<back   Jemsite > Jemsite.com Start Here > News

News Certain topics will be moved here in order to display on the frontpage of jemsite.com. You can post followup replies here, but you can't start new theads.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:21 AM

Re: Steve Vai - "Real Illusions: Reflections" Previews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CeeDee
Hmmm,... I actually did..

BUT... It's music and it should be enjoyable as music. In my opinion, the storyline is not the primary factor. Therefore, if the music is not good, it might have been better to write a book and maybe include a CD with background music. ( groundbreaking idea )

I'm not commenting on how easy to play something is. I referred to the artistic factor of yai yai.

This album is at times not as "musical" as Vai has been in the past. I like the album, but in the way someone may like a linkin park album. It's heavy and it makes you tap your foot. While the ballads are what I call " fat and sugar ", everyone will like it, but it's "easy". Not to play (especially with that out of this world phrasing etc.), but to please.

Exceptions like "freak show excess" are great songs, but seem a bit forcefully weird. As if HAD to make a freak show excess and therefore created something less musical but freakish.

Still 100% better than most things on CD today.
My God Just say it..I will

I bought this Cd ,This is the first time I ever heard Vai,

I cried my eyes out..I was so happy,Buying the cd I was scared,but after the 4 th song..I said to myself ..this is a GOD..

UUMM NO..

I gave the cd to a friend without even giving the whole cd a chance..
It was one of the best days of my life..I was shaken even in line to buy it..

All I heard from the first 3 or 4 songs were studio effects and whammy bar..I was hopeing to hear the most beautiful guitar playing of any human on planet earth..

JoeyDahlia
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-CeeDee
It's music and it should be enjoyable as music.
Bingo, and this is something a lot of us lose sight of.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:23 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

no doubt if you need to consult with liner notes to enjoy a MUSIC album there is a major problem. ...glen
Old 07-13-2005, 11:30 AM

I've been listening to this for a week through beautifully tinny laptop speakers, and been mostly underwhelmed. Finally listened to it on decent headphones and my god what a brilliant album. I love it, it's the perfect fusion of "visionary" and "bonkers", kinda like Buckminster breakdancing or something.

I keep hearing gorgeous details in the mix that eluded me before, subtle at times, blatant upon further listening. Superb stuff. I love the fact that I can hear homages and reflections of all his previous albums on this CD, consciously played or otherwise. His tone, his phrasing, his note choice, all harmonising with the echoes of the past, and yet burning a trail into the future within an expressive, articulate, and highly compelling musical statement.

As ever, I ask myself..how does he do it?

Last edited by hamand; 07-15-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 PM

I want to make a special mention of the final track "Under it All" a breathtaking work, a staggering musical achievement. Rich, dense, complex and still utterly light and dynamic, one of my favourite Steve tracks ever. I urge everyone who hasn't heard the album yet...please listen, and experience sublime, honest, artistry. To live and die in this ocean of song, what care I?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamand
I want to make a special mention of the final track "Under it All" a breathtaking work, a staggering musical achievement. Rich, dense, complex and still utterly light and dynamic, one of my favourite Steve tracks ever. I urge everyone who hasn't heard the album yet...please listen, and experience sublime, honest, artistry. To live and die in this ocean of song, what care I?
Under it all is pretty cool track. Steve's vocals are quite good too .

Regards

André
Old 08-18-2005, 01:48 PM
(a)

i'm all for weirdness and artistry but i couldn't really get into ultrazone and i really couldn't get into this one. sure there are some good things but i just couldn't listen to it after half the album. i didn't want to buy it but i thought, well, i'll try once more. i still hold steve as one of my favs as i always have from day one but i just can't get into. either i'm losing it or it's just weirder...i don't know. i would rather listen to good metal with driving rhythms. the last awesome vai album for me was passion and warfare. that was really cool. i gave up on satch after "surfing." sure there are great songs by him but i would never buy an album. i wish there was like a Jack Butler type of player solo album...that would be really cool. i really respect steve's creativeness and talent and visions but i think i just got a little lost as the years went on.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 PM
(a)

It's a great great album with with quite a few numbers of weird stuff (which i like very much)
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydahlia

I cried my eyes out..I was so happy,Buying the cd I was scared,but after the 4 th song..I said to myself ..this is a GOD..

UUMM NO..

All I heard from the first 3 or 4 songs were studio effects and whammy bar..I was hopeing to hear the most beautiful guitar playing of any human on planet earth..

JoeyDahlia
Studio effects? Sure you weren't listening to your own recordings?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydahlia

UUMM NO..

JoeyDahlia
Studio effects, right...... Next you will claim that Eric Johnson doesn't know how to play.

Regards

André
Old 08-19-2005, 11:43 AM

I bought the album not too long ago (i'm a late buyer for it i guess - always said i would go out and buy it but never got round to it).

First time i listened to it all i could think was "TURN THAT F**KING SYNTH OFF". There are just points where i think there's no point for the synth to be there, but whatever. Vai did what he wanted.

The album has really grown on me. I quite like it. I definatly like it more then the first time i heard it. It didn't really impact on me much the first time i heard it. It's starting to now.

Saying that, Vai's vocals have improved no-end.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
I bought the album not too long ago (i'm a late buyer for it i guess - always said i would go out and buy it but never got round to it).

First time i listened to it all i could think was "TURN THAT F**KING SYNTH OFF". There are just points where i think there's no point for the synth to be there, but whatever. Vai did what he wanted.

The album has really grown on me. I quite like it. I definatly like it more then the first time i heard it. It didn't really impact on me much the first time i heard it. It's starting to now.

Saying that, Vai's vocals have improved no-end.
Yeap samething happen to me the first I listen to it I can't accept it but later It's very good I wass thinking In fact very very good
Old 08-20-2005, 02:03 PM

Have to say, Lotus Feet is the least fravorite of all his 7th songs for me
Old 08-21-2005, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Have to say, Lotus Feet is the least fravorite of all his 7th songs for me
Same here, not that the song is bad it just doesn't have that final spark as the other 7th songs of his.

Regards

André
Old 08-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Real Illusions - Reflections

I bought the CD, I saw the show.

The CD is good stuff. Yai-Yai, I could do without. But overall, it's a good product. My favorite tunes are Building the Church and Lotus Feet. In Lotus Feet, Steve proves once again, he's a soulful shredder. He never sounds like

Tags
beautiful guitar, eric johnson, fire garden, guitar playing, jack butler, lotus feet, steve vai

Show/Hide Posting Rules