Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Dean Guitars? Gibson V?

12K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  yzerman 
#1 ·
Anyone played the USA model Deans? Like the ML1ooo's? I really like the looks of them, and I hear the necks are awesome and I need a good metal type guitar.. I'm looking at these or the V by Dean made in the USA as well, or a Gibson V. I like the Deans, but I like the Gibson's too.. I'm also checking out the Japanese ESP Eclipse which I really like.. Hard choices. I need a short scaled Set neck guitar with a floyd basically, or that's what I'm wanting..

Any opinions on the above would be helpful. .
Thanks
Tim

#38 ·
Khaas,

I do have a couple questions if you don't mind sir.

I'm wondering what they weigh? Specs? Do you have such specs? If so, would you private me or ? I'd like to know about these guitars.. I love that wood and love V's.. Also, where should I buy one? I'm in Southern Indiana..

Like I said, private me if you don't mind?
Thanks
Tim

#42 ·
I have had two Gibson Flying Vs, both '67 reissues. One was horrid and the other was pretty good but neither anything close to old USA Deans. And as for Japanese ESPs, they completely blow away any Gibson V but are far more expensive. Even the LTDs have better necks than the Flying Vs.

If it's for simple, chunky rhythm passages, then the Gibson V will get you there, but don't attempt to use this as any sort of lead guitar. You can't sit with it comfortably and Gibson simply has not kept up with metal or fast necks.

That being said, they did listen with the thin necked, easy access Les Paul Axcess and that thing is an amazing metal lead guitar and in same price range (or slightly more) than the Japanese ESP Eclipses.

#43 · (Edited)
If it's for simple, chunky rhythm passages, then the Gibson V will get you there, but don't attempt to use this as any sort of lead guitar. You can't sit with it comfortably and Gibson simply has not kept up with metal or fast necks.
My government flying V is almost ( almost) as fast as my RG 920 mqm Premium wizard 3 neck.

It is defintely possible to shred on it. I would assume it is not the same neck as your 67 reissue's though.

And no problem sitting down with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.