Wires - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Wires

I'm going to order some wiring for the myriad of guitars I have to work on, and i'm not sure what kind of wiring is best/needed. There are so many kinds... I will basically just need it for pots, pup switch, and plug. I will want it shielded. I have seen many types, with different amounts of conductors and such... I dont know what any of these specifications mean though, will someone fill me in with everything i need to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Re: Wires

You don't need shielded wire for pots and switches. 22ga is the usual size for that wiring.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 1

You don't NEED shielded wire but its worth using if you doing a full re-wire job. Probably best looking at Stew Mac's wire then finding out what you need and ordering it from somewhere cheaper.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Well what kind of wires do I need to get the job done? Will I need both 4 conductor and this other one - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...cuit_Wire.html

What does 4 conductor mean?

I also found the 22AWG, you speak of... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...cuit_Wire.html

So I dont "need" to use shielded, but if it helps with noise... i will probably want to... can I use the shielded 28 AWG for pots and switches?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 PM

You dont need multi conductor for what you are doing.

Unshielded 22 AWG will be fine and 100' will be way more than you will probably ever need.

Don't waste your money on the shielded, it wont do you any good.

Last edited by elcid; 01-08-2010 at 12:03 AM.
elcid is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode