Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Best Ibanez for $500

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  D.M.RG7620 
#1 ·
OK, after my unfortunate experience with the damaged SZ520 which arrived this week, I am wondering where to go next. I really like the guitar, and don't use the trem anyway, so was pleased to find a nice hardtail Ibby.

But the neck isn't quite as nice as my RS530 Roadstar II (although it's still quite good) and there are so many other guitars out there that I may get tempted and buy something else while waiting for another pristine blue SZ520QM to come up at as good a price again.

So, with that in mind, what are my best options in the upto $500 range? I'm in the UK, so that translates to around £330, but I'm happy to buy from the States etc.

Having a neck thru or set neck gives me something a bit different to my other guitars, so really, I'm thinking another SZ or maybe an RGT, but don't know how their necks feel compared to the Roadstar.

The other option, which found its way into my head thanks to random eBay browsing, is a Pro540r. Now, these things look awesome! And the shape is something a bit different. The neck is a bolt on, of course, and so that's the one thing putting me off, but I don't want to miss out on the best guitar I could buy purely because of any kind of specific idea in my mind!

So I put it to you guys! Gimme some recommendations!

See less See more
#2 ·
A used RG570 or RG550.
Some would swear the late 80's and early 90's models are the best but I prefer the late 90's and early 00's models equiped with an Edge Pro and a bubinga striped super wizard. Many can be found for under $500 here in the States.
Good luck!

#3 ·
Will one of those give me a nice warm tone with the right pickups? I play mostly general rock and some pop punk stuff. Nothing heavier than the odd bit of Metallica, so although these guitars are often associated with metal, I'm hoping the right pickups will give me what I want.

I love the thin necks Ibanez produce :)

#5 ·
If you don't mind having a solid color and dot inlays, go for a SZ320. For your neck issue on the SZ's, you have to sand the gloss off the back of the neck. It makes a world of difference! I used 1000 grit paper and finished it off with #0000 steel wool.

In the non-ibby world, most of the set-neck Schecters feel almost the same as the SZ but usually come with better pickups. ;)

#8 ·
Actually I don't have any issues with the finish. My RS530 has a painted neck. It feels nice to me, it's just the shape isn't exactly the same, but then that's going to be the case on any non Roadstar guitar I buy, so I accept that.

I think I am turning into some sort of Ibanez collector. I am not even in a band or even that great at playing! :D

I am working on changing both of those points though!

#9 ·
Also, which of the RGT's would be equivalent to an RG550 or 1550?

What's the deal with the RGA121? Is that up to that standard?

If another SZ520QM comes up in the right colour at the right price, I think it's still the front runner for me here, but I really want to know/learn more about these other models.

#13 ·
There's just been an interesting development...... an RG2570 neck has just turned up on evilbay..... I have an RG2570 body in one of my wardrobes...... but the bargain SZ520 I bought last week (before it turned up damaged) was around the same price as this neck on its own....

Do I buy it and build the 2570??

I think I know the answer.....

#14 ·
I can't believe I'm suggesting against an RG, but if you really want a warm melodic tone I think you should be looking at an AR. Either the 420 or 325 (same guitar-different looks) are extremely well made examples of Ibanez's "non-shredder" guitars. They are not copys of "gibson-like" guitars. They are instruments of they're own fame. They've been the "red-headed step child" of Ibanez since the 70's..deinitely within your price range (used), and worth a serious look!!!!

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-AR420

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.