Ibanez JEM Forum banner

BODYBUILDING THREAD

12K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  waylay00 
#1 ·
I recently got into bodybuilding, and wow has it made me feel great!! Just wondering if any of you other jemsiters are into BB!

If so, then let's get some talk going!
Supplements, training, progress pics, dieting, etc! I'll post some pics of my personal progress the last 6 months later this evening!

#2 ·
Yep.....its essential for truly living life to the fullest.

Just natural weights and cardio over here with a clean diet,lots of water and vitamins.

I eat every 3hrs or so,portions about the size of my fist with 30-40grams of protein.
Water consumption at 500ml-1 litre per hour.

Cardio = 20 mins most mornings,brisk incline tread mill walk burning 200-300 cals.

weights = reverse pyramid set(5 sets)bar curl,military press,push ups,hammer curls,tricep kick backs,shoulder shrugs...etc.

I just eat clean and do whatever i feel like on my weight days,i have about 3- 4 days off between weights.
I try and do cardio every morning plus work full time manual labour.

Supps= whey isolate(plain),Creatine.
Vitamins= multi,C,D,B,calcium,zinc,glucosamine,fish oil.
Cinnamon(teaspoon per day)= Thermagenic(increases metabolism) + it mimics insulin in the body reduceing insulin spike with high GI foods etc.

This is just my thing and works for me.

Im not trying to compete but i take it seriously,especially diet!!
My wifes very happy,im fit and strong and most people think im at least 10 years younger than i am.....GET INTO IT!!

Goodluck with your goals and listen to your body,slow n steady wins the race.

#3 · (Edited)
I've been lifting weights for 13 years. I don't consider myself a bodybuilder, since I don't train like a "typical" BB. Much of what I do focuses on getting stronger.

Supplements: Ya have to be careful with these, since there is so much crap on the market. Currently, I use protein powder, fish oil, caffeine, and a few vitamins.

Training: I usually follow a 4 day a week schedule: 2 Upper Body, 2 Lower Body. The main lifts are done with lower (1-5) reps. Supplemental lifts are done with higher (8-12) reps.

Pics: I have nothing in recent years worth posting!

Dieting: If I'm trying to lose fat, I do better with some sort of low carb diet that peridically reintroduces carbs at specified intervals. (ie. not Atkins!)

#4 · (Edited)
Ya man I've been at it since mid January this year (2012)
I fee better and better every day, I'm in it 100%
I lift 6 days a week, some may say its overworking but I'm a mesomorph in the extreme, and I'm making really good gains from it. I recently got a job at GNC (national supplement store) and I get great deals in supps

My current stack is
Mega men sport multivitamin
Censor CLA
Liporush (thermo with dmaa)
Kre Alkalyn Creatine
Big Blue NO booster with beta alanine
Pump fuel OR ACG3 OR Jack3d as pre workout
Amplify XL and cellmass as post workout
Core fuel intra workout
N test 600 / Z test test boosters ( for increased protein absorption )
Casein protein pre bed
Fish oil

My current diet is for cutting a little more BF
240g protein
80g carbs
36g healthy fats

My lifts are MWF - chest, biceps, abs
Tues Thurs Sat - Lats, Triceps, traps, delts, quads

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x421/Bryancap77/

That link is my picture timeline of the last 6 months

Starting weight - about 178lbs
Current weight - between 176-184lbs
Goal - 205-210lbs
Current BF% between 6.9-8%

^^^^^ bf was closer to 9 or 10% haha I was trippin

#5 ·
I topped out with bench presses just over 310 lbs and was till going strong till I damaged my shoulder. I don't miss the dieting, but I do miss the size and strength, I've tried to get back into it but a busy job and a young family have changed my priorities.

#6 ·
I started lifting weights last year. Had to stop 2 months ago when I had carpal tunnel surgery, but I am getting back to it. A good way to lose weight is to do your weight lifting first so you burn all your sugar out of your muscles, then do some cardio to burn the fat!! I have lost 100 pounds in the last 2 years!!

#12 ·
I got into BB in high school. I'm only about 5'8 and, at the time, weighed 235 lbs. I was motivated to lose it all, but didn't know how. I met a guy into BB my 2nd year in university and took it seriously, dropping down to about 185 lbs. Well, 12 years later, full time job, married life, and lack of time/money for eating as much as I could took its toll and I fell out of the competitive side (not that I did ever compete, but was training for it).

