<back   Jemsite > Toolbox: Setup, Repairs and Mods > Pickups & wiring

Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:02 PM

Wiring a 7620 like a JS...

The tone pot bit the dust last week on my 7620, and since I've always wanted to have it rewired with a 3-way switch and a push-pull tone pot coil tap a la a js-100 (no real interest in the high pass filter, so no 1000...) I was going to have that done while it's in. Has anyone done this yet? I was going to send it in with both the JS-100 and 1000 schematics (seeing as this has Dimarzios in it, it'll help them figure out what to do with the extra wires, i figured) but would the fact I'm going with a three way blade switch be a problem? Any feedback would be great, and if anyone actually has a wiring diagram for a JS-100 style layout with "real" dimarzio pickups, that'd be great... Thanks

-Drew
Old 03-21-2003, 12:30 PM

Just use the JS-1000 layout, but tell them to ignore the push-pull on the volume control. All it does is engage a capacitor, anyway. It's not any special magic related to the pickups.

The 3-way blade switch shouldn't be a problem. Looking for more simplicity? I like having a 3-way toggle with push-pull options myself.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:33 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1
are both 7620 pickups 4-conductor? that would be required to coil-split both PUs... glen
Old 03-21-2003, 12:45 PM

Darren- ok, thanks, I wasn't sure if some of the extra wiring running into the thing was for the high-pass capacitator function- in retrospect, it should have been obvious that it wouldn't be, as pulling the volume pot doens't actually affect the pickups, just filters it a bit... And yeah, i think not only would the layout be simpler, with a three-way and a coil tap, but you'd also get more tonal options out of it too. If you were suggesting going with a toggle for simplicity (not sure quite what you meant there), well, it'd require some routing, so the blade's easier.

Jemsite- yeah, it's an AN7/TZ7 set, four conductor leads on both. First thing i checked.

Thanks guys.

Any recomendation for a selector switch for this, or will the guys at my shop know what to do?

-Drew
Old 03-21-2003, 12:58 PM

I wasn't suggesting going to a toggle. That's just my preference and what my Dean came with.

Going with a 3-way and push-pull you'll be getting more options, but not all of them will be hum-cancelling.

If you want more flexibility, you could try my layout, which is a 3-way switch with push-pull pots on both volume and tone, which individually switch the neck and bridge pickups from series to parallel mode. That gives me 8 tonal options, all of which are hum cancelling, all of which sound *amazing*. At least they do with the '59 and JB, which sound fantastic in parallel mode. Dunno what the AN/TZ sound like in parallel.

Humbuckers in parallel mode sound a bit more open and breathy, with a hint of glassiness on top. It's not a totally bright single-coil sound, but it's close. I find the parallel-wired '59 sounds quite Stratty, and the parallel-wired JB has a bit more Tele-like spank to it.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 PM

Darren- the AN isn't too bad in parallel, definately more single-coil esq than humbucker-esq, but it doesn't have quite the same attack. And while my strat how has lace sensors in it, it used to have stock fender Am. Std. pickups, so i'm used to 60-cycle hum- I don't love it, but it's a fair trade for the attatck and clarity, IMO.

That, and there's somethingjust magical about the sweep of the volume control on my 7620. I don't get it, it sounds and feels SO much better than theone on my 2027 did to my ears... So i'm not chancing anything there.

Thanks for the offer, though. It's an appealing idea, and i've heard single coils wired in paralell with full humbuckers before- that's a GREAT tone, crisp yet full. Maybe one day.

-Drew
Old 03-22-2003, 01:54 AM

They just need to put in a Tele 3-way blade switch - it'll fit in just like the 5-way, but will simplify as you require.
Then the push-pull tone pot will split the coils - and it /will/ be hum-cancelling when they're both on, provided the opposite coils are on at the same time.
There's also a way to have it so the 3-way automatically splits the coils on 2 humbuckers if you don't think you'd ever use the 'two-humbuckers on at once' sound...
Old 03-22-2003, 12:14 PM

Steve- ok, thanks man, i know they have those in stock, and i was hoping it'd be something nice and simple like that.

And are you kidding? the two humbucker tone on a JS ROCKS!

-Drew
Old 03-22-2003, 08:27 PM

Duly noted, re; 2-'buckers on at once on a JS.
I'll have to try that sound out. I don't find any use for it myself on my guitars, but none of them are JSs.
=]

If you need any help/hints on doing that wiring, let us know.

Tags
bridge pickup, bridge pickups, coil tap, dimarzio pickup, dimarzio pickups, high pass filter, lace sensor, lace sensors, pull tone, pull tone pot, wiring diagram

Show/Hide Posting Rules