Ibanez JEM Forum banner

DAVE. what is your typical practice routine?

Tags
steve vai
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BultjeMad 
#1 ·
Dave
I appologise in advance but as an aspiring musician on a mission I would much rather pick your brain than kiss your ass. Having read your explanation on the meaning of "Shove Over the Sun" I thought you would appreciate my sincerity. Nevertheless, I am still going to buy your CD. :wink:
NOW
Can you give us some insight on your practice routine when you are not on tour as opposed to practicing while touring.
What kind of things do you work on?
Do you try to improve your overall technique?
How do you break it down in terms of time and priority?
What was the most valuable thing you learned as a player while attending GIT?
What is the most valuable thing you have learned so far from Steve Vai?

Thanks

Good Luck

ADV Jr

#2 ·
Hey ADV JR.

Well this may surprise you.. or not.. but I don't practice much anymore. Not because I don't think I need to, but because of a lack of time.

I probably should keep up with the basic technique/hand exercises but I don't. What I AM working on right now is getting my cd back under my fingers and up to speed since I plan on doing some shows.

However, like anything, practice makes perfect. I used to practice alot. I'd work on technique, theory, ear training (most important), scales, chords, improvising including different genres and stylistic techniques (VERY important). When you add all that together, you start to create your own sound. then I started to record myself and figure out what kind of music I wanted to make. Most of the ideas come from my head first, then on the guitar. Noodling on the guitar is fine, but usually your first instincts as to how a song should go are the best.

A few pointers that I have found useful though:
Don't worry about playing/sounding like any other players. Originality is the most important aspect.

Focus your practicing on what you think is important. For some reason guitarist often equate speed with how good you are. Who cares if you can play 64th notes at 210? Can you write a good song that won't bore peopl eafter 5 seconds?

These thoughts are a culmination of all the things I've learned at GIT and from Vai and from my own experiences.

Good luck!

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.