<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Weird wiring on HSH w/VLX91 *HELP!*(Buddroyce?)

hi guys, i've been asked to wire a HSH this way:

the selector is a VLX91 and pickup-wise we have:

(neck): 4-conductors DiMarzio PAF7
(center): 2-conductors Ibanez single-coil (black + white)
(bridge): 4-conductors DiMarzio ToneZone7

now, i don't know wether it's possible or not, just wondering. if it is, can anyone tell me how to wire it up? i really can't get into selector wirings! thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:59 PM
(a)
Vendor

Re: Weird wiring on HSH w/VLX91 *HELP!*(Buddroyce?)

Here ya go Nuno

Ignore the crappy chicken scratch doodle... I just work faster on paper than drawing things up on the computer.

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/i...attach=4;image

Let me know how it works out for you. I haven't tested it but it should work fine as it's just a variation on the standard HSH Jem/RG wiring.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:59 PM

Hey nuno

of course its possible!

here is a schematic of how you would wire up the switch, pots and jack.

Ive drawn the diagram on-top of one of my templates... Hopefully it should be relatively easy to follow.

The green wires from both humbuckers go to ground, as does the black wire from the single coil.

V = volume pot (drawn as push pull but push pull part not used)
T = tone pot (drawn as push pull but push pull part not used)
J = output jack socket

A, B, C & D on the left side of the top blue box represent the four poles of the VLX91 switch.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & "C" represent the 5 position contacts and the "Common" contact

The bridge pickup should have its white and black wire shorted together and insulated

the 0.3nF capacitor is a high pass filter and you dont need to include it if you dont want to

The little black symbol comming off position 2 and 3 of pole C is the standard symbol for an earth connection.

If you have any other questions Ill be glad to help..

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 AM

Buddroyce and Devo: YOU F* RULE!!! thanks to no end to both!!!

just a question to each:

Buddroyce: i have problems viewing the image you linked me. the DiMarzio forum page asks me to register in, i do so but i can't view the visual verification picture that's necessary to register. i tried and refreshed many times but i can't get into it. if it's a simple jpg or so, would you please send it to: migi@ibanez87.it? thanks!

Devo: i think i can't locate the A, B, C, D poles of the selector. IIRC, the VLX91 has one face with "VLX91" tag on, and "OTAX" engraved in the opposite face. now, would you please tell me what face are the A & B poles on? thank you!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Hey Nuno,

The great thing is that it doesnt matter which poles you pick to be A B C and D they are all independant..

here is a pic of a VLX91/OTAX switch i had lying around... I put some arrows and numbers on it to help

I labelled the pole (the row of 5 contacts) on the left as pole A and the one the right as pole B..

hopefully that should help

Best wishes

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM

extrasuper thanks Devo! super clear now! i'm gonna try that wiring right tonight and let you know!

btw: is there kind of a rule of thumb to "understand" the selectors wiring without losing days to test any possible connection with a tester? or am i supposed to bore you guys any time?
Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Hey Nuno,

no probs man!

Im not sure what your asking there.. Selector switches are very simple things. In the case of the VLX91/OTAX switch you need some sort of testing device to find out which contact is which but with other 4 pole switches its really easy to figure out just be looking at them

like this one...

Steve
Old 07-06-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
btw: is there kind of a rule of thumb to "understand" the selectors wiring without losing days to test any possible connection with a tester?

VLX (or similar "super" switches) often are a lot easier to understand than standard 5-ways.

First, you got 4 rows of contacts, 2 on each side, each having contacts 1-5 and 0. The "0"-Contact is the "common-c" contact in devo's post. With all wiring removed, there are no internal connections between those rows, all rows work independent of each other.
Now, if you look at this diagram, and put the switch into the "1" position (that is, all the way to the right on the left pic and all the way to the left on the right pic), each "1"-contact will be connected internally to the "0"-contact on the same row. In that position, there are no other internal connections, so, no 2-0, 3-0, 4-0 or 5-0- connection, just the 1-0.
Now, if you move the switch into the "2"-position, each "2"-pole gets connected to the corresponding "0". 1-0, 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0 are disabled. And so on.

Now, while keeping that in mind, download a jem diagram (they have a vlx switch + standard wiring, so they are pretty simple to follow), simulate each switch position in your head and be enlightened

Last edited by horstausmforst; 07-06-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:54 AM

MY GAWD!!!
this does clear up a huge mistery! thanks zillions Horstausmforst!!!! YAY!!! of course zillions thanks to Devo and Buddroyce also!

but i have another question at this point: how do i decide what pole (A, B, C, D) to use for connections? i mean, for example, why in Devo's wiring scheme the B-pole hasn't been used? or why the single-coil is connected to the D-pole instead of, for example, the B- or the C-pole?

sorry for bothering, but while i'm here, i'd like to shed some light on every dark corner left

Last edited by nuno; 07-09-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 AM
(a)

Hey nuno

thx for goin' for all this trouble to get my guitar wired up. I tried reading through this thread but got lost after the first two posts. What would I do without you dude!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:37 AM

well, actually i have to thank you because if it wasn't for your guitar to be rewired, i'd had no chance to ask the guys about it, and i wouldn't be learning all this stuff. which is great!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
MY GAWD!!!
but i have another question at this point: how do i decide what pole (A, B, C, D) to use for connections? i mean, for example, why in Devo's wiring scheme the B-pole hasn't been used? or why the single-coil is connected to the D-pole instead of, for example, the B- or the C-pole?

sorry for bothering, but while i'm here, i'd like to shed some light on every dark corner left
Hey nuno,

there is no reason for my selection of poles... I was just drawing it as it came to me... and I thought of the bridge pickup first so that went to A.... Then I thought about the neck pickup and decided to put that on A as well as there was space... I knew neck black would need two connections (wite and ground) there are a few ways to do this but having the black wire soldered to the common output is my favourite way.. so I put that on C for no reason at all... then I just put the middle pickup output on the D pole again for no particular reason.

If I was going to wire this up I would keep A (from my OTAX picture) as pole A and make the pole directly behind that D, that way you can thread the output wire straight though the common (or zero) hole in A to the (common or zero) hole in D and use less wire that way
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 AM

i had the suspect that there wasn't any particular reasons to use this or that pole, but you never know... that's truly great! thanks Devo!

you guys freaking rule!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
Here ya go Nuno

Ignore the crappy chicken scratch doodle... I just work faster on paper than drawing things up on the computer...
for some reasons everything works today on the DiMarzio Forum. thanks for the sketch Budd!

Tags
bridge pickup, dimarzio paf, dimarzio tone, dimarzio tonezone, high pass filter, jack socket, neck pickup, pole switch

Show/Hide Posting Rules