<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Re: the truth about emgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvai View Post
how do you do that? unless I roll the volume down the clean channel sounds dirty, I mean not like the lead channel lol, but more like you hit a chord strongly and it goes kind of distorted
the x2n is like that
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvai View Post
how do you do that? unless I roll the volume down the clean channel sounds dirty, I mean not like the lead channel lol, but more like you hit a chord strongly and it goes kind of distorted
You've got to back the pickups away from the strings. Yes you can put EMG pickups closer to the strings than you could with passive pickups due to less magnetic interference, but that's not to say you should put them too close to the strings.

I get great clean sounds with my EMG humbuckers.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
What kind of gear are you playing thru? EMG's won't make low end gear sound better.
Low end is low end, period. No pickup will make low end stuff sound better. It will sound worse!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trfsrfr View Post
My $.02,
I have pretty limited experience with emg's. I have an older (1984 ish) Ibanez roadstar RG440 that has a EMG looking pick-up in it, that is middle of the road.
I also have a 1989 RG570 with stock pick-ups.
And I have an Epiphone Special II with stock pick-ups.
I just very recently picked up a used Jackson, not sure of the model, probably low to mid-grade guitar, that has EMG HZ's in it, and I can tell you that I am not impressed. It has a push-pull knob that switches on the high gain part, and it sounds pretty good for what I think would be a good metal rhythm sound. But VERY VERY NOISY NOISY!!!.
When I got it, the battery was dead. So I was excited to see how it would sound when I put in a new one. It didnt come to life like I expected it to. Maybe I bought a battery that had been on the shelf awhile and was slightly de-charged, but it didnt impress me like I had hoped.
Also it is very difficult to get any good pinch harmonics out of it.
My Epiphone humbucker gets better crunch and easier pinch harmonics, although it feeds back very easily.
My 570 sound is mid to medium-high metal sound, with good crunch and sensitivity (what I would consider easier to get pinch harmonics).
Maybe the ease of getting these P.H's are what I view as being a good pick-up quality; and I could be all wrong. But I am looking for a new pick-up for my new hybrid Ibanez RG something or other, and I am pretty sure that an active pick-up (of any brand, not just emg's (I dont like batteries that go dead) will NOT be my choice.
Just my opinion.

Wait a minute- HZ are passive. You changed the batteries on what guitar?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM

ok I have a question, how does Reb Beach has such a cool tone? He has used emgs in so many guitars, I think some of his Suhrs even have them.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
ok I have a question, how does Reb Beach has such a cool tone? He has used emgs in so many guitars, I think some of his Suhrs even have them.
Because they actually sound good and people just like to talk crap about them.

Tags
active, boss pedal, emg, pickups, schaller tuners, warmoth strat, your mom, zakk wylde

You may also search for:

Show/Hide Posting Rules