Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Wound G

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Two hands31 
#1 ·
I hate the sound of a non-wound G. My guitar is RG 570 and I've blocked the trem. I use 0.10's. Is there wound G's for this gauge or is there a trick I could get one? I've used to play on a 0.11 set so bending would not be a problem with a 0.10 set with wound G. Though it was a problem when I tried a wound G in 0.11 set.

#2 ·
I actually really dislike wound G's. ;)

You are going to end up with a pretty heavy G string if you want wound. Probalby closer to a .012's set. :)

Just go to your local store that sells single strings and ask them for the lightest wound they sell.

It's probably goin to be a 24 or a 26, maaaaaybe a 22 if you're lucky. :)

#4 ·
D'addario makes wound 0.17 (same as the G on my regular set). I tried it on the G spot, but it was not suitable for me.
The tone was lot quiter than on a non wound 0.17 and it didn't bend as well as a non wound one.
I just have to stick to a regular set, although the G is not as "stabil" as other strings.
I also found that my strings make weird noise when I slide from 7th fret to 9th and when i pull off from 7th to 5th fret. Anyone else has this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.