<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Reviews: 7

Where to mount 9v battery in strat?

Hello.

Hey, I have a killer strat that I love that I just stuck a Duncan Active pickup in the One hum route in the pickguard, but I don't exactly know where to mount the battery? I don't have a battery box and I stuck it under the pickguard, but if the battery runs down I might have to change strings again, etc? Is there a better way?

Tim
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Re: Where to mount 9v battery in strat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Hello.

Hey, I have a killer strat that I love that I just stuck a Duncan Active pickup in the One hum route in the pickguard, but I don't exactly know where to mount the battery? I don't have a battery box and I stuck it under the pickguard, but if the battery runs down I might have to change strings again, etc? Is there a better way?

Tim
As long as you don't leave it plugged in all the time, a battery will last FAR longer than any set of strings. Even if you keep your strings for way longer than you should, just go ahead and change the battery when you put new ones on, a couple of bucks for a fresh battery (a lot less if bought in quantity) is worth it to not have to think about it dying at an inopportune time.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM
LonePhantom  is online

Reviews: 120

It'll be fine under the pickguard. Use Duracells, I found them to last the longest.

And you don't need to take the strings off. Remove the springs from the tremolo cavity, loosen the strings a bit, and you'll have enough slack to remove the pickguard enough to replace the battery.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 AM

I have been looking at this for a while, the only place is at the back between the two springs. You're not going to find a more convenient place than that. I even try turning the piece that you screw the jack connector around to create more room inside, won't work.

I use a two sided foam tape to stick the battery to the cavity and screw the back plate back on. Works like a champ.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Hi Alan,

I thought about this, but I basically use my Trem which is the old style 6 hole trem as a hard tail bridge and I have 4 springs holding the trem in and I have it screwed all the way in. So, there's not enough room, but I'm going to check on it the next time I change springs. I like the bridge to be all the way down on the body for maximum sustain. I have another guitar with whammy for such trem stuff.. So, this guitar is a straight ahead screamer so to speak with just one Duncan Metal Active Humbucker loaded in the pickguard. But, I thought about this and I think it might work. Thanks man. I appreciate..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I have been looking at this for a while, the only place is at the back between the two springs. You're not going to find a more convenient place than that. I even try turning the piece that you screw the jack connector around to create more room inside, won't work.

I use a two sided foam tape to stick the battery to the cavity and screw the back plate back on. Works like a champ.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM

Where does one get double sided foam? Please tell me I can find it at the local hardware store?
Oh, I do use Duracells and they do last the longest it seems, and you do have to remember to unplug the guitar and the battery will last forever it seems. I've have another guitar with EMG's and I like them too for their sound, but I think this Duncan just sounds better in some way.. Don't know how to describe it..
Tim
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Yes--you can find it at Home Depot and Lowes.
Look in the windows and doors section. It's the weather seal strips you put in door and window frames.
Comes in different thicknesses and works great!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 AM

Alan, I just tried to see if a Battery would work inside the two springs in the trem cavity. I guess this is where you meant? Anyway, I can't do it because it woudn't work for me.. It's too shallow and the battery sticks out of the back and the back plate won't attach then.. :-(
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post

Old 12-21-2012, 05:06 AM

I always thought that this was the neatest solution for a strat, it does require a little routing though. The Clapton strat:

Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 AM

Oh, I see now from the pic. I thought you meant to leave in just two springs and then mount inside the springs. Sorry, my bad. Yeah, that works. I thought about that myself, but then I could always just route a battery box anywhere in the guitar that would not interfere with anything else, but I do like your option here. I'm going to do that I think. Thanks man.
Oh, I love the paint job too! Killer. What's that color called if you don't mind me asking?
Tim
Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 AM

There is a way to squeeze a battery in between the springs, but routing is neater and leaves the trem free. No idea what that colour is, I just found it on the net to illustrate the point.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Tim--I think the best and neatest solution will require a little routing.

Tags
active pickup mounting

Show/Hide Posting Rules