I still train religiously, but have added running to the mix for cardio, and occasional yoga. I'm sitting around 155 lbs now and quite lean. I practice a mix of BB and powerlifting now to keep up strength and a little bit of size (I'm no monster though!) through deadlifts, cleans, and squats (I've never had a big bench).

I always mix up my workouts every 4-6 weeks to keep the body guessing and to not get into a stale routine.

My current stack includes Muscle Pharm Assault for a pre-workout drink, a BCAA/glutamine mix to sip on during my workouts, as well as whey throughout the day (usually post workout and before bed).

I always aim for about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight and have been maintaining my size for about 2 years now. My main protein sources are fish, chicken, and lean beef, as well as eggs.

I've learned to listen to my body/mind when it comes to rest. If one of those is off, I rest. If I'm not fully healed from a workout, I won't be able to put up the weight I want to and I don't like training if my head isn't into it that day - lack of concentration/unproductive workout.

I still read a lot about nutrition/physiology and try to keep an active interest in the sport locally, and nationally. I'll probably continue training for years to come.

The gym is one of my mistresses, says my wife!

#17 ·
don't you think it is a little boring? no speed(no drugs!) or danger or heavy competition?
And....where are the girls? ofcourse everybody can have their hobby but there is more out there than oversized muscles. i have done it a few monts, been there, done that.

-downhill mtb
-martial arts
-mountain climbing

it gives you a good body too, and it gives a thrill when you do it! excitement!

and you see great places and met great people !

#18 ·
don't you think it is a little boring? no speed(no drugs!) or danger or heavy competition?
And....where are the girls? ofcourse everybody can have their hobby but there is more out there than oversized muscles. i have done it a few monts, been there, done that.

-downhill mtb
-martial arts
-mountain climbing

it gives you a good body too, and it gives a thrill when you do it! excitement!

and you see great places and met great people !
The competition is kind of intense in a way.

But the reason I like it is because it's not like anything else in the world in alot of ways.
You learn so much about yourself, you learn how much your truly capable of. Controlling your eating habits, pushing through pain, being consistent. There are ZERO other factors beside you. You control every result.

#21 ·
So I stopped bulking last month. Got up to 208lbs. Now I'm cutting. Been doing the Krav Maga for cardio and the lifting 6 days a week still, alot of intensity when I lift.

My lifts have gone up also
Bench - 325
Squat - 410
Dead lift - 405 (hurt back)
Preacher curl - 135

#25 ·
very impressive on lifting. I started an MMA style workout not too long ago. I like it quite a bit. I have lost some weight and put on some muscle . I am 6' 1 and was at around 180 to 185 which was up from my usual 175. I am back down to 178 and have more muscle. I am not trying to bulk up at all though. I just want to be lean and cut. I am in the army so running with all that extra mass really sucks.

this isn't the workout i am doing now, i tried it and it is brutal though. I couldn't do more than 25 of most workouts. If you watch UFC this workout comes from Army Staff Sergeant Colton Smith.

The Flithy 50

Station 1: 50 handstand pushups

Start upside down with your feet up against a wall and your arms locked out. Lower yourself until your head almost touches the floor and then push back up again for single rep.

"If you can, knock them all out at once; otherwise, come down off the wall, take a quick break and then keep going," Smith says. "Just remember: If you take breaks, you're losing time."

Station 2: 50 push presses

Start standing, feet shoulder-width apart, knees bent slightly, back straight, with a 45-pound weightlifting bar held at your chest. Using an overhand grip with hands at about shoulder width, push the bar straight above your head and then back down to your chest for one rep. For more challenge, if you can handle it, put a pair of 25- or 45-pound plates on the bar.

Station 3: 50 bench presses

Start lying on a bench holding a 45-pound bar with hands shoulder-width apart. "When pushing the bar up, you're exhaling and locking your arms out and then bringing it all the way back down to your chest," Smith says. "Just touch the chest, no bouncing it, no resting it." Again, use a pair of plates for an added challenge.

Station 4: 50 bent-over rows

Holding a 75-pound bar just below your chest, start standing with knees slightly bent while bending over at the waist but not bowing your back. Keeping your spine straight, lower the bar until your elbows are fully extended, then pull the bar back up to right below your chest.

