<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 7

What high output dimarzio for S series Jap guitar?

Hey guys. I'm getting this S series Jap guitar with the low pro. I like the pickups that are in it, but I wish it had more output in the bridge, but I also want any replacment to work with the neck humbucker in that I don't want it to over power it? Any suggestions?

I really want a really high out put pickup for the bridge, and if I get one, then I'll probably change the neck. I'm thinking about a the Super 3, but I'm not sure about using it in the body wood? I'm afraid it might be too dark. Also, if I get the Distortion which is my next choice or a EVO, what neck pup would you guys use? I'm thinking I"d go with a Norton pup for the neck? Then just use the area 67 in the mid? Don't know.. Anyway, if you can just recommend a good bridge pup. I typically like to use my volume controls a lot, and I like loads of harmonics. I kinda do the Zakk thing, or better would be a lot of pinch harmonics like Billy Gibbons or John Sykes, etc.. Again, no actives for this guitar.. This one has to be pretty and sweet sounding as much as possible since I'll also use the neck pup split with the single in the middle, etc, for that pretty stuff..
Tim
Old 12-16-2012, 10:09 PM

Reviews: 130

Re: What high output dimarzio for S series Jap guitar?

I have an S470QM that has a Super 3 in the bridge, Cruiser middle, and Humbucker from Hell in the neck. I chose the Humbucker from Hell because I love the sound of a neck single coil, but with more output.

I can see how you'd be hesitant to put a Super 3 in a mahogany bodied guitar but it works extremely well with my Splawn and Jet City Amps. Very heavy, but not muddy or clubby in the bottom end, and a great benefit is that solos don't sound ice-pick shrill up high on the neck.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks Racer.
I'm not sure about the Super 3 in the body of the S, but like you said, it sounds good. That pickup is one of my favorites. I had it in a Strat by fender. I can't think of the name of the guitar model, but it was one where Strat was trying to compete with the super strats of the day like Jackson and Kramer, so they put out this Strat with a 25" scale, and the Super 3 in the bridge, etc,. It had STRAT in big letters on the headstock. Killer guitar. I'm not sure what the wood was though, but if it was mahogany, then that's what I'm using in the S, because that guitar just rocked with the FLoyd and the pickup, wood combo..
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Dominion!!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Dominion? I don't know that one? Is it a new Dimarzio?
I'm going to look.. BRB
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Dominion!!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned

It came out earlier in the year.
It's the Mark Morton sig---and kicks butt!
You don't have to be a Lamb of God fan to like this one.
LP and I reviewed them when they cane out---but the review section is still down.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 PM

Cool, Thanks Alaska. I appreciate it man.. Hey, where you live in TN? I went thru that state back last summer and fell in love with the mountains man.. I'm from Southern Indiana and we have some cool hills here, but nothing like that. Now, I lived in CO for awile back in the late 70;s and early 80s and man, those are mountains.. LOL..
Tim
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Cool, Thanks Alaska. I appreciate it man.. Hey, where you live in TN? I went thru that state back last summer and fell in love with the mountains man.. I'm from Southern Indiana and we have some cool hills here, but nothing like that. Now, I lived in CO for awile back in the late 70;s and early 80s and man, those are mountains.. LOL..
Tim
We're not settled into TN yet--just heading that way.
Mountains?!?!? You should see the ones up here in AK.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Oh, cool. Yeah, I bet man. I'd love to live there too! LOL.. Most people don't know it, but Colorado has the highest like 30 something mountains in the lower 48. Only AK has higher mountains I think in N america..

Tim
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM

So far for me, winners are (all in S series guitars):

1)Gravity storms with Fastrack1 in middle position. REALLY like the GS pickups.

2)Moe Joe/PAF Joe combo, again, really nice, same middle pickup. The Gravity's are a bit thicker but I need to spend more time deciphering these. Someone told me they're no good with a mahogany body but I actually think they're pretty darn good.

I have a Liquifire/Crunchlab set to go into a project guitar I'm still working on (another S series). So I haven't tried these out yet. I do have a set of Breeds in a Prestige S series and I'm finding them a bit too much on the treble side with a Legacy3 which is considered to be a dark amp. I haven't run through all of my 11R patches with the Breeds yet however as I'm in the process of organizing hundreds of patches. But right now they're my least favorite pickup that I own, including a few stock Ibanez pickups. They just don't seem to work well in an S body. I think they need a guitar which is a bit more substantial and darker.

