Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews

30K views 108 replies 63 participants last post by  uofkman 
#1 ·
www.stevevaimusic.com

Sony has created a special page where fans can check out short sneak previews of all tracks from Steve's new album "Real Illusions: Reflections".

Share your thoughts on the album previews here!

Mikey :)
vai.com

#52 ·
Love it,,, it's a great album. Not earth moving like I had hoped it would be. You know the sort of album that changes everything. Sort of like Passion and warfare did. New directions new sounds same great artist. It's all good. One song that sticks out for me is "Firewall". It sounds like it should be on fire garden cd or sex and religion. I really like the song, it just sort of stands out from the rest.

Everytime I listen to it I find something different that catches my ear. Which is cool.

~A

#53 ·
Allen Garrow said:
Everytime I listen to it I find something different that catches my ear. Which is cool.

~A
Yeah, I think I was a little hasty with "I don't think it's a contender to be my favorite Vai album, but I'm not at all disappointed I got it." That kinda sounds like I just think it's "ok". It's much better than "ok". I still don't think it's going to move into my all time favorite Vai album spot but I think it's going to spend some serious time in the "the more I listen the more I discover and like about it" spot.

#57 ·
I got one of the signed copies and its my 1st Vai autograph.
Aside from that, he does steal ideas from himself a bit, but I still like it. I need to spend a couple hours in the car with it to get more into the album and find the sweetspots. "Church" is definately one of them though for me.
It grabs ya by the poo-poo and keeps ya goin!

Bamm

#59 ·
badwamajama said:
Not that my opinion means anything
Means as much as anybody else's. Musical likes and dislikes are nothing but opinions. I happen to agree with your opinion, this album is good stuff and I hope I can work things out to get to the show in Fargo. It will mean missing a couple days at work and a 7 or so hour drive each way (plus the time spent at the border crossing) but I'm gonna do it if I can arrange it.

#62 ·
Firewall's my fav. song in that album. So much energy and that RAW RAW Vai guitar tone AND that awesome jazzy feel. The trumpets were cool as hell ;D

I don't mind his singing really. Honestly it's not that bad. If you heard him as just another singer and not Vai, I think you'd apprecaite it more.

Definately not a contender for best Vai album, but it's something new for sure. To me he has jus begun experimenting with these new ideas. For me it's not a usual Vai CD, it's different.

#64 ·
I got it yesterday...I have to say I was surprised in a couple of songs. Some neat stuff there...He did sing a bit too much for my tastes though. Firewall was very Fire Garden wich was nice, and Freak Show Exccess is really awsome :) Lotus Feet was good too, and Midway Creatures was cool. Under It all had a really epic feel about it. It would be nice to see Steve Performing that live, but I dunno how it'd be done with all the voices in it. The rest was you average Steve Vai stuff :) Overall a really nice CD, but I still like Alien Love Secrets the best...It's a CD I can listen to all songs repeatedely without skipping...

#66 ·
Every new CD is an oportunity to make another PAW. Im not expecting PAW, Im expecting something as inspired and with the amount of love and care that PAW had. PAW was groundbreaking, it was more than people could take at the time. It had everything. As good as Images and Words was when it was released, it pales against PAW.

Unfortunately, evey new CD I hear fails to do this.

If you play Firegarden from the 7 track to the 9 track, you get what Im expecting. Those 3 songs are on par with the best PAW has to offer. I guess its just asking too much.

Sex and Religion is very good record (I love the vocals for moments, but y just hate when thousend starts to scream like an insane bonoboo). Its completely different, but its very good. But it is among the most inspired work Steve made.

I thought this album would be closer to some of his best work, but it is not. Its not bad, but its just not as good or inspired as the work listed before.

#69 ·
Well, I got it today. From the moment I heard Building The Church I was impressed, and I think that one is my favorite off the CD. And yes, Firewall is just great. I think we all pretty much have the same opinion on this CD, holy crap, we're all agreeing on something! Who woulda guessed? But I'll also agree that this is one of Steve's most inspired CD's and is very close to his heart. I don't know...it may score but then again it may flop. It's one of those things that the public will determine. But...Church & Firewall are still awesome! Lol.

#75 ·
If you ask me, i LOVE this cd. I love how hes going for a different sound and actually based alot on another genre of music (bolgarian wedding music!). Every song stuns me. Even Yai Yai has this catchy melody to it which the "yai" effect (which usually seemed to me an unusable weird effect) and actually utilized it quite well. P'm kwee do (forgive me if im not good with the titles) Sounds pure heavenly and Track 2 sounds so sinister i cant help but LOVE it. Not to mention Freak Show which everyone seems to admire. Lotus Feet was also heavenly. I'v always liked songs that use exotic sounding scales or strange phrasing and alot of the content on this CD fulfills that. Of course Firewall is a pure "wall" of sound and energy which who cant love that and for his singing, just another great quality in vai that i admire and wish i had (cant sing for crap x.x).I'v never bought any of his other CD's but i'v heard most all his songs and the songs on this CD rank among my favorites.

#76 ·
just got the CD in preparation for the saturday concert in NYC.

Ugh.... Beavis & Butthead would be proud of the riffage/rhythms.

Sorry... maybe it's me, but i'm not digging it whatsoever. I think my musical listening will remain mostly in stuff recorded over a decade ago... glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.