<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 AM

Question

Will Dimarzio pickups fit in my RG1570?

I just purchased an RG1570 that still has the stock pickups in it and I'd like to replace them with some dimarzio's, possibly the Tone Zone and Air Norton, Crunch Lab and liquifire combo, or Evo's.

My problem is that after doing a little research it seems that some dimarzio's such as the Crunch Lab won't fit in the guitar because the route is too shallow. So my question is, which dimarzio pickups will fit in my guitar without having to take a router to it?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Reviews: 37

Re: Will Dimarzio pickups fit in my RG1570?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandersn9 View Post
I just purchased an RG1570 that still has the stock pickups in it and I'd like to replace them with some dimarzio's, possibly the Tone Zone and Air Norton, Crunch Lab and liquifire combo, or Evo's.

My problem is that after doing a little research it seems that some dimarzio's such as the Crunch Lab won't fit in the guitar because the route is too shallow. So my question is, which dimarzio pickups will fit in my guitar without having to take a router to it?

all you got to do is try to fit them.
on mine the neck one stuck up too much and i had to slightly route the part where the ears do deeper. i used a dremel.

yours might be o.k. but again all you have to do is put them in and try.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM

it should fit, I have a crunch lab in my cheapo N2 and it doesn't seem any thicker than any other dimarzio. I had a 570 and the route was more than deep enough for dimarzios
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
all you got to do is try to fit them.
on mine the neck one stuck up too much and i had to slightly route the part where the ears do deeper. i used a dremel.

yours might be o.k. but again all you have to do is put them in and try.
ughh I wish there wasn't even a chance of that happening, I don't know how comfortable I feel drilling into the guitar. Was it difficult?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM

its not helpful but i just put a duncan tb4 in mine without issue
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

If you look at the F-spaced pickups you'll see that Dimarzio makes them in two different heights. If you run into interference the backing plate can be switched out to a shorter one if you have another DiMarzio laying around. This will only yeild a slightly shorter pickup, but may be enough to work. The back plates are interchangeable.

Your only other options are to pick another pickup, or make the recess deeper as mentioned above.

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...ms/DMHBdim.pdf

Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
If you look at the F-spaced pickups you'll see that Dimarzio makes them in two different heights. If you run into interference the backing plate can be switched out to a shorter one if you have another DiMarzio laying around. This will only yeild a slightly shorter pickup, but may be enough to work. The back plates are interchangeable.

Your only other options are to pick another pickup, or make the recess deeper as mentioned above.
Perfect! Thanks for that link. So I'm guessing that people that have installed dimarzio's without having to do any modification have gotten the shorter pickups. I'll have to give dimarzio a call and see if I can specify which ones I want.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM

From those drawings, it looks like the coils are different thickness and the backing plate is the same.

Edit: I just measured an F spaced Crunch Lab with a dial caliper and it's .98 from the top to the mounting screw tabs.

Last edited by moonlight; 01-23-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 2

I had to route mine to fit Evo pups as the "Bobbins" are taller than usual the others should fit just fine
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Look out for pickups with thicker magnets - it might be the culprit here. It seems that at least D Activators have a double thick magnet underneath the bobbins.

EDIT Here's a figure from DiMarzio's site, I assume the taller one on the right is the one with a larger magnet http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...ms/DMHBdim.pdf
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM

F spaced bridge and normal neck will fit. STAY AWAY FROM EVOS! Baswood body + evos, and if you have a bright amp or you use much treble, well, thats unlimited feedback and noise. I personally use cables that lowers the treble, i also lower treble from my amp, and from pedal, so I can control it. Tone zone and air norton will fit nicely, crunch lab and liquifire is good if you Don't have a marshall or similar amp. But, go for Mo Joe' and something like Paf Pro for neck. It is really good, and will go nice with any amp. Btw when i did put these evos in there, it just didn't require any work.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM

The snakeoil salesman sold me tone boost cables the other day. I plugged in, and nothing came out. Turns out that silence was the improvement

I seriously did not know that there were cables out there that lowered treble. I looked it up and yeah there's high capacitance low capacitance cables out there.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemges View Post
F spaced bridge and normal neck will fit. STAY AWAY FROM EVOS! Baswood body + evos, and if you have a bright amp or you use much treble, well, thats unlimited feedback and noise. I personally use cables that lowers the treble, i also lower treble from my amp, and from pedal, so I can control it. Tone zone and air norton will fit nicely, crunch lab and liquifire is good if you Don't have a marshall or similar amp. But, go for Mo Joe' and something like Paf Pro for neck. It is really good, and will go nice with any amp. Btw when i did put these evos in there, it just didn't require any work.
Alright thanks! I will take your word for it about the pickups fitting haha. I had Evo's in my old RG350 and it was a mega chunky sounding guitar through just about any amp, I miss that guitar....

I'm thinking more about the tonezone and norton
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 AM

I hate the TZ in my basswood rg. Prefer the super distortion or super 3. Will be trying Breeds soon
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 AM

Altough, i might add that RG1570's routing differs between years. Mine is an 2006 MRR, can't be sure if it will be same with <2004 or new edge zero ones

Show/Hide Posting Rules