Please Listen - Jemsite
Dave Weiner Official Forum Archive (SEE NEW LOCATION) This forum area is now closed. Go to Dave's new dedicated forum on daveweiner.com.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Please Listen

ok, so i've been trying to put the word out to everyone who thinks that hip hop is that crap you hear on the radio....it's not! i wanna show you guys the real stuff. i hope that you will all please be open to what i'm trying to show you all...it's great music, once you find the real stuff.

i got two tracks i wanna show you guys...one is The Message, from Grand Master Flash (80's) and the other one is American Way, from Nas (2004)

Please listen to the words, and see that it's real. it isn't that fake stuff you hear on the radio...

it's the first two tracks on this page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/joetorresmusic.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Re: Please Listen

Well... it's something you have to like. And I don't. Bad luck!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Val

I personally like a lot of Hip Hop. Some of the catchiest hooks I've ever heard.

Its so typical of a guitarist to hate any music that doesnt have a guitar.

Real musicians can appreciate the music form of other genre's.. Just so happens guitars my primary instrument :P

Not a fan of Nas though lol, been checking out The Game's mixtape lately 'Who Got Game?' and its absoloutely awesome.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 04:42 PM

Well, I'm into some rap, but I prefer the older rappers of the mid 80s to early 90s Def Jam era. It's just a generation thing, I guess. Most of the stuff today is so "cookie cutter" that I can't get into it.

I do find it funny that someone is trying to get visitors of Jemsite into rap though. I mean honestly, what types of reactions were you expecting?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 05:28 PM

Im not into rap or hip hop, of any type that ive heard before. And its not because im a musician, I just dont like it. Im very open minded, it just so happens that im not into the stereotypical music that all guitarist are suppose to hate.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 06:39 PM

The only real rap artists that influenced me in a way was ONYX. Ever since the beginning 'til now. They are ridiculously slick and grimy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 07:44 PM

I dig some rap, I like Jungle Brothers for example...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 PM

Hip Hop Jazz is pretty intense...some of Uberjam comes to mind
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Well, I'm into some rap, but I prefer the older rappers of the mid 80s to early 90s Def Jam era. It's just a generation thing, I guess. Most of the stuff today is so "cookie cutter" that I can't get into it.

I do find it funny that someone is trying to get visitors of Jemsite into rap though. I mean honestly, what types of reactions were you expecting?
i'm just trying to open some ppl's minds...hey, who knows, maybe someone that has never really listened to hip hop might like it.

it's great music, when you find the real hip hop. it talks about real life.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 04:37 PM

Just wondering why this is posted on the Dave Weiner forum???
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 PM

I was wonderin' the same exact thing.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:34 PM

Hehe, bizzare this post is ...

I have a friend who is very much into his hip-hop, personally i'm not taken by it - especially all these nutters with egos that outweigh thier talent 1000:1. However some of the more relaxed hip hop is okay or is that trip hop? :P

Last edited by Blair; 05-16-2005 at 10:52 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 AM

I'm not usually a hip hop man either but recently I've really gotten into Michael Franti and Spearhead. Anyone else heard of 'em? I guess I like it because it's hip hop with a meaning rather than the constant 'bling' thing which I find utterly repulsive.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Just wondering why this is posted on the Dave Weiner forum???
because i'm a guitarist (vai/dave fan) with a great interest in hip hop (and other types of music) and i'm trying to get the word out to more ppl that hip hop isn't the **** they think it is.

i know a lot of guitarists are very very close minded...i'm trying to open their minds. ya dig?

maybe they'll like it, and they'll discover something knew. it will make them less closed minded, and it might even make them a better musician/person. that's my goal here.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm kinda into everything depending on my mood or situation.

I mean instrumental and guitar-focused music is probably my all time favourite genre but if I listen to it too much I'm likely to get tired of it. So I don't listen to it that often lol.

When I'm in clubs I like the cheesy-80's tunes like "Wake me up before you go-go", "You Spin Me Right Round" by Dead Or Alive and ofcourse "Why do you build my up buttercup"...

I also listen to rap, Ludacris being one of my favourite artists ever just because he encorporates such comical phrases that appeal to me into his music and he has the whackiest back-beats of anyone I've ever heard lol.

Delfino

Tags
dave weiner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode