<back   Jemsite > Jemsite.com Start Here > News

News Certain topics will be moved here in order to display on the frontpage of jemsite.com. You can post followup replies here, but you can't start new theads.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:14 PM
(a)

Re: Sony Music CDs w/ DRM infects your PC w/ spyware/malware!

Hey, well ist seems Sony in now going to stop

Artical:
Sony to Stop Controversial CD Software
http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8DQELK0E.html

And on their web site how to remove it.
http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/
Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Well, now we've got Trojan's built on Sony's rootkit. Way to go Sony

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895...05dtx1k0000599
I've figured this out long ago, and it also does a lot more damage than just that. An email I sent out got that looked into by a lot more people though
Old 11-12-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0p
Just stop using Windows, and all of the DRM problems, as well as security problems will fade away. Slackware Linux for the win.
No way, once it becomes worthwhile to develop linux viruses (which, by the way can be far more problematic) then we wont have that option anymore!

I saw find who creates this **** and put them in a cell with Bubba for 40 years.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM

Unix/Linux/BSD viruses are far more difficult to develop, mainly because of the tight security. Unless the user uses a root-priveleged account (which by the way, actually happens, there are some very stupid users out there), there isn't much system damage to be done. Sure the virus could exploit applications to gain root priveleges, many apps have security holes of this nature, but the Linux kernel itself, and most "stable" Unix-like kernels have a large number of bugkillers to report these, and all of the major Unix/Linux/BSD vendors and distributions release security patches/fixes on a daily basis. And although there are far more security holes in Unix/Linux/BSD than Windows, most of them are much less severe than holes in Windows, and unlike Windows, patches for them actually get RELEASED, usually within a day or two of the bug being discovered, unlike Microsoft who leave their users vunerable for a long while before releasing their patch. Even if people do move to Unix-like platforms, and viruses for them become common, there will be fixes released alot quicker. As well as the fact that Unix platforms are much much more secure than Windows platforms to begin with.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Microsoft stepped in and said they'll remove Sony's rootkit. Not sure if you've all heard already.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 2

STop stealing music then. You do not own the music its COPYRIGHTED!
Stop "sharing files" Tell your friends to or who ever to get a job and buy the CD. If you want to make your own personal cd playlists from the cd's thats cool,but that is not whats happening and eveyone knows it.

They will control this eventually. They own the politicians. They will keep on searching ways to control your behavior. Get some integrity and stop stealing. If you like an artist then buy the cd. Go see them live,but dont steal there work. They dont have a right to control your computer either,but they do have a right to protect what is theres. THE MUSIC. I hear crap like , "well I bought it its mine" You never bought the copyright. You dont have a right to do anything with the music on the cd whether its copy it without permission or sell it or give it away. The copyright owner owns it. People, just stop stealing the music.Buy it .Its a simple solution.

I also see a bit of "you reap what you sow" here, which is funny to me. The labels have been stealing royalties from artists for years and now they are reaping the same thing. Please support what you claim to love (music)
Start buying the stuff you enjoy . Thats all im saying here.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
(a)

F SOny hard and unlovingly. Has anyone read the EULA that comes with their audio cds now? here's some excerpts.

1) If your house gets burgled, you have to delete all your music from your laptop when you get home.

That's because the EULA says that your rights to any copies terminate as soon as you no longer possess the original CD.

2)You can't keep your music on any computers at work.

The EULA only gives you the right to put copies on a "personal home computer system owned by you."

3)If you move out of the country, you have to delete all your music.

The EULA specifically forbids "export" outside the country where you reside.

4)You must install any and all updates, or else lose the music on your computer.

The EULA immediately terminates if you fail to install any update. No more holding out on those hobble-ware downgrades masquerading as updates.

5)Sony-BMG can install and use backdoors in the copy protection software or media player to "enforce their rights" against you, at any time, without notice. And Sony-BMG disclaims any liability if this "self help" crashes your computer, exposes you to security risks, or any other harm.

6)The EULA says Sony-BMG will never be liable to you for more than $5.00.

That's right, no matter what happens, you can't even get back what you paid for the CD.

7)If you file for bankruptcy, you have to delete all the music on your computer.

8 )You have no right to transfer the music on your computer, even along with the original CD.

Forget about using the music as a soundtrack for your latest family photo slideshow, or mash-ups, or sampling. The EULA forbids changing, altering, or make derivative works from the music on your computer.

As far as supporting Sony, and "you reap what you sew" are you saying you would also support my right to break into your house if I think you stole my guitar so I could get it back, and in doing so I can leave your house open to anyone else who walks by?
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

LOL it gets worse...

Sony/BMG Rookit Itself Infringes Copyright
Uses portions of open source app without adhering to license

Sony/BMG's rootkit DRM fiasco is the story that just keeps giving: Now Techdirt points out that the copy protection at the root of a two week controversy contains chunks of the open source mp3-encoder LAME. The LAME software is licensed under the Lesser Gnu Public License (LGPL), portions of which Sony/BMG didn't comply with. The gist? The company's copyright protection system itself infringes copyrights. Users also write in with links that Microsoft Anti-Spyware now detects the DRM.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/69479
Old 11-16-2005, 12:30 AM
(a)

From Slashdot

Not only is Sony no longer selling the RootKit CDs, Arend writes "According to a USAToday article, Sony is to pull their controversial rootkit CDs from store shelves." A nice gesture, but a little late. bos writes "Sony's DRM rootkit has been found by Dan Kaminsky to have infected at least half a million networks, according to an article by Quinn Norton for Wired News. Dan has even put together some pretty pictures of the breadth of the infection." With so many people infected, it's unfortunate that wiredog writes "From The Washington Post comes the news that serious security flaws have been found in the software that Sony is distributing to users who want to remove the Sony rootkit. The article says: 'Because of the way the tool is configured ... it allows any Web page that the user subsequently visits to download, install and run any code that it likes.'" Oops. Even Microsoft is getting into the act. ares284 writes "Microsoft said it would remove controversial copy-protection software that CDs from music publisher Sony BMG install on personal computers, deeming it a security risk to PCs running on Windows."
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
LOL it gets worse...

Sony/BMG Rookit Itself Infringes Copyright
Uses portions of open source app without adhering to license

Sony/BMG's rootkit DRM fiasco is the story that just keeps giving: Now Techdirt points out that the copy protection at the root of a two week controversy contains chunks of the open source mp3-encoder LAME. The LAME software is licensed under the Lesser Gnu Public License (LGPL), portions of which Sony/BMG didn't comply with. The gist? The company's copyright protection system itself infringes copyrights. Users also write in with links that Microsoft Anti-Spyware now detects the DRM.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/69479
Oh great now they are screwing with GNU, THANK YOU!!!

Regards

André
Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 AM

Wow... I don't even know where to begin with this one... Sony really has stooped to a new low level. It'd be a truly beautiful day if they'd start producing good albums/artists again instead of resorting to crap like this.

Anyway, wanted to make sure people are aware, the new G3: Live in Tokyo CD is one of the CD's that has this form of copy protection on it. I've bought a few new CD's over the past few weeks and was planning on putting them on my MP3 player this weekend, and probably would've popped the new G3 in my computer without noticing the disclaimer on the back/software being installed. So now I've put the G3 CD aside until Sony gets their exchange process up & running.

Not that anybody here would buy a G3 CD...

--B

Last edited by bduersch; 11-22-2005 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:30 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

ouch. any chance you can provide a pic with the warning?

most articles state the spyware was only on certain, major Sony releases... glen
Old 11-17-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
Wow... I don't even know where to begin with this one... Sony really has stooped to a new low level. It'd be a truly beautiful day if they'd start producing good albums/artists again instead of resorting to crap like this.

Anyway, wanted to make sure people are aware, the new G3: Live in Tokyo CD is one of the CD's that has this form of copy protection on it. I've bought a few new CD's over the past few weeks and was planning on putting them on my MP3 player this weekend, and probably would've popped the new G3 in my computer without noticing the disclaimer on the back/software being installed. So now I've put the G3 CD aside until Sony gets their exchange process up & running.

Not that anybody here would by a G3 CD...

--B
Guess I'm NOT picking up that CD for now.

Regards

André
Old 11-17-2005, 01:52 PM
(a)

Here's the full list from Sony: http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html
Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone
Here's the full list from Sony: http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html
Good now we know what NOT to buy .

Regards

André

Show/Hide Posting Rules