Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Evo/Evo2 not working for me, not sure where to go...

Tags
evo evo2
3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  WillTubarao 
#1 ·
RG550 reissue (maple board), originally came to me with PAF-Pro/FS-1/PAF-Pro and the neck sounded good but the mid & bridge positions sounded thin and bland. Installed Evo/VV-54/Evo2 and it's definitely not what I expected. The neck Evo is real dark, not muddy, but real bass-heavy. The Evo2 is fairly balanced with a good crunch but not as "dynamic" as I was expecting. The VV-54 lacks that good old single coil sparkle and jangle. The odd thing is this guitar has great acoustic presence, bright and open, yet I can't the same results from it plugged in.

Thinking about going back to a PAF-Pro in the neck, an Area '61 in the middle, and I'm stuck at the bridge pickup. I was looking for a brighter tone with tons of harmonics. I play through an HD500 through the Uber and Recto models (and the Vox AC30 and JTM-45 models for cleans), mostly rhythm work. In the past I used a trusty Duncan Custom in the bridge of most of my guitars but I wanted to give Dimarzio a try for this RG.

Suggestions? Crunch Lab.... Evo.... Breed.... I can only imagine a TZ would be way too dark in this guitar.
(yes I did search, most people don't seem to have the problem that I do)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.