chanses any way...

I just bought a Dimarzio Steve's Special to replace my Inf2 in a S470.

Looking at the wiring diagram of the s470 the white wire of the INF2 goes to the third (from left) "connector" on the 5-way switch, and the red goes to the last (8 from left).

When I opened up the back of the s470 i see the following:
White goes to the 1st from left, and red goes to 3rd from right (hope this make sence).

The Dimarzio has 4 wires + shield, i connect White and Black to the 5-way switch (1st connector from left) and the red to the 3rd from right (as the INF2 was installed).

Does this make any sence, and most important, is it right?

Looking at the diagram it seems as if the switch is reversed, but then the red and white should switch places?!?

I get sound from the pup, but it feels weaker then the INF2 and that is not what I was looking for in the Special

Hope you can shed som light, and I will post a picture of the actual soldering just to make sure you all get what I am talking about.

Here is the s470 diagram:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s470diagram.jpg (21.2 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Re: Steves special in a s470 (wiring)

And here is the actual wiring (the text got all mushed up but the top one says - Green and Bare, middle - Red HOT, and bottom - White and Black):

Is there no one that can give som info?

In this pic i switchn places on red and white/blac. That seems to do the trick, but I still am npt that satisfied with the sound... Any suggestion...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring_sspecial.JPG (32.8 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by roccster; 04-03-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:00 AM

Just a quick recap if there is anyone interested, and that might stumble on wiring issues with the Steve Special.

Since the output seemed to almost vanish when setting the 5-way switch to use bridge and middle single coil, i replaced the red (hot) with the green (ground), (since this indicated that the 2 pups where out of fase). So now I have red and bare going to the volume pot, and green going to the switch. Now everything is as it should. I have the nice "egg" mode again and the pup is sounding hot and bitey!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccster View Post
This Q has probably been asked before but I will take my chanses any way...

I just bought a Dimarzio Steve's Special to replace my Inf2 in a S470.

Looking at the wiring diagram of the s470 the white wire of the INF2 goes to the third (from left) "connector" on the 5-way switch, and the red goes to the last (8 from left).

When I opened up the back of the s470 i see the following:
White goes to the 1st from left, and red goes to 3rd from right (hope this make sence).

The Dimarzio has 4 wires + shield, i connect White and Black to the 5-way switch (1st connector from left) and the red to the 3rd from right (as the INF2 was installed).

Does this make any sence, and most important, is it right?

Looking at the diagram it seems as if the switch is reversed, but then the red and white should switch places?!?

I get sound from the pup, but it feels weaker then the INF2 and that is not what I was looking for in the Special

Hope you can shed som light, and I will post a picture of the actual soldering just to make sure you all get what I am talking about.

Here is the s470 diagram:

Just noticed something then i picked my S670 up.
The scheme abowe is the same for my S670, and it's right. The trick is to turn your guitar up side down with the head to the right...
Otherwise it gets reversed(inverted). Some times one pickup might sound to stratish, thin, harsh and out of fase.
You may try to switch place with red and green on that pickup then.

However...
Seems like you solved it. But i just wanted to share my experiences.
Well,well...How is the Steve's Special? Are you using the "In Stock PU" in neck or what have you combined it with?

I thinking of getting Petrucci's new PU's for my OLP Petrucci.
Then they are in the European market.....I got the D-Sonic now but i dislike it more and more.
Feels like it just fit for detunings from D and below...Sounds worse i regular E.

/Deeman

Last edited by deeman; 07-01-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Tags
s470, steve special, wiring

Show/Hide Posting Rules