NHL '16-'17 BS Thread - Jemsite
Chat Forum Use this forum for "chatroom" like discussion. This forum will have one or two open topics that will be pruned every few days. Post counts don't incriment in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

NHL '16-'17 BS Thread

And off we go......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:30 PM

Re: NHL '16-'17 BS Thread

Canucks 2k17
post #3 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

The Laffs got Frederik Andersen from the Ducks, and the Panthers got the rights to Yandle from the Rags
post #4 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Reviews: 10

Draft day this Friday - should be interesting =) Leafs will take Austin fer sure...they will win the cup next year Canucks pick 5th
post #5 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

They have a much better chance of missing the playoffs entirely than they do of winning the Cup
post #6 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:36 PM

Reviews: 21
I'm excited about the Yandle deal. And the wife got me a T-shirt with the new Panthers logo on it for Father's Day.
Now if we could only poach Stamkos. Ha! Just kidding. I still think he'll somehow stay put in Tampa Bay. But I could be wrong. I was all about wrong on my playoff brackets...
I'm also interested in seeing how the Kings handle cap space. Vinny retired today. Great guy and great player. I hope Brown and Carter stay and that the cuts aren't deep. Kopitar getting the "C" makes sense and shows commitment to him.
I'm wondering if Marc Andre Fleury will end up in Calgary.
The Leafs will still suck next year.
Looking forward to Bruce Bordeaux in Minnesota.
I'm hoping the Caps can remain good next year too.
I'm hoping the Rangers dump Nash too. They need some changes on that team. Hank ain't gonna be all that permanently.
I'm also hoping Tampa Bay stays strong too.
Lastly any idea what the new Vegas team is going to be called? I hate there being an odd number of teams in the league. They should have given one to Quebec City or Seattle too.
post #7 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Everything I hear about the Vegas team is that they will be called the Black Knights. And the Panthers didn't get Yandle, they got exclusive rights to talk to him/sign him before he's UFA on July 1st.
And I couldn't agree more on Quebec, but the NHL owners are demanding a 500MIL payment up front on day 1 to join the club. Quebec has everything but that I believe.
Honestly I don't think Stamkos is going to stay in Florida, I think he's going to go home to Toronto and take the beating that Kessel took for a few years. The Bolts got 1 game from the Cup final without him, so I don't see why they would overpay him, as good as he is. The Laffs crap money, so that's not an issue for them.
I don't think anyone ever stepped up and took over the CapGeek website after the founder died a year or so ago, but if the Laffs have space they'll offer to the absolute limit.
post #8 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:41 AM

The Panthers signed Yandle today. Seven years at $44.5 million.
I like our new owner. Viola seems like he would be a tough customer in business but it looks like he likes winning more than catchy marketing BS. At least he's trying. That big fat tax break Broward county gave them helps too. Those people saying the Cats should move to Quebec City should find another team to pick on.
I do think someone will be relocating in the next two years though. Maybe Carolina.
Also it might be cool to see Dustin Brown reunited with Willie Mitchell in Florida, though Brown looks recently to be a bit of a risk.
Black Knights. Sounds pretty cool.
post #9 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Someone has to relocate (to Canada) to allow the final new team and larger franchise fee. Carolina or Phoenix/AZ if not both. What exactly is happening in AZ?

Haven't been following FL at all, they are locked in (can't move)? What kind of attendance are they getting?

Seattle needs a team. Solves the too few teams in West imbalance.
post #10 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Congrats on Yandle, for some reason I though he was a lot older, like 36 or something.

You can always stick a team in the West, for the right amount of money. Move Columbus west and give Quebec a team would be my choice. Seattle has 3 other pro teams already, Quebec just needs the one, same as Vegas. And I think Vegas' team will do fine, they've got 1.9 MIL permanent residents, 14 thousand down payments on season tickets ($150-$900 depending on seat options, etc.) and no pro franchises yet.
Quebec got screwed hard by the tanking dollar, they would have had to fork over $750Mil Canadian. Just in case everyone wasn't aware all NHL contracts in North America are paid in US funds, not Canadian. The Habs pay Subban in US dollars.
post #11 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Congrats on Yandle, for some reason I though he was a lot older, like 36 or something.

You can always stick a team in the West, for the right amount of money. Move Columbus west and give Quebec a team would be my choice. Seattle has 3 other pro teams already, Quebec just needs the one, same as Vegas. And I think Vegas' team will do fine, they've got 1.9 MIL permanent residents, 14 thousand down payments on season tickets ($150-$900 depending on seat options, etc.) and no pro franchises yet.
Quebec got screwed hard by the tanking dollar, they would have had to fork over $750Mil Canadian. Just in case everyone wasn't aware all NHL contracts in North America are paid in US funds, not Canadian. The Habs pay Subban in US dollars.
post #12 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
This is why I'm skeptical on Stamkos moving to a Canadian team. And not to be political but he would personally see higher taxes living in Canada too, no? Canada in general I think is getting bit hard by cheap oil. But then, as you say, the Leafs have money coming out of their orifice.
Bettman just quashed rumors of Carolina moving.... for now. :P
I'd love to see Seattle get a team.
I think you could also move Detroit back to the West (into the Central of course) and have Quebec come in as an Atlantic Division team to balance it out; keeping the Atlantic a proper "snowbird" division. hehe!
I think Detroit moved to make travel costs easier too, no, and to be friendlier to their TV market right?
post #13 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post

Haven't been following FL at all, they are locked in (can't move)? What kind of attendance are they getting?
Attendance is much better of late. And I think if Broward county had told them no on the tax break we'd already be hearing about the Panthers relocating. I know it's heresay but my gut tells me that threat was more real than was let on publicly.
post #14 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

post #15 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

There's simply NO WAY Detroit goes back to the West, no way. They lobbied hard to come East and they are O6 so they have more pull than a lot of teams in the center of the continent. Shorter flights equals more wins (theoretically, anyway).

Tags
baseball < knitting , nhl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode