Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem 20th Anniversary Acrylic one. Should I get one?

10K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  adnecs 
#1 ·
I'm really confused since some reviews say it's great some say it's crappy.

I know acrylic will not produce as good a sound as wood but won't a decent amp fix that completely?

Is it worth getting one of these or for the price of one of these ($5500) is it worth rounding up two other jems like Rock Mirror and a Jem 7VWH? Or am i better off with something exclusive?

I have a UV77RE already but have not purchased a jem yet.

Please help guys especially if someone has played these? Also something about the weight????

#2 ·
I came close to buying one. I was in a shop ordering a 7VWH and they had the 20th anniversary there. I plugged it up and to my ears I felt it played really nice. Nothing to comment on really, It just felt like the pick-ups were sharper than usual since they weren't affected by tone wood. Not saying that is bad or good, but for what it's worth, I thought it was a really cool guitar. The green lights too. It was just wicked to be holding haha. It is expensive and I won't lie, it is quite heavy, but anyone who isn't 60+, shouldn't really mind. Let's be honest here, most of us aren't planning on taking it on stage for 3 hours + and those of you that do and complain should remember that before a time of weight relieving and chambering, lots of musicians played Les Pauls that weighed just as much ;).

#5 ·
20th's are swirls, and like swirls there are good ones and bad ones, and the rest in between. Unfortunately there are very few really good ones, and I haven't seen a good one for sale in a long time. If you're going to buy one be picky and get a good one.

#6 ·
Rich, brett, jaxadam, & Fender,

Thank you very much for the fast responses. I've been looking at these for months (all jems) and studying all of em.

I'm realistic that i wont get a hold of a gmc original from 91 or 92 for love nor money, however some that are closer to my era.... are more likely.

like a DNA and i like the swirls. Very different and original as opposed to other 40 brands that look similar.

I will try it and i am picky about paying money for a bad swirl. I shall let you guys know how I get on.

JAXADAM - What's it like playing wise on an every day basis?

#15 ·
I have lots of solace ;)

I've seen a few others and if I'm ever going to pull the trigger it would only be for one of them, but, 20th's don't give me goose bumps like paint swirls do, and I'd personally rather spend the money on another of those ;)

#16 ·
That's the only Jem I like 100%.
The only time I saw one here in a store, they were asking 12.000 dollars!
It should have a sign saying = Only for lawyers, engineers and doctors!
Musicians can't pay that much for a guitar unless you have a famous band.
I could buy 16 rgs with that value!
BUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#22 ·
Rich is right. It's hard to find a good one. They either lack the swirls leaving an area bare or some have them going all over each other. The overlays make them look bad.
Question
1) how long can the battery last for the lights? if i remember correctly - rich said 20mins to an hour?
2) can the lights be changed should they fail? Anyone experience this?
3) what about the acrylic. Does it yellow in anyway?

If anyone is selling, do let me know. I'm keen to explore and have it as a little brother to my JS2KPLT

#29 ·
congrats on the buy. i don't agree with rich that there are not many good ones. .
That only means you've never seen a really good one ;)

If you had you'd know what I mean, but I've only seen 3 so far. The catalog guitar [Steve's] is a really good one. There are plenty that are decent, they did make 500 of them, but they made a whole lot that are not very appealing at all. Not to me anyway, ya'all may freely demonstrate your own tastes.

#31 ·
It's personal opinion. The guitar in the link is beautiful to me because of the even spacing of the swirls. As in there is no real empty space with swirls particularly the green ones which really come out with the lights. Some I've seen lacked them under the neck pickup or at the body above the bridge. Anyway this is what I think.

#32 ·
For those interested, there is seller I was talking to whom I almost bought the JEM20th from. He owns a shop in Italy and he needs to off load some guitars. He was quite flexible in price. His name is Marco. The Jem20th he has is signed by Vai (although some would say it doesnt matter). If you are interested, do a look up on ebay for him or message me for his contact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.