Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Lost the tip of my finger..

Tags
finger injury
4K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  GUITARMAGEDDON 
#1 ·
...this week at work. I was moving some very heavy steel bars and my middle finger got caught between them and severed. I lost most everything to the first bone, the one closest to the tip. Luckily this is my picking hand and it should be okay. the Dr. cut a flap of skin on my palm, bent my finger to it and sewed it around to create a new tip. Once that heals, he will cut it away from the palm. I guess this is pretty common but I've never heard of it. basically looks like a bandaged hand giving the devil horns salute. Will take a few months to recover fully. I'm pretty lucky though. I could have lost more.:)

#6 ·
Thanks all, might have to cancel one gig for sure. We were all excited to start playing again. With college finals, our bass player having her baby and our drummer moving to new orleans , we have been eager to start gigging again. The first thing that i thought when i saw that bloody stump was,,,,,oh no! Is that my fretting hand?

#19 ·
thanks all,I go back to the dr. on Monday and the are going to cut my finger away from my palm and stitch it up and I'll be done. I will have some sensitivity lose in that finger so I'm wondering how that is going to go,, and just as I was getting back into some classical finger picking stuff!. My index finger is the only one i have use of until next week, the olny thing I've been able to play is index finger tapping stuff so I'm pretty good at the intro to Hot for Teacher. ;)

#23 ·
Monday I had my finger cut away from my palm where it had been sewn to a flap of skin to establish blood flow. So I have stitches in my palm where they took the skin from and the tip of my finger is stitched up. it looks a bit frankenstein-y now, but should be okay, but it is going to be a bit shorter than it was. The other thing is since my finger was bent down into my palm for 3 weeks, its very sore and swollen in the joints and will take some time to get the full range of motion again, Dr. said I just need to keep stretching it. I go back for follow up on Tuesday. I can play guitar but need to build that picking strength back up from not using that hand. Finger picking will be interesting since there is no feeling in the tip of that finger anymore.

#26 · (Edited)
exactly, Dr. wanted to establish blood flow between the finger and palm.after that, cut the finger free with a little extra skin from the palm and patch it up. Its still weird to look at but should bee healed completely in another month, range of motion isn't the best but I'm working on it, Irony is I started getting deep into finger picking a month or so before it happened. its gonna be strange at first trying it out with a finger that has no feeling in that area but I'm sure in time it will all work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.