Station 5: 50 box jumps

In front of a 3-foot box, start in a squatting position, then jump onto the box. "Once you're up, stand straight up, locking your legs all the way out." Jump back down. Repeat.

Station 6: 50 wall ball squats

Stand facing a wall with a 15-pound medicine ball in both hands. Drop into a 90-degree squat, then explode up, throwing the ball 15 to 20 feet up against the wall. As the ball comes back down, catch it while returning back down into the squatting position. Marking a line or taping an X on the wall provides a good aiming point and keeps you honest on your throws.

Station 7: 50-meter burpee long jumps

From a standing position, drop into pushup position and do a single pushup. As you return to a standing position, instead of jumping straight up - as you would for a normal burpee - do a feet-together long jump. As you land, go back down into your next burpee. Keep going until you've gone 50 meters.

Station 8: 50 overhead medicine ball slams

Hold an 18- to 20-pound medicine ball over your head with your arms locked out. Throw the ball straight down into the ground, bending over to catch it as it bounces up slightly. Return to the starting position and repeat.

#26 ·
Dayum that takes some endurance bro! Very crazy stuff there, I'd be pretty exhausted after that. I keep my workouts between 35-45 minutes, no more. That's the optimal amount of time for growth hormone secretion, and little enough to prevent overtraining and catabolism.

#30 ·
Decided to get in shape @246.8lbs (110kgs) 2 years ago.
I have worked out through out life on and off and I'm usually happy around 216lbs (98kg),built but not ripped outta my mind.
But this time i want to be real fit,real ripped... at least once in my life so I'm having a shot at 10% body fat.
Size is not the goal but i will take what i can get,but aesthetics and cut are my goal.
Its a lot easier for me to bulk than cut but I'm enjoying the challenge.

I am 6.2 for the record,so I'm getting leaner....but a long way to go until i see what i want.
The good thing is i have been 200lbs (give or take a couple) for over a year,slowly moving fat and building a little muscle.

Huge set of shoulders Bryan......your picture looks bigger than your weight would suggest.

#31 ·
I joined BBForum and am going to start into this soon. I need to make one more large guitar purchase and then I can afford the supps. So when that happens, i'm game. I'm 5' 9" and currently weigh 150 lbs. I lifted during my spring semester of my senior year in high school and saw some pretty good gains. My bench went from 125 to 175. My squat also went from 210 to 305. I did that without watching my diet and without supps. I Kind of fell off the gym routine during my fall semester of college, so i'm looking to get back on it asap. I'm going to take it much more seriously this time around.

I'm working with a 5x5 routine that was modified by Jason Blaha. That guy is a beast.

Supps will be:
Optimum Whey and Casein
Optimum AmiN.O X booster
Opti-men multi
and fish oil
I
I'm going to dirty bulk eating about 3400-3500 calories a day. Shooting to increase from 150 to roughly 180ish by the end of the year. I've found that controlling the diet is the hardest part; well, for me at least. I don't have all of the nutritional information for my dining hall so it makes it tough.

#32 ·
Good luck man. Let me know how it goes for you. I'm currently on a recomp (I'm all natty, only use OTC supps) but I'm on a sort of CKD Keto diet called the Anabolic Diet. I've lost a ton of fat, but stayed the same weight and gained alot of size in my arms (16 1/2-17 in) in 9 freaking days so far. It's a baller diet, hard to adjust to initially, but every weekend I can eat like 20,000 cals of anything, and still lose fat and gain lean mass. Ive been lifting for almost exactly a year now, ill post a transformation pic so you can know what you can expect

#35 ·
it seems like the anabolic diet is sort of like a revised adkins. No carbs(except weekends), mostly protein and good fat. I could see how it works. carbs/sugars are usually what do people in. Things like soft drinks and candy are empty calories, potatos and starches are so tasty but dont do the same as protein.

either way the key to me is balance and consistency. As long as you have a good balance of protein/carbs and can cut out empty calories the weight should come off easily. For bulking up though the anabolic sounds like the way to go.

As far as supps, i have found that i can't do most. I tired to take jack3d when i lifted but it ****ed me up too bad and i couldn't do cardio on it. I tried hornet juice and it messed my stomach up. I tried a nitrous pill and it jacked my stomach up too. About the only thing i can do is protein. So aside from protein i dont take anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.