<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Chat Forum

Chat Forum Use this forum for "chatroom" like discussion. This forum will have one or two open topics that will be pruned every few days. Post counts don't incriment in here.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Reviews: 4

Re: Your guitar/bass name?

This video is interesting. Gives me some ideas. I want to put names on a few of my axes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCTsAOWW7yg
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Left to right, then front.
Steve, Baloo, Jörmungandr, Nessie, Tarja, AntiChrist

On my NGD for Jörmungandr a member mentioned he looked like he was carved from stone, after some searching I found that he looks just like the stone Serpentine, so I named him Jörmungandr the serpent son of Loki.

AntiChrist has the 5th pentacle of Mars beneath his bridge, it gives me power to command demons.

Sorry for the crappy pic.

Last edited by Saxopwn; 11-09-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 PM

I call my black RG350EXZ "kurochan," it just kinda stuck with me after the strap on the bag that it came with broke and I had to take it in for repair (just to pull the bridge out of the body). I baby that thing like no ones business now, after that happened. I put evo pups in it just to say sorry lol
Old 11-25-2013, 03:05 PM

[/quote]

Out of interest the guitar 'Tarja' far right, what is it? & what colour is that called?

Thanks in advance.

RG BARGIE
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM

I named my 2550 "Strato" recently. In terms of sound, with my Shun Nokina distortion pedal, I was able to get a really nice Timo Tolkki-era Stratovarius sound so I that's why I named it that.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG BARGIE View Post
Out of interest the guitar 'Tarja' far right, what is it? & what colour is that called?

Thanks in advance.

RG BARGIE[/quote]

It looks to be a 570 purple neon. I have a 560 purple neon so I have the same color (just SSH instead of HSH)
Old 11-28-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post

Thanks in advance.

RG BARGIE
It looks to be a 570 purple neon. I have a 560 purple neon so I have the same color (just SSH instead of HSH)[/quote]

Thanks, got to I really like the colour. There is a guitar I have been thinking about buying which is the colour but the headstock is black, take your 560 has matching headstock?

Also to keep thread on topic.....

My Jackson - only one that seams to have been given a name is Judge Shredd

RG BARGIE
Old 11-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG BARGIE View Post
Thanks, got to I really like the colour. There is a guitar I have been thinking about buying which is the colour but the headstock is black, take your 560 has matching headstock?

Also to keep thread on topic.....

My Jackson - only one that seams to have been given a name is Judge Shredd

RG BARGIE
Yeah mine has the matching headstock. I heard Hoshino did quite a few guitars with non-matching headstocks back then so it's not really a bad thing, but matching headstocks are so much nicer
Old 11-28-2013, 12:12 PM

I never thought about it. I guess my O.C.D. will have me thinking about this all day while I'm eating stuffing.......
I just call my Phantom Blue RG1550 'The bleeeew one', and my Coral Myst RG550 'the old one'.
Those count as names? Right?
I just have to capitalize them.
'The Bleeeew One'
'The Old One'
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Reviews: 1

I name mine as the names pop up, they kinda have to fit with the guitars "personality"
So
My Les Paul = Annie
My home made guitar with Jackson neck that's been with me through a LOT = The Dancing Queen (this guitar has a lot of "stories" including how the name came about but I will save those for another post)
My Strat = Maria
My Charvel = Poison Ivy
Tele = Chevy
My Ibanez I just got her so I haven't come up with anything yet, same goes for all my other guitars, eventually they will all have a name
I know I'm a weirdo
Old 11-28-2013, 01:11 PM
63Blazer  is online

I have had around 60 guitars over the last four decades but I only named one, called the "Black monster". I don't know if I storylined it here nor not:

I wanted to build a superstrat in the 1980s and I lived in Santa Barbara near a small store. I had been living in London so the sun and waves, and girls, were a dream come true. So Cal was the capital of garrish, loud, and fast superstrat players with the absolute epicenter in Hollywood to the south.

1) I got an ESP parts black body and maple neck and white Seymour Duncan JB lead pickup. I put on chrome tuners and a chrome Fender style trem. I outfitted it with black Bill DeLap pickguard and a single volume and single tone. That was my main guitar like that for a few months and the first incarnation.

2) and then I put a black Washburn Wonderbar trem on it and a black Jackson neck pickup to make the whole thing dual humbucker. Bill DeLap in Northern California cut a new white pickguard. The constant overuse of the locking trem caused the frets to come loose and wreck the neck making a refret of a $100 dollar neck a waste of money.

3) After that I tired of the wang bar and replaced the Washburn locking trem with a black Kahler Flat Mount Bridge and black Floyd Rose nut. It was the third bridge on that guitar and the third incarnation.

