<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Question

Tonezone sounding like single coil ?

Hey guys

Ive been loving my prestige 3550mz , but recently took out the tonezone to put in a duncan JB. I took out the duncan and put the TZ back in , and now i notice , on distortion settings , it has a realy twang to it , like a single coil pickup

Is this normal ? I didnt really try the TZ out much before i put in the JB so icant compare the "before and after" sounds. Its definately wired in correctly and is operating correctyl ,but has a very twangy tone on heavy sounds.

Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Re: Tonezone sounding like single coil ?

Probably not wired correctly--only way I can see this happening. Make sure the black and white leads are soldered together--only if this is the only pickup in the guitar. Othersise:
http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/C.pdf
Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Does it hum like a single coil pickup?? Does it have a high output like it should be louder than the neck pickup? The TZ shouldnt be really twangy sounds like you have it hooked up wrong or bad lead or something. Good luck getting back to full TZ shreddage.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Reviews: 130

Last time I saw this happen someone had the black and white wires soldered together AND soldered to ground. Make sure this is not the case. The black and white wires should be connected to each other and nothing else. I have a TZ in the bridge of a Les Paul attached to a coil split switch and it indeed takes on a certain "twang" in single-coil mode. Check it out.

Cheers,

Race
Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 AM

Remember that Seymarzio wire color codes are different.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Hey guys , sorry to bump an old thread.

Im still having single coil twang from my tonezone.

I noticed also , when i knelt down infront of my amp , the isp decimator became useless and there was loads of noise while the tonezone was selected. I flipped overto the air norton , total silence. Its asif the tonezone is not only twanging like a single coil , but having the noise response of a single coil too. It is identicle in noise ratio to the single coil midle pickup.

People are suggesting the black and white wires should be joined and taped up.
I just opened the guitar planning to do this , however , both TZ and AN pickups have the black and white wires soldered to the 5way switch. So i dont think this is teh answer.....

Any ideas dudes ?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

A picture of your 5-way selecter poles would really help. If you've got the black and white wires soldered to the 5-way--that is normal! Remember, the 5-way has multiple switching options. In the bottom position, both sides of the TZ will be used, in the next position, just one side of the TZ will be powered in conjunction with the singlecoil middle, etc... It sounds like your TZ is not getting full use when switched to the bottom position, but a picture speaks louder than words.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 130

'Bat's got it--we need a pic. Sounds like either you've got the TZ black/white soldered to the incorrect lug on the 5-way switch, got a solder short, or something is internally wrong with the 5-way switch. Post a pic as soon as you can.

Cheers,

Race
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerevlon View Post
'Bat's got it--we need a pic. Sounds like either you've got the TZ black/white soldered to the incorrect lug on the 5-way switch, got a solder short, or something is internally wrong with the 5-way switch. Post a pic as soon as you can.

Cheers,

Race
You seem to be following me lately. Henceforth, you'll be refered to as Robin.

Show/Hide Posting Rules