<back   Jemsite > Jemsite.com Start Here > News

News Certain topics will be moved here in order to display on the frontpage of jemsite.com. You can post followup replies here, but you can't start new theads.

Old 02-13-2005, 03:43 PM

Re: Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews

It's your typical Vai album again. Some nice songs on there. Like Km pee du wee and Yai Yai....See if I can make ring tone out of that one. ;-)

But the songs where he tries to sing......not my cup of tea.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:36 PM

So I actually got my hands on a copy; It sounds pretty good, the Beast had it right though, Freak.. and Lotus... are ridicuously great pieces. Freak is a longer song but somewhere towards the end it has this wicked fast solo, just him on guitar, it goes on for some time, sounds like a lot of complex tapping patterns towards the end, really great.

Here's the thing though, There are 13 songs on the US release yet there are 11 songs on the UK release? I haven't investigated but anyone know what's going on? Oh and the songs on the UK version have different names than those found on the US version? hmmmm?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemmm
It's your typical Vai album again. Some nice songs on there. Like Km pee du wee and Yai Yai....See if I can make ring tone out of that one. ;-)

But the songs where he tries to sing......not my cup of tea.
I totally agree about the singing thing 'Jemmm'. He just shouldn't do it ! He sooo doesn't need to do it !
After all, if you're that great a guitarist people(most of them at least) really don't want valuable guitar playing space taken up by ,well,not even very good singing. I think it's the classic example of 'Shut-up And Play Your Guitar' !!!

JTM45 !
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGShredder
Here's the thing though, There are 13 songs on the US release yet there are 11 songs on the UK release? I haven't investigated but anyone know what's going on? Oh and the songs on the UK version have different names than those found on the US version? hmmmm?
Amazon have wrongly used the track listing from Mystery Tracks Archives 3.
There are 11 songs on the album and by the way I heard Yai Yai and it sounded very silly to me, so silly in fact I can't believe it made it into a Steve Vai CD.

ilia
Old 02-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Only heard the samples, but it didn't seem like anything new. km pee dm ... sounded so much like 'Die to live', FSE sounded like the attitude song.
I did like the cat sounding town on glorious tho. Still don't like his voice.

I don't know if these 'similarities' are part of his whole 'linking up a long connecting story', or whatever is happening, but I can't see myself buying this.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:01 PM

I've got it, it's good. I don't think it's a contender to be my favorite Vai album, but I'm not at all disappointed I got it. Finding a couple references to previous songs isn't a big deal, it's the same person writing and playing and could very well be intentional. Some bands have made very long, very successful careers out of 3 chords and a couple blues riffs... Steve's stuff is always a breath of fresh air even if you can dig out similarities to other songs on occasion.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:26 AM

Love it,,, it's a great album. Not earth moving like I had hoped it would be. You know the sort of album that changes everything. Sort of like Passion and warfare did. New directions new sounds same great artist. It's all good. One song that sticks out for me is "Firewall". It sounds like it should be on fire garden cd or sex and religion. I really like the song, it just sort of stands out from the rest.

Everytime I listen to it I find something different that catches my ear. Which is cool.

~A
Old 02-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Garrow
Everytime I listen to it I find something different that catches my ear. Which is cool.

~A
Yeah, I think I was a little hasty with "I don't think it's a contender to be my favorite Vai album, but I'm not at all disappointed I got it." That kinda sounds like I just think it's "ok". It's much better than "ok". I still don't think it's going to move into my all time favorite Vai album spot but I think it's going to spend some serious time in the "the more I listen the more I discover and like about it" spot.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Just picked it up last night! Freak Show is a definite show stopper!! I'm pretty excited about the whole album! I don't think that it'll replace Fire Garden as my personal favorite, but that would take a hell of a lot to do.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:56 AM

Why does he have to spoil things and open his mouth ???????????????
Old 02-23-2005, 05:49 AM

got mine a few hours ago and yeah, it's cool! really a new sounding Mr. Vai!! hehe.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 1

I got one of the signed copies and its my 1st Vai autograph.
Aside from that, he does steal ideas from himself a bit, but I still like it. I need to spend a couple hours in the car with it to get more into the album and find the sweetspots. "Church" is definately one of them though for me.
It grabs ya by the poo-poo and keeps ya goin!

Bamm
Old 02-23-2005, 08:48 PM

Not that my opinion means anything, but am giving it a second listen right now and I must say, I can't wait to hear some of this stuff live.

Will post more later............
Old 02-24-2005, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badwamajama
Not that my opinion means anything
Means as much as anybody else's. Musical likes and dislikes are nothing but opinions. I happen to agree with your opinion, this album is good stuff and I hope I can work things out to get to the show in Fargo. It will mean missing a couple days at work and a 7 or so hour drive each way (plus the time spent at the border crossing) but I'm gonna do it if I can arrange it.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:54 AM

you know that it is already available and i have already bought the album about a week ago!!

Tags
beautiful guitar, eric johnson, fire garden, guitar playing, jack butler, lotus feet, steve vai

Show/Hide Posting Rules