I will more than likely swap in the LF/CLabs into the guitar with Breeds at some point but just for a bit. Pickups are white and designed for my project guitar so they can't stay in there as they'd just look funny.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:03 AM

i just got a crunch lab and it is like a megadrive meets a breed with more power. Overall an excellent pickup. Very deep and clear like a d-sonic but more harmonically complex in the mid range.

If you like the breed but want more edge/grit or if you like the fred but want a deeper responce with more output the crunch lab is it. I am very impressed.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys. THe Crunch Lab is interesting. You know, I love Active pups, but mostly for the fact that they hit hard, and are quiet, and one can't get shocked as easy! But, I love passives as I seem to be able to dial my tone in better with the same, if they are high enough output. I'm used to the actives, and I think the hotter pups give the ability at least to get more sustain with a standard gain amp. Or an amp that's not high gain. You can use one and maybe not need as much of a boost for instance or as many pedals, etc,. But, that said, I'm thinking of the D Activators? Anyone use one? What do you think? Do you think it would sound ok in a Mahogany body guitar like the S series?
Tim
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 AM

the d activators aren't bad. They do a good job at being hard hitting and clear. I wasn't a huge fan of the neck pickup though. It was clear but lacked personality and sparkle. Again they are good at what they do if you do enjoy active pickups.

I hated the d activator X pickups. Thier tone was flat and blan. to me they represented the bad aspects of an active pickup.

The best active pickups i have ever played was a set of seymour duncan dave mustaine live wires.

I am not a big megadeth fan or dave mustaine fan but the live wire set is basically an active seymour JB and Jazz. They sound amazing, have great dynamics and are very true to the passive pickup's sound but with all the greatness that active pickups offer.

That said either way you go I dont think you will be disappointed.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Hey J, it's interesting you mention the Duncan Actives. I have one Humbucker in my mojo strat I call it which is a frankenstrat. It has a pickguard with just a Metal Humbucker Active Blackout 2 Pup by Duncan. This pup is the upgraded version of the Livewires which was what I originally wanted, but I wrote Duncan and they said to just take the jumper off the Blackout 2. This gives the pickup a passive output basically, but with all the good features of an active pup like not getting shocked, no buzz (these are quieter than the EMG's in my opinion, but it could be because they aren't as high in output too, so there's no buzzing inherit in the pup with this much gain in the lower ouput mode), etc,. I love this pup, and this guitar. This guitar was already a killer guitar with the PAF Pro pup I had, and the Duncan Distortion that I tried, but man with the Active Blackout I'm really impressed. I'ts a little darker of a pup it seems to me, but nothing bad. It just has this cool passive color to it, but with more than enough output, but not screaming like the EMG 81. Yet, it has as much or close to as much as say the Dimarzio Tone Zone. It for some reason kind of reminds me of the Tone Zone but in an active pickup, but maybe that's not a good description. It just has ton's of harmonics, and loads of sustain over other passives of course, and this one since it has such low magnets even has better sustain I think. I can hold a note forever even without a lot of gain and it just sounds cool. Playing blues it just rocks..
Highly recommended if you're looking for a pup that's active, yet not over bearing, etc,.
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post

The best active pickups i have ever played was a set of seymour duncan dave mustaine live wires.

I am not a big megadeth fan or dave mustaine fan but the live wire set is basically an active seymour JB and Jazz. They sound amazing, have great dynamics and are very true to the passive pickup's sound but with all the greatness that active pickups offer.

That said either way you go I dont think you will be disappointed.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM

I guess I should have said if I didn't, that in the S series guitar that I have, I don't want actives. It's going to be another tone monster, but for different purposes and different music. The Strat is my Metal guitar when I need that tone, and for playing screaming leads in some songs, etc,. The S series is going to be the "go to guitar" for all types of music, etc, with the pups that it has in the HSH configuration, etc, which in my humble opinion covers all types of music if you have a few effects and a good amp, etc,..
Tim

Tags
dimarzio, distortion pickup, s series

Show/Hide Posting Rules