<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Chat Forum

Chat Forum Use this forum for "chatroom" like discussion. This forum will have one or two open topics that will be pruned every few days. Post counts don't incriment in here.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 PM

Re: Hip Hop? No, I say!!!

I went through a hip hop phase back in 97 & 98 a good friend really got me into it more and just helped me with who to check out. Also I was huge into electronic music back in 96 - 98
which some electronic music does have its roots from hip hop. Actually were it all began for me was when I bought Dee-Lite's Dew Drops in the garden. It helped me appreciate Hip Hop and opened the door to electronic music cause they were a hybrid of both. Hip hop is not for everyone as long you have an appreciation for it thats good enough.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM
(a)

In this family we have access to over 4,000 albums of various styles of music. I have everything you can think of, and I still cringe when my 9 year old daughter starts talking about "soulja boy".

I love old Public Enemy, Run DMC, and even old NWA was ground breaking, but most of the stuff that is called "hip hop" today is just thrown together garbage.

The current state of hip hop reminds me of the late '80s/early '90s when metal was dying. Very few talented acts in a sea of crap.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
(a)

Personally, I look at hip hop the same way I look at rock or instrumental guitar or any other art form, if it is done well I like it. Plain and simple. I can appreciate art of virtually any form that is done well, creative, etc...

How can you not like this tune? I love it to pieces...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If0lrwEzdBY
Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos731 View Post
I guess you do have all those chavs to worry about over there, don't you...

It's unbearable!!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM

I'll be the first to admit (for some ridiculous reason...I must be terribly self-confident) that I have a soft-spot for Kelis' "Milkshake" (the song, not her actual milkshake...though that's not bad, either).

Something about that beat, man...BOMchunkaBOMchunkaBOMchunkaBOM

So, yeah, there's always an exception. Even folks who hate Zeppelin still dig Stairway, ya know?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post

It's unbearable!!!!!
It's like...jeez...we get it...you like hip hop and wearing fake Burberry...now move along.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
In this family we have access to over 4,000 albums of various styles of music. I have everything you can think of, and I still cringe when my 9 year old daughter starts talking about "soulja boy".

I love old Public Enemy, Run DMC, and even old NWA was ground breaking, but most of the stuff that is called "hip hop" today is just thrown together garbage.

The current state of hip hop reminds me of the late '80s/early '90s when metal was dying. Very few talented acts in a sea of crap.
I love the old school hip hop. Eric B and Rakim & A Tribe Called Quest The hip hop music of today is not that great it sounds like no one knows what to do anymore.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 PM

I was arguing with one of my lady friends about how it's all about sex, drugs, and shooting. So, finally I asked her to change the station to a hippity hop station and what do ya know?

Some dude talking about geddin da B****** and snortin da coke and something about "Dey hatin" sure enough after that line he said something about taking care of the haters.

Victory!!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:21 PM
(a)

A buddy of mine was hip hop crazy in the early 90's and he listened to a lot of Run DMC, Cypress Hill, Tupac... I didn't hate hip hop back then but neither did I like it. What I get a glimpse of these days on the road, in cars, on buses, etc. is REPULSIVE. I'm with Ayrton though, rock and metal have gone down the same road.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
Personally, I look at hip hop the same way I look at rock or instrumental guitar or any other art form, if it is done well I like it. Plain and simple. I can appreciate art of virtually any form that is done well, creative, etc...
+1

To me originality goes a long way in all forms of expression. If you're exposed to something considered original and interesting one day and it's hammered to death by others just following in your wake for years later...anyone would find it repulsive.

I love all forms of music, I just don't like all of their so called "artists".
Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 PM

I used to really hate it. Like, hate it.

But now I realize that it's just club dance music. That's all it is. People like it for the beat. In the 70's the dance music was funk and disco. In the 80's it was electronic. In the 90's it was rap, and still is. Ten years from now, it might be something else. There are plenty of people who don't know what the lyrics are and don't care. They just want to "bust a move."

I still don't like it. But I appreciate it for what it is.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 PM

Reviews: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post

How can you not like this tune? I love it to pieces...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If0lrwEzdBY
My girl played Estelle's CD a lot in the car and you could tell that single would be all over the radio, which it is. If I could be the cat that put together all the music in the background I'd be very happy.
I also like Ice Cube, Ice T, Run DMC, Public Enemy, and... can't no one do it like MCA, AdRoc, and Mike D; the Beastie Boys! Try getting "The Mix Up". They actually had the cohones to put out an instrumental CD and it was the $hit!

Though, I feel compelled to say I've been wearing out Iron Maiden's catalog lately.

Nothing wrong with having broad interests. Nothing wrong with liking what you like and nothing else either. Everyone's different. I'd encourage variety, though. You'll never know what you're missing out on!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 PM

i like all the old school such as
N.W.A, eazy-e, mc ren, run dmc, ice cube, cypress hill.
all the stuff from the late 80s to the 90s i can listen too
but all the new stuff today is absouletly terrible the same line over and over again its not even music
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmm61 View Post
i like all the old school such as
N.W.A, eazy-e, mc ren, run dmc, ice cube, cypress hill.
all the stuff from the late 80s to the 90s i can listen too
but all the new stuff today is absouletly terrible the same line over and over again its not even music
Yeah, I suppose it only stands to reason that after the great rock bands of the seventies like Zep, Floyd, Queen, etc... rock fans said the same thing about 80s metal.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 AM
(a)

Reviews: 65

I have nothing against hip-hop. At least nothing usable, but I wish I had.

Hip-hop is not the problem, but the cultural influence it has on some kids (those "get rich or die trying" gangster crap) is really bad. Many kids think that criminals are cool now and that authority figures are all bad.

Very sad things happen because of it...

Tags
andy summers, limp bizkit, mike stern

Show/Hide Posting Rules