Sustainer... yes... or.. no? - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Sustainer... yes... or.. no?

Hey, Guys.

I have a 2005 Fender Mexi strat with a Floyd Rose.. Great guitar and it's even sounding better now with the addition of the Gravity Storm pickups. They're really nice actually. They have that Strat clarity but the beefiness of humbuckers

Now, here's my question.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not but I thought it would be fun to install a sustainer in the neck position. I was thinking of getting a sustainiac installed in the front part of the neck then a single coil in the rear of the front.

Now, is there a way to install the sustainer with modding the guitar at all? Also, if I do this what sort of pickup could I use to pair it with?

Thanks guys,

Matt S
Old 12-03-2013, 11:06 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

Re: Sustainer... yes... or.. no?

you can pair it with any single spaced pickup, but you have to make sure the pickup does not have the "triangular" baseplate. You can request a vintage size plate with any single coil/single spaced pickup.

The only mod you will have to make is drilling 4 holes into the guard to mount the pup and sustainer driver.

Yuo'll also have to make sure you have enough room for the sustainer controler in your control cavity.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
you can pair it with any single spaced pickup, but you have to make sure the pickup does not have the "triangular" baseplate. You can request a vintage size plate with any single coil/single spaced pickup.

The only mod you will have to make is drilling 4 holes into the guard to mount the pup and sustainer driver.

Yuo'll also have to make sure you have enough room for the sustainer controler in your control cavity.
Thanks for the info RG

I emailed the guys who create the sustainiac and he pretty much told me the same thing as you except for the plate. However, they don't recommend doing a driver and single coil next to each other. So, I may have to get a SSH pickguard then. I'll keep my Gravity Storm bridge pickup but I'll need to find a good single coil in the middle.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 AM

I can think of two different artists, Steve Vai and Neal Schon, who use a Fernandes Sustainer with a DiMarzio Pro Track or some similar dual rail pickup next to it.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Just buy an Ebow

Tags
fender , floyd rose , gravity storm pickups

Show/Hide Posting Rules