<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Why does Ibanez RG = DiMarzio pickups

okay, so it's not the law, and it's not universal, but it seems like higher-end Ibanez RG (and similar types) come with DiMarzio pickups, and that any discussion about replacement pickups revolves primarily around DiM.

Why is this? I mean I know Ibanez probably has a deal with them as their pickup supplier, but why do people focus on DiM as their main option on aftermarket pups?

I'm not trolling, I'm just wondering as I'm thinking about what to go for if I change the DiM/IBZ pickups in my new RG2550z. Every search I've done on this has come up with DiM pickups, not SDs or anything much else.

Is there any reason for this? Tone-wise, wood-pickup combination, type of music etc etc.?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 5

Re: Why does Ibanez RG = DiMarzio pickups

I will be the first to admit being guilty, but a big reason (not the only reason) is simple....fanboy-ism.

Having said that, I think many DiMarzios do make a good match in an RG. I had an EMG 81/85 set in a Roadstar II that is empty now, most likely gonna throw in a PAF Pro set or AN/TZ.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Reviews: 1

I think a big part of it is indeed the "fanboy" aspect.

RG's have historically tended to be used for a certain type of music, often played by artists with other Ibanez guitars using DiMarzio pickups.

The easiest way to get close to your favourite artist's tone is to use his gear, and pickups, being a big part of tone and a small cost in comparison to a full Marshall stack or a rack of doom are a great first step to that tone.

That and they sound good
Old 08-13-2010, 04:21 PM

ha ha, that's funny. I was kind of expecting some really technical responses on 'pickup dynamics' or something that I don't understand, but yeah: fanboys and wanting to be like your heros. Makes sense! On the other hand, that means I'm going to have to widen my search to other brands, which will make my choice more difficult.

I only got the guitar yesterday, so I'm going to give the stock pups a chance. They don't blow me away though. We'll see..
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 PM

In the future I may go to some bare knuckles but I like dimarzio better than SD's. My jem will be fanboy'd out though with the evos
Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
ha ha, that's funny. I was kind of expecting some really technical responses on 'pickup dynamics' or something that I don't understand, but yeah: fanboys and wanting to be like your heros. Makes sense! On the other hand, that means I'm going to have to widen my search to other brands, which will make my choice more difficult.

I only got the guitar yesterday, so I'm going to give the stock pups a chance. They don't blow me away though. We'll see..
The simple question is who do you want to sound like?

Me, I like Steve Vai's tone on Alien Love Secrets so I have several guitars with DiMarzio Evolution pickups. I also like Satriani's tone on FIABD and the Extremist so I have several guitars with the Fred/PAF Pro combination.

If I wanted to sound like Slash, I'd buy a Les Paul type guitar and get some of his signature pickups.

Simples .
Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

the most plausible reason is predictability...
if i was a manufacturer I would go with a single supplier
boutique, non typical spec or experimental range will never equal large sales figures.
outside the main stream will only sell to experienced or eclectic tastes.
certainly not the description of your average high school attendee............
Old 08-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I know some of the J Customs come with Duncans, buy yeah--DiMarzios are the mainstay of high-end Ibbies. Just personal preference, but all I use are DiMarzios. I think they sound better, plus I can get them for a good $10-$15 cheaper than Duncans. In the end, it really comes down to loyalty.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 PM

I'm an SD player, I really think that SD's sound 'rawer' than DiM's... personal preference I guess....

Regards,
Nelson
Old 08-13-2010, 08:45 PM

I really don't care one bit what other people play. I migrated through a bunch of other pickups and pretty much settled on Dimarzio because they sound good to me.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
I really don't care one bit what other people play. I migrated through a bunch of other pickups and pretty much settled on Dimarzio because they sound good to me.
That's the #1 reason everyone should apply when shopping for gear. So many, "What amp should I get?" "What pickups should I choose?" Some people just think that buying gear that is endorsed by a top celeb will make them sound like that person. They are left heartbroken when they find out there's no magic button that makes them play like that person. Always try before you buy!
Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 AM

Because Porsche = Michelin tires and Bose sound system, Mesa cabinets = V30's and so on and on and on and on...
Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
That's the #1 reason everyone should apply when shopping for gear. So many, "What amp should I get?" "What pickups should I choose?" Some people just think that buying gear that is endorsed by a top celeb will make them sound like that person. They are left heartbroken when they find out there's no magic button that makes them play like that person. Always try before you buy!
Whilst I agree you should always try before you buy, it's not really something that applies to pickups now is it?

Buying gear that is endorsed by a top celeb is one thing, but buying gear that is USED by a top celebrity will get you closer to their sound if you're not a complete novice.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Whilst I agree you should always try before you buy, it's not really something that applies to pickups now is it?

Buying gear that is endorsed by a top celeb is one thing, but buying gear that is USED by a top celebrity will get you closer to their sound if you're not a complete novice.
Yeah-that was just a reference to gear in general, but there a some options as far as pickups go. Soundbytes from DiMarzio and Duncan plus going to a music shop and trying out guitars with different pickups through different amps...
Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 AM

Yes but it's the most difficult part of the guitar to settle on, don't you think? You can easily find an Ibanez RG in any music shop, and if you want to try it through a Blackstar HT20 you might be able to find that as well, but you won't be able to find an RG with SD or Bareknuckle pickups in order to try it out at a music store. So in that sense we have to ask 'What pickups should I buy?' to get input from others, even if that advice may be flawed and our tastes are different.

Plus, the 'demos' of pickups on manufacturers websites and youtube give you very little to go on imo. There is so much mroe involved than just the pickups. Ultimately it is You--->Guitar--->Pickups--->Amp that defines the exact sound you end up getting, (you could also add in picks, strings, cables etc), so its no wonder its such a common question on the forums.

Tags
dimarzio

Show/Hide Posting Rules