4) After a year or two I got a nice Johnson Guitar Engineering Jackson style neck on it with a thin and flat RG type of profile and rosewood neck. During the finished product and setup, the neck produced a crack where the truss rod was and I replaced that with a fatter maple neck with ebony fretboard that was also from Johnson Engineering. This was the final makeup of this ever changing guitar with three bridges and three necks and I dubbed it the "Black Monster" since like Frankenstein's monster and Eddie Van Halen's red monster, this guitar was always having its guts and outer parts replaced.

Even though I was out to make something completely different, the final product was not too different than a black Fender Big Apple strat with two humbuckers and three way switch. I must have put in two grand into the guitar with all the changes but what I got wasn't a guitar worth that much, but an education in setup and different bridges, necks, and pickups.

From this lesson I learned that I liked the action and playability of the ultra thin neck (the one that broke) the best, followed by the fat ebony neck, and then the medium Fender style neck.

I liked the sustain best of the regular Fender style bridge but had more fun with the double locking Washburn Wonderbar. The consistent bridge was the Kahler Flat Mount and took better to palm muting than a floating Fender trem or a double locking Washburn trem.

The Duncan JB was a worthy pickup versatile enough to play anything. The Jackson neck pickup, which was actually a high output bridge pickup, was too strong for the guitar but could wail on a neck position lead if needed. It was a little too boomy compared to the well balanced JB in the bridge. Hindsight tells me I should have put a high output single coil in the neck matched to a JB in the bridge.

The "Black Monster" pretty much gave me a baseline for what I expect in any superstrat. For the time, there weren't as many high octane superstrats on the market, but today with all the trial and error, virtually any superstrat from th 2010s will blow away this 1980s creation. Though it was an expensive set of experiments and maybe not the best planned guitar in the few projects I have done, I named it and attached a sentiment to it that no other guitar. In its final incarnation I used it for a punk band, the second time I played live in a band, and married the girl drummer. The guitar outlasted the marriage and a few years later I sold the guitar to my guitar student who always loved it. When he sold it to a vintage and used store along with other gear, the owner of that store took that one home. It's the last I have ever heard of the Black Monster. That was the early 1990s and I have often thought of ringing him and seeing what happened to that guitar.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-28-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I have had around 60 guitars over the last four decades but I only named one, called the "Black monster". I don't know if I storylined it here nor not:

I wanted to build a superstrat in the 1980s and I lived in Santa Barbara near a small store. I had been living in London so the sun and waves, and girls, were a dream come true. So Cal was the capital of garrish, loud, and fast superstrat players with the absolute epicenter in Hollywood to the south.

Fancy Music?
Good choice on the pickup, you do realize that in Santa Barbara it is illegal to use pickups other than Seymour Duncans?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM
63Blazer  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMechanic View Post
Fancy Music?
Good choice on the pickup, you do realize that in Santa Barbara it is illegal to use pickups other than Seymour Duncans?
While I bought a lot of stuff at Fancy music, it was Cowboy Star Guitars not too far away down State Street near the beach in that sketchy part of town.

Seymour Duncan would stop in and so would Jeff Beck. We talked about London and the scene way back when. I think Joe Walsh would come into Fancy Music.

It was all about Seymours if you were in or near Santa Barbara and I got factory seconds for $25 dollars so it was good way to experiment. I liked it so much I kept it. When I moved to Santa Rosa area in the north of California, it was all about EMG pickups and Alembic basses. Luckily, I liked both Seymour and EMG but these days I like them all.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
While I bought a lot of stuff at Fancy music, it was Cowboy Star Guitars not too far away down State Street near the beach in that sketchy part of town.

Seymour Duncan would stop in and so would Jeff Beck. We talked about London and the scene way back when. I think Joe Walsh would come into Fancy Music.

It was all about Seymours if you were in or near Santa Barbara and I got factory seconds for $25 dollars so it was good way to experiment. I liked it so much I kept it. When I moved to Santa Rosa area in the north of California, it was all about EMG pickups and Alembic basses. Luckily, I liked both Seymour and EMG but these days I like them all.
That's funny "sketchy part of town" in SB LOL
Yeah Joe would come in Fancy I met him once cool guy.
Those were the days huh?
Old 11-28-2013, 03:48 PM
63Blazer  is online

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMechanic View Post
That's funny "sketchy part of town" in SB LOL
Yeah Joe would come in Fancy I met him once cool guy.
Those were the days huh?
I miss the 1980s. It was the only era I lived in Southern California but I have fond memories. Eddie Van Halen really opened up the shred guitar thing to the region and the world. While nobody wanted to mention anything about the '80s in so-cal for at least 15 years after their heyday, I always had a great time.

Isla Vista, near Santa Barbara, was such a fun place too. I also saw the Bangles at the main movie theater in town...great times. I think what was nice is that the area was far enough from the all out crime of Hollywood/LA proper yet still had a sunny day, party atmosphere. Oddly, I lived near the city college which was one of the undesirable areas but I still had a blast.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 11-28-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Tags
bass, guitar, names

Show/Hide Posting Rules